Best LCD Monitor For Gamers on a Budget?

Hello all,

I went into Staples today to buy some packing tape for a move and I ended up walking out with an Envision 17" LCD for $170. When I got back to the office I read reviews that said it might not be the best monitor for gamers.

Anyone here use an LCD monitor for MVP? If so, what do you use?

I'm using an older Envision 17" that my friend let me borrow after my new GC fried my old Dell LCD. It works great for MVP though newer games looked much nicer on my Dell which was older still. I'd like to get a 20" Dell LCD, about $350 shipped on EBAY.

I bought a used Envision 15" monitor from Best Buy and I think it works fine for MVP. Obviously since it's an LCD you have to view it from a good angle or else everything turens dark, but wouldn't that be a problem with all LCDs?

you need a fast response rate to avoid ghosting in lcd monitors. 9-12 ms or less should be good for games and movies. the larger the monitor the more noticable the ghosting is. $170 for a 17 inch is ok envision isn't top of the line. but for a few more dollars you could have gotten a 19 inch with a much faster response time and a much higher quality monitor. possibly a samsung, viewsonic, planar, LG etc. depending on what the current deal is.

i reommend buy.com for lcd's for some reason they always have great deals and normally free shipping.

ps - this should be in the technical forum. i'm moving it there.

I went out an bought the highest quality 19" Sony Flat Panel Monitor I could find to replace my older 19" Hitachi CRT Display. Mainly to save space on the desk not necessarily for a higher quality picture because I was pretty satisfied with the Hitachi.

But within two hours of viewing the newer Sony I noticed some lagging in the players as the screen would pan during outfield plays. I tried everthing to correct it but then decided to go back and make certain my older Hitachi CRT didn't have that same lagging as well.

Sure enough my old Hitachi was smooth as could be and the quality of the picture was just as good (or even a little better perhaps) so I decided I was going to return the Sony and keep the Hitachi.

During returning the Sony the fellow at Best Buy asked why I was returning the Sony since it was one of the highest rated ones. Once I told him of my reasons due to apparent panning problems with MVP 2005 he ask if I was replacing a Desktop and of course I told him yes. He then told me that no Flat Panel currently on the market would perform as well as an older high quality Desktop CRT because the refresh rates in quality CRT's are higher than any available presently in Flat Panel Monitors.

I was surprised to hear that and actually a little dissappointed but then in the end it saved me like $400 or so as best I recall - this was about 1-2 months ago.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone here disagrees with what I was told by the Best Buy fellow which I seemed to think was up todate on his information.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone here disagrees with what I was told by the Best Buy fellow which I seemed to think was up todate on his information.

i do. most of those guys are idiots- i never shop there unless it is an absolute emergency and it's the only nearby place if i need say a cable or something smaller for a repair job. i find most of the lcd's these super stores stock are way overpriced and more suited for the general home office type user. what he should have said is "we don't stock lcd's suitable for gaming because noone would pay our over inflated prices for them".

what was the response rate of that sony? 12ms response rate and lower (ie- 8ms and the newer 3ms) should work great on mvp. i know many who use lcd for much more intensive games with no ghosting (lagging issues) whatsoever- mvp is not that resource intensive.

again. look at buy.com (or new egg) and look for something with a 12ms response time or lower. compare prices but for whatever reason lately (as i mentioned above) buy.com is beating newegg on certain name brand units.

for almost half the price you could get a 19 inch lcd that would blow that sony away ranging between 4-8ms response time and also not much more in price than a 17 inch lcd at a lot of superstores: http://www.buy.com/cat/19_lcd_display_moni...tors/17151.html

Archived