Free way to remove Spyware and such...

aaronuconn

Ad Aware is pretty good. It doesn't prevent stuff from coming onto your PC; it just finds and removes things that are already there.

I got Spy Sweeper and PC-Cillin (antivirus, firewall, etc.) from Best Buy, and even though the price was a little steep, it was worth it. My PC was barely startable (word?) and these programs brought it back to life. These programs keep things from getting on your PC in the first place. You can use them to scan as well, just in case something slipped past them the first time.

Get these two AS WELL AS Ad Aware. Each program finds one thing that the other may have missed. It's good to keep each other in check.

spybot s&d used with ad aware personal will do as good a job, block bots, and scan your system as well - if not better as any pay program. toss in avg free edition for antivirus and if you don't have a hardware firewall use sygate personal (free again). and you're set without spending a dime or adding any prepackaged bloatware.

i haven't had a virus or malware in years...

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly get a pop up from regfix. It claims that my computer is infected (which it isn't) and tells me to go to a site. I did a search on google and it seems to be a very common popup since there are some programs that supposedly get rid of it. However, I tried it but it didn't work. It's very annoying because it happens every 10 minutes or so and especially when playing mvp it's a real pain.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I regularly get a pop up from regfix. It claims that my computer is infected (which it isn't) and tells me to go to a site. I did a search on google and it seems to be a very common popup since there are some programs that supposedly get rid of it. However, I tried it but it didn't work. It's very annoying because it happens every 10 minutes or so and especially when playing mvp it's a real pain.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I had the exact same thing, then I just did what RAM said to use.

I found that Spybot Search and Destroy didn't get rid of that many things. Got rid of stuff; just not that much.

Like I said before, I use PC-Cillin and Spy Sweeper to actively block new things from coming on, and Ad-Aware every once in a while to check for things on the hard drive. PC-Cillin and Spy Sweeper seem to always let some cookies and other tracking stuff (MRU Lists?) fall through the cracks, so Ad-Aware cleans 'em up for me.

i've found ewido antivirus is very good... you can get a free trial and use it to clean up your pc and then decide whether to remove it, steal it, or buy it... but i shall not say anymore so that i dont get in trouble :)

I found that Spybot Search and Destroy didn't get rid of that many things. Got rid of stuff; just not that much.

reread my original post. i mention spybot AND adaware. first run spybot then adaware. in conjunction they will catch it all. it's always best to use 2 apps. no single app will catch them all. it makes even more sense to use 2 free apps that are critically acclaimed. ad the free AVG antivirus, a free firewall by sygate (or run behind a harwdare firewall) and what have you got?

no out of pocket expense. (unless you go with hardware firewall /router)

no subscription fees.

a safe system.

no bloatware and added spyware incorporated into some pay programs- ie symansuck.

i use these free apps along with many others for my clients and repair major issues on a daily basis. it just makes sense.

Archived