QUESTION: Do classics replace the current game?

abc006

I'm interested in the classics, and I'd like to install it, but I want to know if it replaces the old MVP 05/06, or if it installs a whole new game in a sense in a way... I'm not sure, but I'd appreciate if you'd help me. Thanks!

Total Classics is not a totally new install. It is a collection of files (rosters, portraits, uniforms, faces, stadiums, etc.) that are installed on top of an existing game installation. So the short answer to your question is "Yes", it will overwrite your existing files BUT there is a simple way of having two separate installations, one for "regular" MVP and one for Total Classics. Here's how you do it:

1. Make a copy of your entire MVP Baseball 2005 folder (and all subdirectories).

2. Rename the copied MVP Baseball 2005 folder to something else (for example "MVP Classics"). You now have two separate copies of MVP Baseball installed.

3. When you install Total Classics and are asked where to install the files, select your "MVP Classics" folder. Make sure that when you select the folder that you double click on it so that the subfolder icons appear (i.e. you actually open up the MVP Classics folder). If you don't do this, the install will fail (trust me, this happened to me).

4. Create a new desktop icon by copying the original MVP Baseball 2005 desktop icon. Rename the new icon to MVP Classics and edit the shortcut to point to MVP Classics folder.

That's all there is to it!

Both versions of MVP ("Regular" and MVP Classics) have to share the profiles, .SAV rosters and dynasty files contained with the MVP Baseball 2005 directory within My Documents but that isn't a big deal. Everything else is separate like stadiums, uniforms, teams etc etc .....

Also, remember that if you want to install new stadiums, new uniforms, etc. and you want to install it in both versions of MVP that you need to run the installation twice, once for Regular MVP and once for MVP Classics.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Make a copy of your entire MVP Baseball 2005 folder (and all subdirectories).

2. Rename the copied MVP Baseball 2005 folder to something else (for example "MVP Classics"). You now have two separate copies of MVP Baseball installed.

Let's say I got MVP 2005, Classics 6, MVP 61, and MVP 1994. Do you then have to do Step 1 (make a copy) three times, one for each new edition of the game, or do 61 and '94 fall under Classics 6?

• 11 months later...

Total Classics is not a totally new install. It is a collection of files (rosters, portraits, uniforms, faces, stadiums, etc.) that are installed on top of an existing game installation. So the short answer to your question is "Yes", it will overwrite your existing files BUT there is a simple way of having two separate installations, one for "regular" MVP and one for Total Classics. Here's how you do it:

3. When you install Total Classics and are asked where to install the files, select your "MVP Classics" folder. Make sure that when you select the folder that you double click on it so that the subfolder icons appear (i.e. you actually open up the MVP Classics folder). If you don't do this, the install will fail (trust me, this happened to me).

4. Create a new desktop icon by copying the original MVP Baseball 2005 desktop icon. Rename the new icon to MVP Classics and edit the shortcut to point to MVP Classics folder.

That's all there is to it!

Both versions of MVP ("Regular" and MVP Classics) have to share the profiles, .SAV rosters and dynasty files contained with the MVP Baseball 2005 directory within My Documents but that isn't a big deal. Everything else is separate like stadiums, uniforms, teams etc etc .....

Also, remember that if you want to install new stadiums, new uniforms, etc. and you want to install it in both versions of MVP that you need to run the installation twice, once for Regular MVP and once for MVP Classics.

I not sure I understand that last bit about the stadiums. Does that mean that the stadiums will be the same for BOTH versions? If so, how do you have classic stadiums and the MVP07 stadiums?

I only ask because I over worte most the the classic stadiums with Bod's minor league parks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just ran out to the store for my wife and it dawned on me that I didn't really comprehend what was written.

Archived