DH*Wild Card*Interleague Play*All-Star Advantage

JoeRudi26

Just curious as to people's thoughts on these issues in Major League Baseball. Most people have different opinions, likes and dislikes, and reasons why concerning these issues.

Here are mine:

Designated Hitter

1. Enables power hitters and older players that can't perform well enough physically on the field to extend their careers and productively help out their team. Edgar Martinez is a good example of this. Even though he was 'finished' defensively, he continued to put up monster numbers at the plate. Good for him. I was totally surprised to see Mark McGwire not go back to the AL and pass up an opportunity like this when he retired, but oh well.

2. At least in the AL, this enables pitchers to focus on what they do best. Pitching. But that's just me, I like a good duel between two outstanding pitchers better than anything in baseball. It takes more strategy to strike out Albert Pujols than Pujols to blast off against watered down pitching. No knock on Pujols, just a general example.

Dislikes

1. On the flipside, I don't like a whole league of pitchers hiding behind this rule when they want to bean someone, whether making a statement or in retaliation.

2. If you're going to have or NOT have this rule, do it in both leagues. Evenening the 'playing field' during interleague play is interesting, but either way you slice it, it's not fair for 95% of the regular season.

3. The concern whether pitchers should have to hit or not really doesn't matter to me. If it was up to me, I would rather see them focus on pitching, so therefore, ban the DH rule altogether.

Wild Card

1. I love the addition of the Wild Card. It enables an extra team in each league to have something to shoot for. The wildcard race (to me) is just as exciting as a division race. And it's been proven to work. 2003 Florida Marlins.

Dislikes

1. In some cases, AL East for example, the Wild Card seems a bit unfair. Take a team like Minnesota, for example, wins the central division with 85 wins, and Boston, for example, finishes with 96 wins and places 2nd in their division only to secure a Wild Card spot. Of course Minnesota has 'field' advantages over Boston, when it's apparent that Boston is a much better team. I know, I know.. It's the rules, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. For me, the NYY/Boston rivalry is the best in baseball, it's just sad they have to be in the same division. Again, oh well..

Interleague Play

1. Adds a bit of flavor to the season, letting teams get a different look at different stadiums and pitchers.

2. AL pitchers have to hit. Something SOME of them have never done in the bigs. Not only is it fun to watch, it can be hilarious.

Dislikes

1. I like the element of buildup. Interleague play (though short) takes away some of that element. Each league is different, and teams are uncomparible if left in their own league. For me, I'd rather not have interleague play and just wait until the World Series.

All-Star (World Series) Home Field Advantage

1. The only reason I like this rule is because more *5 Star players are apt to play, and the competition can be a real one, not a carnival.

Dislikes

2. Overriding my 'likes', I absolutely hate this rule. In all of the rules ever implemented in any sport, I think this is the most ridiculous rule I have ever seen. Teams fight within their own division to get to the playoffs and secure home field advantages. Now, it has no meaning whatsoever building up to the World Series. Selig is an idiot.

This whole thread is not intended to be a 'bash and forth' type of thread. These are my personal reasons why I like and don't like these rules, and I'm not asking anyone to 'combat' my personal reasoning of the way I see these rules. Actually, I'm interested in your opinions and WHY you like and don't like these rules.

Also something that having a DH does is help the pitchers to stay healthy more.. there's a higher chance of injury for pitchers if they have to run the bases and bat.

Good point. Some would say that it evens things up and they would have to take the same risks as position players, but like I said, the more they focus on pitching, the better the game is. (my opinion)

However, the DH rule also makes NL teams weaker in hitting.

AL teams can just keep a player on the team for the sole purpose of hitting, whereas in the NL, that particular player must be able to defend and play the entire game of baseball.

Make no mistake, I love the DH rule, but it severely weakens all NL teams.

How many pitchers lose significant time due to batting/baserunning injuries? I would venture to guess it's minimal compared to pitching related injuries.

I'm on the fence where the DH is concerned. I guess I don't care either way, but I would like to see both leagues play by the same rules, regardless of what they are.

i wish the dh rule was the same for both leagues (i don't whether to have it or not)

the only real problem i have with any of the rules is the all-star game one. You don't award an important reward for an exhibition game. I think it's stupid.

DH-

Being a NL guy, I hate the DH. Been watching interleague games this week, and when the DH is used, there is virtually no strategy in a game. How often do you see a double-switch in the AL? How often do you see a sacrifice bunt? To me, with having the pitcher hit, you see more strategy involved in games where a manager has to decide that if he pinch-hits for the pitcher, does that person stay in the game and the pitcher bats in another position, etc.

All-Star Adv.-

I agree here.....totally stupid. The only reason the AS game in Milwaukee a few years ago ended in a tie was due to the managers trying to get everyone in the game and depleting the bullpens in an extra inning game. IF I was a manager of a club and one of my pitchers was the last pitcher to be used, I would be pissed if he had to throw 4-5 innings in a virtually meaningless game. Depending on the pitcher (starter or relief) it could throw off the rotation when league play resumes or in the case of the bullpen, you may not be able to use that guy in relief for the next league game. On the flip side, if you make the All-Star team, you should be able to participate in the game......I would be happy to see the AS game end in a tie after 9inn if everyone gets in the game and abolish this rule. Also, I feel that the team with the best winning % throughout the year should have home-field all the way through the playoffs....they EARNED it!

DH

Hands down one of the worst rules in baseball. Why? I don't know...being an NL guy I just don't like it.

Wild Card

One of the best new ideas baseball has had in some time. It's competitive, it allows teams in better divisions a shot at making the playoffs, and it works, Boston in 04, Florida in 03, Anaheim in 02, all were wild card teams.

Interleague Play

I kinda like it. It's great to see the Mets play the Yankees, the Orioles play the Nationals, the Reds play the Indians, the Phillies play the Pirates, the Giants play the A's, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim play the Dodgers, the Cubs play the Sox, the Astros play the Rangers, hell, even the Royals Cardinals series and Marlins DRays series, but seriously, raise your hand if you want to see Royals-Marlins, or D-Backs-D-Rays.

All-Star Advantage

Seriously, who cares. What happens when the World Series is won in 5 games? Or 4? Where's your "Home Field Advantage" now?

DH

The problem I have is that everyone says NL ball has more strategy. Maybe it does, but that doens't neccesarily make the game tougher or more interesting.

Teams might as well not have #8 hitters, because most of the time they get an untintentional-intentional walk, or an intentional walk. That makes it almost impossible to put together any comebacks or rallies, because right in the middle of it, you get a guy in a warmup suit come up and hack away at three pitches and not come close to any of them. Either that, or the very entertaining 'sac bunt.'

Most NL teams don't have a powerful middle of the lineup, as most of them lack one more impact player. Its well known that good pitching beats good hitting, so why not try to even out the odds a bit more.

If there were any pitchers in the game today that weren't a complete embarassment when trying to hit, I would feel differently. If a team could get equal production from a pitcher that they would from an average position player, say a .260-.270 batting average, .330-.350 OBP and maybe 10-15 homeruns, it wouldn't be as big of a problem. You might as well make quarterbacks play middle linebacker.

Archived