(latest nvidia drivers) Advice on fx5200

Minnesota Twins

I recently purchased the GeForce FX 5200 (128mb)and upgraded from my old Geforce 2 TI(64mb) and am now able to max out the graphics...Evrything looks real nice

here is my problem though... no matter what display setting I choose and refresh rate the game play is still a little choppy at times... here ar the specs on the rest of my system

1.04 Ghz amd athlon

256 mb of ram

and a noble view monitor that supports 1280 X 1024

(classic case of the guy who buys the nice Vid card but can't afford to overhaul the rest of the system lol) :D

Anybody have any advice on what to upgrade besides the Video card...?

Where should I start for better performance...?

Thanks in advance

I use an Nvidia card as well (GeForce4 Ti4200) and the things that have helped me are as follows:

New drivers...56.72 is the one available at Nvidia.com, but there are newer 'beta' versions out there...I'm currently using 61.72.

Go into your control panel settings an move AntiAliasing up to 2X or even 2XQ...you can mess around with the other settings in there as well, but I think AA is the one that matters most. I'm using 2XQ for AA, 2X for AF, "Performance" setting, and Vsync off. EA suggests using a refresh rate of 60Hz with Vsync on, but I can't stand 60Hz, it bothers my eyes, I'm at 85 and it looks great.

There is definitely something strange about the coding of this game because it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I use, I get pretty much the same performance...increasing AA and AF has an effect on performance though. As soon as I turned on AA the game smoothed out immensely.

the next least costly way of upgrading would be to add more ram if you can. it help with thing over all. you next step depends on your mthermoard. if you havent reached you max cup for the mother board, then you may want to consider upgrading the cpu. the most expeive sepyp would be a new motherboard, cpu, which likley given the board out there means new ram.

throws are the upgrades that ar most exfetiive. given your running on256 ram, vary min inual for systems these says to run much, i just thry that if you bmother bard able to handle it. try going to 512 at least.

good luck

I use an Nvidia card as well (GeForce4 Ti4200) and the things that have helped me are as follows:

New drivers...56.72 is the one available at Nvidia.com, but there are newer 'beta' versions out there...I'm currently using 61.72.

Go into your control panel settings an move AntiAliasing up to 2X or even 2XQ...you can mess around with the other settings in there as well, but I think AA is the one that matters most. I'm using 2XQ for AA, 2X for AF, "Performance" setting, and Vsync off. EA suggests using a refresh rate of 60Hz with Vsync on, but I can't stand 60Hz, it bothers my eyes, I'm at 85 and it looks great.

There is definitely something strange about the coding of this game because it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I use, I get pretty much the same performance...increasing AA and AF has an effect on performance though. As soon as I turned on AA the game smoothed out immensely.

What resolution are you on, spitoon?

But doesn't enabling the Anisotropic settings actually DECREASE performance...If you read description of the setting, it says that increasing it "improves image quality at the cost of performance"

Definitely, that's why I say there is something strange about the coding of this game. When I first got the game I was a bit disappointed by the performance, it was quite jerky...I tried everything, lowering detail levels, changing resolutions, changing video card settings...everything...I tried all the tricks I know to increase performance...I didn't try upping the AA level, because I knew that would decrease performance...then someone mentioned that increasing AA actually helps the performance of this game. I still didn't try it, I know my card/computer very well and there was no way you could convince me that increasing AA would improve performance....then I started thinking about how little the games performance changed even when I set everything for the best performance...I know that sports games are not the most taxing games out there and I can play other games (COD, Medal of Honor, Splinter Cell etc.) with medium to high settings with no problems. So one time I tried it...worked like a charm...My framerate is not that great, around 30-35, with the occasional dip to 20 during some of the walk ups and stuff, but never during the game, and up to 70 or so during some replays.

I know it's odd, but I also know there is something funny about the coding...a buddy of mine has fully 2X the computer I have, with a Radeon 9700Pro and it has always run way smoother on my computer...the AA thing doesn't seem to help his...Patch 2 has a bit, but mine is way smoother.

Hey thanks everyone.. I did a couple of things to help the situation out...

1. When I installed my new graphics card I did not have it in all the way so it reset my bios setup... I had to reconfigure my RAM and CPU speeds... man am I glad I caught that...

2. I am getting a RAM upgrade tomorrow at general nano systems

If you have never checked these guys out it's worth it.. best place in the Twin Cities for any of your hardware needs. Maybe they will give me a discount for the plug eh?

Just a thought if your running an Nvidia card get 6xxx drivers and make profile for the game and baseline test it. Its pretty easy to get the sweet spot if you tweak and test Im using 61.36 drvers on a 5200 ultra and I can crank the detaials and still run respectable frame rates , it just took a while to build the profile.

Well I got another 256 mb of ram which is nice... but where are you finding the 6x.xx drivers? last time I checked they were at 57.xx or something?

Go to www.guru3d.com and on the right hand side of the page click on Nvidia Forceware Drivers...the last one's I got from there were 62.11 I think. Keep in mind they are 'beta' drivers, not official Nvidia releases, so if you are squeamish about stuff like that then wait for Nvidia to release their official set, probably in the next 10 days or so.

Thanks for the info, spitoon. I have a Ti-4600 (56.72) and set it to play MVP with AA set to 2x and v-synch off and 'Quality' setting. I also play it at 1280x1024x32bit with all details set to max. What a turn-around on the stuttering issue!! This game is now playable for me, it doesn't look like 3 balls are thrown at the same time and seems to have an overall better look to it as well.

Once again, THANKS!! :D:D:D

ez

Thanks for the info, spitoon. I have a Ti-4600 (56.72) and set it to play MVP with AA set to 2x and v-synch off and 'Quality' setting. I also play it at 1280x1024x32bit with all details set to max. What a turn-around on the stuttering issue!! This game is now playable for me, it doesn't look like 3 balls are thrown at the same time and seems to have an overall better look to it as well.

Once again, THANKS!! :D:D:D

ez

No problem, I know it's wierd to have to turn up settings to get better performance....I love EA ;)

Just a heads up to all you Nvidia users...

Nvidia just came out with it's latest drivers 61.72 ...

head down to your local nvidia mart and download them...

Those aren't the latest drivers...You should get the 62.11 drivers instead.

Those aren't the latest drivers...You should get the 62.11 drivers instead.

They are the latest "official WHQL drivers", there are many 'beta' sets floating around there...you have to remember that not everyone is comfortable using beta sets.

when I installed the omega drivers... they did not work with the version of direct X I had.. I am sure I messed something up. anyway not that I am afraid of these other drivers.. just have a hard time tweaking them... or even installing them ... lol

What version of DirectX DO you have?? I suggest downloading the beta of the new 9.0c version...Regardless of the fact that it's a beta, it should significantly boost your graphic card's potential performance.

Archived