All Star Baseball(and other old baseball board games)

Ace152

bbAllStarBBCadaco69SM.jpg

Any of you other old guys play this growing up? I plan on picking a version up off ebay for my son this xmas. I had a late 70's version with superstars such as Mike Ivie, Enos Cabell, Dan Ford and Larry Hisle among others. oh, and of course a Babe Ruth disc.

I think I owned and played all of those games through the '60s and early '70s. In fact I know I owned each that you listed plus many others as well.

Strat-O-Matic was the only one that maintained my interest and it did so for years and years.

APBA's football was a cut above Strat-O-Matic's football as was their Basketball game a cut above SOMs.

But for Baseball ---- I honestly believe nothing even came close to Strat-O-Matic if you were at all interested in realism and game play.

I had a 1971 Sports Illustrated board game-with all-time greats for each of the 16 original teams. I owned an ABPA game from 1966. A few years ago I purchased the computer version of Strat-o-matic. I had certain years from the 50's and 60's. I also had all time teams. I quit playing it when I found MVP mods and began playing this. The board games will no longer hold my interest. Even the computer version of Strat-O-Matic is lame compared to the single season games that are now being produced in MVP.

I played alot of Statis-Pro when I got got older(early teens). That was pretty much my game up until Baseball Stars for NES was released. Once had a game vs my bro that he one-hit me with Charile Hough but still lost thanks to a Willie Wilson inside the park HR to leadoff the game.

Did some searching on Google for ASB and found some disc creation stuff.

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/modules.php...sdownload&sid=4

Check out Bonds' HR and BB zones for '01

bonds01.jpg

I played Strat-o-matic starting with 1962, and also APBA. I used my dad's mimeograph machine to create scoresheets. A kid has to really love baseball to play entire seasons in his head.

Before that, I had one of those magnetic games, magnetic ball in a metal stadium with a spring loaded bat. I remember playing as the 1950s Yankees and Dodgers. Man, that game is prehistoric.

Archived