Good, quality laptops

sfgiantsflgators

Well, it would probably be a wise investment for my new job to purchase a laptop - but I know jack squat about such things. So, I turn to you! :D

90% of the time, said laptop will be used for basic office tasks (Word, Photoshop, InDesign). But I'd also like it to be capable of handling tasks such as movies, basic games (I'm not looking for a monster Half-Life 2 system - just fun stuff to pass the downtime).

Somewhere around $1k is ideal - less is better, a tad more is doable. What are the best companies? Processors to look for? I appreciate any and all the help you can give :D

• 5 weeks later...

Look at deals from Dells (or their outlet for refurb, if you don't mind), they usually have 700-800 Laptop that can do what you need.

Core Duo or Core 2 Duo is what you should be aiming for and make sure you customize it with at least a decent video card like Radeon 1300/1400.

I got a refurb'd Dell for about 300 dollars off of Ebay nearly a year ago and it's been great. I haven't had any problems running games on it (Except NFL Head Coach, but the game sucks anyway), although they do need to be on the lowest settings. No problem with video, including live steams (I use it to wath MLB.tv games).

Specs: 1.4 GHZ, 500 MB Ram, 40 gig HD. Not amazing, but great for only 300 dollars. If I need power I just use my desktop.

I normally buy refurbed goods and haven't had any problem what-so-ever with them. But there deffinatly is a risk in it, and if I had the money I probably would buy new goods.

Gateway. They are climbing their way back towards the top of the computer market. I know some will disagree with me, but after the excellent customer service I got from them, I would go with them even if they were a bit higher. (Call and ask for a custom built one, they guide you through the process.)

Archived