Pitch Descriptions

TwentySeven

• 2 months later...

doesn't Halladay throw the palm? (i don't know if he throws it well)

as for the circle change up, the index finger is further off the center of the ball thus the pitch often registers at a lower speed than the regular change up. secondly, secondly, i feel that the way the middle, ring and pinky fingers curl during the release of the pitch causes the ball to have a slightly different top spin than that of a reg chaneup

I didn't put Roger Clemens as fastball for example because his fastball now hits maybe 95, 96, which is still good, but its not great. I left him out because age means his fastball isn't anywhere near the other "good" fastballs.

A "good" fastabll is not necessarily just a fast one. Mariano Rivera throws a dominant fastball at 94, Papelbon can hit 96 but its more his delivery and location that make his fastball dominant he blows it past people at 94, Jesus Colome can throw 98 doesn't stop him form posting 4 and5 something ERAs Clemens fastball is still among the best. Putting Kyle Farnsworth on ther over Clemens is a joke

• 9 months later...

Bill James and Rob Neyer's "Guide to Pitchers" is an excellent source for this kind of stuff. It has lots of useful nicknames, I'll see what I can find...

That book is freakin' incredible! I've got it too. :D I'd say it's my favorite book #2 behind my ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia 2005 and above the Baseball America Prospect Handbooks. I'd recommend those books for anyone who loves baseball. Cool stuff. I'd put Lincecum on the top 2-seamers. His is like 96 with tons of movement, but, unfortunately, almost no control. And btw, I didn't even know what a shuuto ball was! Great idea for a forum!

Archived