"Coach" Mode?

JBaechtold

On the one hand, you have MVP which is great visually but tends to overvalue the controller dexterity over the GM abilities. On the other hand, you have Mogul 2008 which is all about the GM moves but downright disgraceful with its graphics. They shouldn't have even bothered with that part. Anyway, there is definitely a missing market for those who want to value the GM part of the game but also want the MVP "fun" factor by watching the game. "Text" games like OOTP I think tend to get boring. What about MVP with a manager mode that allows you to watch the game while still calling the shots? Like Madden has coach mode. I think it would be neat to have the option in owner or dynasty mode to manage a game and have a dugout camera shot. Unfortunately, manager mode in MVP2005 is a waste of time. In this idea, you would still call the shots, but the players would pitch, hit, and field. Sometimes, when building a team I think I am picking players whom I can succeed with using my controller skills - rather than putting the best team together. I would imagine most of us have been there at some point.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I think that's a good idea, though for me personally, the GM part is more enjoyable than the coaching part. Imagine something like the winter meetings and you'd have to work out deals with the other GM's, or using scouts during the season to help you with the draft, an interest bar for players which would show how interested a team is in a certain player on your roster, player agents emailing you about contract extenstions ....

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now.

Excellent ideas. But, i dont' think it has to be an either/or type of question between GM and coach. Keep the GM portions and just add the coaching part. The visuals are already there, so it just a matter of getting MVP to basically play itself (select computer when choosing the controllers) but allow you too call the shots as a coach.

Expanding the GM portion is whole other topic - and a good one to perhaps bring up. Like having actual trading blocks like mogul 2008 or having multiple scout opinions like OOTP. Or, how about having player progression affected by how you "nutured" him through the minor leagues. Or, outside influences like whatever the hell has happened to Howard on the Phils. Did he have a Brady Anderson-like one year contract with Satan or something?

This may not be a manager mode of sorts but one thing you could do is start a game and give yourself control of one of the teams. And then, right before the first pitch is thrown, go to the "select controller" option and hand over the control to the CPU. Now, you have a chance to watch a CPU vs. CPU game and if you feel like making a move at a particular point, just take control of that team again.

Of course there is some downside to it. I don't think you will be able to stop the CPU from making its own substitutions. I can't remember if there is an option to that kind of feature off or not. Anyway, just a thought.

Actually the old High Heat 1998 - 2003 had exactly the manager mode you're talking about. You coached the game while seeing the game played out. You just hit space bar or Esc, (I forget which), to stop the action and make coaching decisions... steals, pinch hit, change pitchers, etc. I used to play it that way all the time.

I've been trying to figure out a "coach" mode ever since I first started playing the game. It's fun to play once in awhile but when it comes to dynasties, I'd rather just manage the game and let the players decide who's best, while still being able to watch the game and make all the moves that you can make in player mode...

Adeptness at player can be somewhat defeating, but I feel that being just a GM isn't fully realized without played the games. The reason is that I have to set up teams with guys who have specific roles, ex. a late inning pinch runner and defensive replacement, a platoon partner who mashes lefties, good utility guys, good pinch hitters. MVP makes it so that you can trot out your starters every game, completely devaluing the ability to set up a full team. Also, the favoring of inferior younger players by the AI roster management makes assembling a winning team that much easier.

Archived