Tiger Stadium Classic

paulw

I just found a bunch of wonderful old shots of Tiger Stadium and decided to do some more work on it. One thing I never knew was that they had a beautiful old Longine's Clock on top of the scoreboard - in earlier years they had a Gruen.

old_tiger.jpg

Anyhow, below is a pic. I'm updating a bunch of textures and will probably do more work on the scoreboard. According to what I've seen, this would have been from the 1950's to 1960's. Is there any stuff any of you classic guys would like to see in old Tiger. Please let me know if there is and I'll see what I can do. Tony, do you remember the clock up there??

tiger2.jpg

I cannot say that I do remember the clock - but, it does not mean it was not there as my first game that I watched there was 1969

I remember you had a 'Strohs' sign. Maybe it was for the High Heat

mod but that company was all areound the park and located just

down the street from it. It was a nice touch to the mod. I also

remember every now & then a ball clearing the roof. Saw Powell

do this against McLain. As well as many hitting the facing of the

upper deck and roof then bouncing ack on the field

FWIW, the bleachers were rarely filled. (especially the lower area)

except for total sellouts (54,000+)

Looking good Paul W!

I want to redo the whole scoreboard area to some degree - I'll get a Stroh's add in there. Maybe I'll pull some fans out of the lower deck also - not too hard to do. Here's a cool pic of Hank Greenberg facing Crazy Bobo Newsome in 1946 - the scoreboard at this time had the Gruen clock. I really dig this shot - what a cool ballpark Tiger was.

greenbobo.jpg

I need some feedback if anyone's interested. Let me know what you like best:

1. The image in my first post

2. The image in this post

3. Paul, stop schkrewing around and work on something worthwhile.

It's supposed to be a Tiger Stadium from the 1950's and 1960's based on pics I've seen. It'll definetely work as a 1940's ballpark also. I've modded the '40 Tigers for myself (Barney McCoskey is one of my new heroes to go with Luke Easter and Eddie Joost) - that's what got me going on this. My first version of Tiger was very quick and kind of lame.

tiger3.jpg

First post, definitely. I would love an "all of paulw" release, with the different versions of Fenway (speaking of which, do you have fenway 1934?), the "Have a Knick!" Polo Grounds, and different tiger stadium.

Bummer - I kind of like the second one - the signs are so "pretty". I must admit the first one has a much more dark, brooding and serious look. I need more votes :-) Tony, where are you?? I need the Tiger's expert opinion on this one. This is serious work - it's what I do to keep sane after a day at the office ;-) ;-)

SeanO - I forgot to ask. Have you knocked one off the right field facade in the Yankee stadium I sent you? Is that the coolest thing when it happens. I've done it about 10 times or so.

SeanO - I forgot to ask. Have you knocked one off the right field facade in the Yankee stadium I sent you? Is that the coolest thing when it happens. I've done it about 10 times or so.

You know, I keep forgetting to do it when it's MVP time. I've been playing a CAP dynasty with the '94 Indians, so I gravitate directly for that whenever I load up a game. I'll be sure to check on it tonight.

Now, did you manage to get it off the frieze, or off the front of the upper deck? Since we had to sink the entire stadium either would be incredible, but the facade would be particularly sweet.

Also, I know you're doing other stuff, but any idea if you can figure out a Duffy's Cliff in left at Fenway? That would be unbelievable.

Paul W., I think / feel the first looks more like the 'Older' Tiger

Stadium. Maybe if you remove the AC Delco sign and replace it with the

'Strohs' sign that could help as well

Actually, for what its worth I think they both look good!

You know, I keep forgetting to do it when it's MVP time. I've been playing a CAP dynasty with the '94 Indians, so I gravitate directly for that whenever I load up a game. I'll be sure to check on it tonight.

Now, did you manage to get it off the frieze, or off the front of the upper deck? Since we had to sink the entire stadium either would be incredible, but the facade would be particularly sweet.

Also, I know you're doing other stuff, but any idea if you can figure out a Duffy's Cliff in left at Fenway? That would be unbelievable.

I actually have hit about 10 of them off the frieze - where Mickey Mantle hit his titanic shot. I set it at Rookie and bump power and contact to +50. The reason I added the collision stuff was that playing in actual games (I play at pro all sliders set at zero) I have hit about 5 or so that would have bounced off. That's what got me motivated enough to take on coll.dat. I was so freaking excited when I hit it the frieze the first time and it bounced and landed back on the field.

The version I sent to you has this feature - plus some other updates. I want to add some more collision stuff to Yankee - specifically balls bouncing in the empty centerfield section - and then re-release it. I think I also want to work on wall.dat to make the canvas in center in play.

Thanks for voting everyone! It's number 1 - although I'm keeping the second one for myself. I changed the grass texture a bit and it's looking even better. I'll release Tiger sometime this weekend - the new Yankee in a couple of weeks.

You know Paul, I am quite sure that people would not mind having both versions of Tiger Stadium that you are working on. I know I wouldn't mind it one bit. I'd alternate and play in each one to determine which one I'd keep in the game.

Or, even better, since I got two installs of the game, use one of the updated versions in TC7 and the other in Mvp 07.

You know Paul, I am quite sure that people would not mind having both versions of Tiger Stadium that you are working on. I know I wouldn't mind it one bit. I'd alternate and play in each one to determine which one I'd keep in the game.

Or, even better, since I got two installs of the game, use one of the updated versions in TC7 and the other in Mvp 07.

I'm gonna make a new post about this Y4L, thanks.

Hey paul-

Looks amazing, easily the best version yet. Two things I would love to see if you're in the mood for a few touchups, since I am still far too burned out from the 4 park explosion.

1). In the mfields, the right field corner warning track should be re-adjusted. It disappears beneath the stands right near the line, looks a little funky.

2). I know the last thing you want to do is mess around with the background, but I would love to see the courthouse in 3d. And the apartment buildings in front would be excellent as well. But, that could just be me.

Really amazing job. You removed all the rough spots and made them look perfect, like the mega-huge posts in the corners of the stands, the texture on the right field corner walls, and especially the canvas in dead center. I love it.

Thanks, Sean. *Our* Yankee is still improving. You've got to hit one off the frieze sometime. It's a freaking rush!

Brewers getting killed tonight (and in High Def too:-() so I just turned on my PC.

Honestly, my favorite part in the entire stadium? (apart from the right field corner reconstruction; love that) The giant supporting posts. They add that necessary feeling that it's a classic park, and add such a weight to the park. Having those in the stadium finally makes it complete, and I'm sure barely anyone will even notice it.

Essentially, if you've seen the old park a number of times, it's those posts that jump out at you. The thing looks amazing.

Well, I've pretty much finished up on Tiger. I did a lot of research on this and everything is accurate except for two of the signs. This is how Tiger looked in the 1950's and 1960's. The Life Magazine and AC Delco signs are taken from a picture in 1968 (which also has the clock on the top clearly visible). I'm going to play a test game - just to see lots of different camera angles and then release it. Here's the latest:

tigr4.jpg

For me anyhow, it's giving a nice, classic feel.

I've nailed a few off the front of the upper deck, but nothing off the copper yet. I'll probably load up '67 with the Sox (Yaz will have to plug one up there) or try to find the most ridiculously lefty-heavy lineup in '67.

Folks, the new version of Classic Yankee is pretty sweet. The right field corner, oh the right field corner. When I jump into the stock Yankee Stadium, I cannot believe everything that's been changed.

A good representation of Classic Tiger Stadium Paul!

Thanks Tony. I put a little special extra effort into this one for you. I know you go back a long way with the Tigers. Hope you enjoy it and if there's anything else I can do just let me know.

Do you know anyone in the Detroit area who might have a picture of the scoreboard from the '50's or 60's? Just ask around a little. Interior Tiger shots are really hard to find. I found exactly two and I looked *a lot* of places.

Can't wait for 1964 and to hit one off the frieze with the Mick. The Mick is also looking forward to clearing your new Tiger. Thanks.

Here's a very brief animation (I just did this about an hour ago) of a Red Rolfe shot hitting the facing of the upper deck. It took only about 3 tries with Dickey, Rolfe, Selkirck, and Keller stacked at the top of the '39 Yankee lineup. Granted, I had it at rookie (Power +50, Contact +50) but have done this in real games playing at ALL STAR with all the sliders at 0 about 5 or 6 times. It hits in frame 4.

test.gif

It also sure is fun blasting them onto the roof and off that little mezanine level on top of the roof in old Tiger.

I've got some work I want to do yet on Yankee - it should be released in about a week or so.

Yup, and it truly is magnificent. It's funny how little a change such as collision detection can add so much to the park.

Paul, good luck on those changes, since they sound pretty hardcore. Also, I should mention that crowd.ord/orl is empty now, having been switched to alphablend. That's where you'll find everyone.

Archived