• Harry Hooper - Red Sox
    • Reggie Jackson - A's/Orioles/Yankees/Angels
    • Al Kaline - Tigers
    • Charlie Keller - Yankees
    • Roger Maris - Yankees
    • Tony Oliva - Twins
    • Babe Ruth - Red Sox/Yankees/Braves
    • Dave Winfield - Padres/Yankees

see, again ted williams would be my guy here so rickey could be the leadoff guy. ruth is gonna dh for all i'm concerned. so far all these polls are voting on guys that lack the speed. still need a guy in each roster that can run and leadoff.

see, again ted williams would be my guy here so rickey could be the leadoff guy. ruth is gonna dh for all i'm concerned. so far all these polls are voting on guys that lack the speed. still need a guy in each roster that can run and leadoff.

If people vote appropriate then Ty Cobb will bat leadoff playing in ceterfield. Given that he's arguably the 2nd best hitter of all time and one of the best baserunners of all time I'd say the leadoff position is taken care of. Then again, most people voting on here have no knowledge of pre-war players (other than Yankees) so I expect the All-Timers All-Star list to be a joke in the end.

If people vote appropriate then Ty Cobb will bat leadoff playing in ceterfield. Given that he's arguably the 2nd best hitter of all time and one of the best baserunners of all time I'd say the leadoff position is taken care of. Then again, most people voting on here have no knowledge of pre-war players (other than Yankees) so I expect the All-Timers All-Star list to be a joke in the end.

i'm not disagreeing, but let's be realistic. i think we know who's probably going to tally up the votes. i don't think the general fan here thinks that far back.

Edit: i meant to say, i think we all know is probably going to win by popular vote for CF. at least that's what i anticipate voters to do.

but in doing either choice we are also leaving out the all time stolen base king. we tend to focus a little too much on power and hitting in these rosters, and ignore putting together a balanced team. i mean it's the stolen base record. it's one of the few offensive records that are gonna pretty much be untouchable unless they make changes to the game in the future.

but let's try to be a little fair. you may consider it a joke in the end, but let's not take this too seriously, as it is just a game and this project is merely trying to satisfy the majority at the very least. no matter how it ends up, someone's gonna say it's not realistic, or this or that. the rosters can never be perfect to fit everyone's satisfaction. but this is why we have mvpedit. these polls will do their best to tally up the lineup, and the individual user is always free to make whatever adjustments to them they feel fit.

I guess the question is, are SBs that important? in the end, as good as Rickey was, you would need a ridonkulous number of SBs to bridge the difference between he and Williams. Balance is one thing, but I think most of the best players ever had a decent amount of speed, OBP, average, defense and power. Williams' biggest shortfalls were defense and speed, but for hitting he is nearly unmatched. Cobb had it all, as did Mantle. Ruth had it all. Schmidt wasn't fast but had everything else. Ripken or Boudreau can do anything, so on, so forth.

I'd say speed is a big #5 when it comes to the 5 tools, and it's not like this outfield is going to be solely the dreaded Old Players' Skills.

Good discussion.

yeah probably. but i'm still anticipating mantle to bump cobb in all of this, i'm just pushing for ted to move to right and move the babe to dh so that someone can make up somewhat of the loss for cobb. but that's just me jumping the gun. all in all, i still prefer some more speed in these votes. whether its rickey in left or alomar at second. but whatever, it'll be interesting to see where this all goes.

and i still consider rickey one of those 5 tool players. he was above average in all of those (don't quote me on that :) ) it's just steals were his thing. just like power for ruth...and so forth.

Rickey had some power years, including a .577 SLG in 91, but his career line of .279 .401 .419 shows far more OBP and speed than power. I'd give him 4 tools, but an .820 OPS vs. .344 .482 .634 is just way too much to give up. and I think it's important to have Ruth and Williams in their original locations.

Honestly, Mantle stole 500 SBs, why not have him leadoff?

Honestly, Mantle stole 500 SBs, why not have him leadoff?

This is why Eddie Collins should be the 2nd baseman.

Look at the AL Lineup so far after the voting:

C Berra

1B Gehrig

2b Carew (Should have been Collins or Lajoie)

SS Ripken (or Arod)

3B Brett

OF Williams

OF Mantle (should be Cobb!)

OF Ruth

Besides Mantle where's the SB's? The lineup would be much better with Cobb in CF and Collins at 2B. You'd still have plenty of power with Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams. Ripken (over 25 HR's eight times) is no slouch either. If Arod is at SS you have 4 excellent power hitters and have plenty of speed as well - Cobb & Collins.

SP Walter Johnson

SP Lefty Grove

SP Roger Clemens

SP Cy Young

SP Bob Feller

MP Rube Waddell

RP Hoyt Wilhelm

RP Mariano Rivera

C Yogi Berra

C Mickey Cochrane

1B Lou Gehrig

1B Jimmie Foxx

2B Nap Lajoie

2B Eddie Collins

3B George Brett

3B Brooks Robinson

SS Alex Rodriguez

LF Ted Williams

LF Joe Jackson

CF Ty Cobb

CF Tris Speaker

CF Joe DiMaggio

CF Mickey Mantle

RF Babe Ruth

RF Rickey Henderson

That's the All-Time AL that I made in my game.

I voted for Babe Ruth in this poll.

[edit] How long has this project been going on for? I just noticed this.

Well this is for what is tenatively called "Total Classics All-Timers" where we are making up the best all-franchise teams that we can combining the stars of yesterday with the stars of today.

These polls are to figure out who to put on the AL and NL All-Star teams for that project. Whoever wins, that's who starts. Whoever comes in second will probably have a spot on the roster unless there is a compelling arguement for more than one player at one position.

Archived