NCAA Football 2008

Mav3rek

The Heisman Mode is a crock of crap...I hate it...It's just like the Superstar Mode on Madden with a different camera angle
If you played this years, you have to admit it is much more better than last years version.

Fellow MVPers,

I actually am an NCAA fanatic. I have owned and played every single EA NCAA game since Bill Walsh College Football on Sega Genesis (that came out in June 1993, BTW)...

Anyways I picked up this years version for Xbox 360 from a guy who was able to secure an advance copy of the game, so I had it on July 12th--5 days before it went on sale to the public.

To say the least, EA really made a great attempt at fixing a lot of the problems NCAA 07 suffered from, while in certain areas (presentation mostly) NCAA 08 is still the same old game.

Gameplay wise, it is outstanding. The running game is probably the single biggest improvement as finally, O-lineman get to their blocks, sweeps and traps are finally effective and the fluidity of the animations is astounding.

There are some glaring issues however--most notably, turnovers happen far too frequently and the CPU pass rush is nearly unstoppable while it is darn near impossible to get any sort of pass rush on the CPU offense. However, many talented gamers are manipulating the sliders and player ratings to fix these issues.

The presentation in NCAA 08 leaves a lot to be desired. The ESPN integration is hardly noticeable and pre-game and post-game cinematics are exactly the same as last year. Bowl games and miracle finishes feel like just another occurrence--something that definitely needs to be addressed.

I definitely recommend picking up this game if you have the cash lying around. But read some other reviews and if possible rent it first to see if it is your cup of tea.

For lots more information about the subtleties, nuances and deep immersive aspects of the game visit the forums at operationsports.com.

Happy sports gaming...

Archived