MVP Baseball 2005 ratings system

Cubs-Blew-It-Again

How many of you would like to see EA eliminate the rating system they use for MVP Baseball 2005?

And how many of you would be in favor of a system where you can enter player stats and by the end of the season the player's are within a close range to those stats? That way when people are making custom mods they don't need to mess around with all those ratings formula and trying to figure out how many homeruns an 82 in the power column will yield.

This way when Greg Maddux is pitching and you enter 2.93 (which happens to be about his career era) by the end of the season his era is near that, whereas right now if I didn't edit his ratings he would yield a ridiculously high era.

Since nobody wants to comment on my post I'll just start blabbering on about something. Let's see what should I talk about. I'm to upset to talk about baseball, given the Cubs failure to reach the postseason despite still having a chance to win 90 games.

I know I'll talk about the correlation effect of the systematic analysis theory..... Unless somebody else has something to say?

• 1 month later...

The biggest problem is that EA includes a player's "star rating" into their overall rating. That really screws with the CPU's management. Also, a reliever's stamina plays way too big a role in the overall rating. I don't care if a reliever can throw 7 innings, if his stuff stinks he shouldn't be above a reliever with great stuff.

I'm in complete agreement on the need for a reworked rating system. There's two major flaws:

Contact is based on both hitting for average and strikeout ratios. What about a guy who hit's .350 but strikes out 125 times? He'll have a totally different average than someone who hits .350 and strikes out only 50 times.

The BIG one-

Pitcher control basically correlates with ERA in the EA ratings system. The better the ERA, the better the control. What about the guy with the low ERA who walks a lot of batters. The Bob Feller, Nolan Ryan, Kerry Wood type?

Thanks for you interesting post!

I think there really would need to be a combination of ratings set via statistics and ratings based on ability. This is due to things like throwing arm which can't be based soley on assists due to some outfielders with tremendous throwing arms are seldom challenged because of that ability thus they have very few assists to their credit. Other things like fielding percentage. Many players superior range allows them to get to more balls when sometimes it ends up in an error where other players would never even get to the ball and they aren't charged with an error. So, I think things like range, throwing arm strength, throwing accuracy are things that really can't realistically be based on stats alone. Now, things like E.R.A, strikeout percantage (both pitchers and hitters), batting average, home run power, slugging percentage and the like can easily be assigned soley from statistics. But even with those there is the problem with players that have had very limited playing time and those stats get all out of whack unless the durability rating is fully effective.

When you consider a players Clutch Ability (i.e. Star Power) then I think that too is difficult to accurately guage from the traditional type stats available alone. Not many references have players stats for what he does with 2 outs and runners in scoring position even tho those are frequently announced on TV they are very difficult stats to find.

Another thought would be pick offs for a pitcher. Pitchers with great moves probably have fewer pick offs because base runners are aware of their ability. That would also heavily apply to a catcher with a known gun for an arm. I think few people would ever try to steal on him thus his rating would probably not accurately reflect that ability.

Great subject for conversation and I am certain there are many valid and different veiw points. I firmly believe it would be better to input stats and have ratings generated from those but then there would still be some tweaking that people with good baseball knowledge about certain players would want to have the ability to perform.

When you consider a players Clutch Ability (i.e. Star Power) then I think that too is difficult to accurately guage from the traditional type stats available alone. Not many references have players stats for what he does with 2 outs and runners in scoring position even tho those are frequently announced on TV they are very difficult stats to find.

ESPN has a pretty good selection of 3-year splits for batters. Count, men on particular bases, etc. (I'm too tired to comment on the rest of your post, but it looks good)

Manny Ramirez

Another item of interest that I believe would be very difficult to base off of stats would be the hitting zones. I've never seen those published any place.

Then there is also his % of hits to particular fields. Maybe that stat is available somewhere but I have never seen it. Players are fairly well known as either dead pull hitters, opposite field hitters, spray hitters etc and I think that is how those ratings are given.

In MVP 2004 I think a batters strikeout frequency is a combination of his Contact Rating and his Plate Discipline Rating. Plate Discipline combined with Star Power and Speed would be used to determine how often he perhaps hits into double plays as well. But that should be an easily available stat but I don't know of any game that has that type of rating.

I am very interested in others opinions on this subject. In particular how they think MVP 2004 derives certain abilities. I do a bit of roster building for old time teams and am always interested in hearing different concepts. I am also fairly familiar with the formulas built into the MVPEdit program by Robert Glass and more ideas from others might benefit future projects of Robert's (Whom I sincerely hope continues his marvelous work into MVP 2005). Basically if Glass doesn't move on to MVP 2005 with his MVPEdit program likely neither will I.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I like about their ratings is how they seem to derive power. A very misleading statistic in baseball is slugging pct. There is a stat called isolated power (ISO) which is a much better indicator of a batters power ability. ISO is calculated simply by taking Slugging Percentage and Subtracting Batting Average from it. A value of .100 is below average to mediocore power, a value of .200 is good power, a value of .300 or more is outstanding. From a small analysis I ran, I think EA used ISO for calculating power ratings while contact was derived from a combination of batting average AND strikeout percentage.

Barry Bonds had an "otherworldly" ISO of .456 this year. Here's a few others: Pujols .326, Beltre .295, Ortiz .302, Sosa .264, Ichiro .083, Arod .226. 8O

Archived