Cleveland Indians -- It's Tribe Time Now!

SpaceFlare

Lester struggles as Indians win

Boxscore: CLE 4 - BOS 3

Indians manager Eric Wedge wasn't happy with his team's offense tonight. His exact words: "We should've scored 15 runs the way the game was going..."

Red Sox starter Jon Lester struggled with his command tonight, as he walked six batters. He also gave up 7 hits. He managed to get away with that and he pitched 7 innings, giving up only 2 runs. While this was far from desirable, you can actually count this as one of his "quality starts."

Cliff Lee didn't exactly have smooth sailing in this game as he gave up six hits and 2 runs through 5.1 innings. He did walk only 1 batter, and he struck out 5 batters as well. Jeremy Sowers pitched in relief of Lee and picked up the win after tossing 2.2 scoreless innings.

Hideki Okajima, once again, lost to the Indians as they nabbed two runs off of him. Orlando Hudson drove in the run that put the Indians up in the lead for good in the eighth inning. Shin-Soo Choo would put a much-needed insurance run in the top of the ninth inning as he hit a home run that finally drove Okajima out of the game.

It turns out that the Indians would need that insurance run. Jason Bay took Jensen Lewis deep on a circle change thrown down and away to keep the hopes of a Red Sox rally alive.

Jensen Lewis picked up his 4th save of the season despite not really pitching as well as anyone would want a closer to do so. Lewis gave up 2 hits, a single and a homer, in the ninth inning.

Player of the Game:

Grady Sizemore: 2/5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 HR

Next Game:

Cleveland Indians (15-7)

(Anthony Reyes)

vs

Boston Red Sox (13-10)

(Daisuke Matsuzaka)

CLE22.htm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indians extend winning streak to 5

Boxscore: CLE 2 - BOS 0

It was a little ugly, but Anthony Reyes finally got his first win of the season. He pitched 6.0 shutout innings, despite giving up eight hits. He walked one and struck out only two batters.

"I couldn't locate my breaking ball so I had to rely on letting them put the ball in play; I had a little bit of luck on my side this time around," Reyes commented.

The Red Sox hit into three double plays in the game, two of which were induced by the diving circle change thrown by Anthony Reyes.

Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka pitched 7.0 innings, allowing 2 runs on six hits. He gave up 5 bases-on-balls and only struck out 2 batters. He did only throw 103 pitches through all those innings.

The Indians got on the scoreboard thanks to an RBI single by Jhonny Peralta which drove in Grady Sizemore. Ben Francisco would score the other run on the night, driving a solo shot deep into the seats in the Green Monster to put the Indians up by two.

Jensen Lewis pitched a save for the second consecutive night. Throwing only 9 pitches, striking out 1 batter and allowing 1 hit.

Player of the Game:

Grady Sizemore: 2/5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 SB

Pictures of the Game:

cle231ll5.th.png

Eric Wedge argues that his infielders successfully turned the double play and that Jason Bay should be out.

cle232or8.th.png

Shortly after his manager's tirade, Anthony Reyes picks off Jason Bay at 1st base.

cle233wy0.th.png

Ben Francisco shows some power as he nearly hit one out of Fenway Park.

cle234eb2.th.png

Jason Bay dives to stop what would've been an RBI single by Shin-Soo Choo.

Next Game:

Cleveland Indians (16-7)

(Scott Lewis)

vs

Boston Red Sox (13-11)

(Oliver Perez)

CLE23.htm

Thanks for following guys!

Oh and my sliders.. Everything not listed is 0.

Difficulty: Pro

Fielding: Automatic

Strike Zone: Off

Hot/Cold Zones: Fade

Pitch Cursor: On

Hitter's Eye: Off

User Pitch Meter Difficulty: 18

Pitch Speed: 15

CPU Pitcher Ball Rate: 22

User Pitcher Fatigue: 5

CPU Pitcher Fatigue: 15

User Pitch Control: -50

CPU Pitch Control -35

Bullpen Fatigue Grace: 10

User Batting Contact: -10

CPU Batting Contact: -10

User Bunting Ability: 5

CPU Bunting Ability: 5

User Foul Ball Frequency: 50

CPU Foul Ball Frequency: 50

CPU Swing Frequency: -30

CPU Catch Effort: -15

Going to post two games in a little while

Big Papi's slam propels Red Sox to win

Boxscore: CLE 3 - BOS 5

Down by two runs in the sixth inning, it looked like the Indians were about to sweep the Red Sox and send a message to the rest of the league that they plan to contend.

But Big Papi had other plans, with the bases loaded and just 1 out, Big Papi smacked a curveball down and away deep to left-center field to bring the Red Sox score up to 5 in a hurry.

Red Sox starter Oliver Perez picked up the win as he hurled 6.0 innings, allowing 4 hits and giving up 3 runs on 3 solo homers. Shin-Soo Choo hit two off of Perez.

"Those weren't cheap homers," Perez commented, "I didn't expect them to hit those out of the yard."

Jonathan Papelbon also earned his eighth save of the year, and third against the Cleveland Indians.

Player of the Game:

David Ortiz: 1/4, 1 R, 1 GS HR, 4 RBI

Pictures of the Game:

cle241im6.th.png

Ryan Garko sends one over the Green Monster.

cle242xw3.th.png

David Ortiz rounds the bases on his grand slam home run in the sixth inning.

Next Game:

Cleveland Indians (16-8)

(Aaron Laffey)

vs

New York Yankees(13-11)

(Mike Mussina)

CLE24.htm

Grady Sizemore to serve 3-game suspension during series against Yankees

Grady Sizemore is set to drop the appeal of his 3-game suspension and is looking to serve the suspension in the upcoming series against the Yankees.

Reliever Jon Meloan is set to come back from his 5-game suspension and is looking to solidify his shaky role in the bullpen. He pitched a scoreless inning of relief prior to his suspension, which might give the Indians upper management some pause before sending him down to the minors.

Lewis blows save but Tribe pulls off win

Boxscore: CLE 5- NYY 3

Jensen Lewis seemed to have control problems again tonight, as he led off the ninth inning with a walk to Mike Cameron. And Derek Lee made him pay for the walk. Lee hit a blast to right field to knot the game up at 3 runs apiece. With no one else ready to come into the game, Eric Wedge decided to let Lewis get through the inning.

"I don't know what happened; I threw a circle change down and away but Lee hit it out," Lewis said when interviewed, "I don't know if I'm on a short leash now because of my performances recently. If Eric (Wedge) decides I'm not the closer, then so be it. If he feels somebody else deserves the ninth inning then I have no objections."

Aaron Laffey had another strong start. He pitched 7.0 innings, giving up only one run, an Alex Rodriguez homer, on two hits. He fanned 3 batters and walked 1. Jeremy Sowers would pick up the win as he pitched 2.0 innings of relief, allowing 1 hit and fanning two batters. Rafael Perez picked up the save as he fanned two batters in the 12th inning to put away the Yankees.

Mike Mussina was not at his best in this game, but he managed to last 6.0 innings despite giving up 3 runs on 3 hits, 2 of which were home runs. He walked 3 batters and did not strike out any. Mariano Rivera picked up the loss as the Indians got to him in the top of the 12th, scoring two runs off of the Yankees closer. Rivera pitched 2.2 innings, striking out only one batter, allowing 2 runs on 5 hits.

Player of the Game:

Jeremy Sowers: 2.0 IP, W, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Pictures of the Game:

cle251nl3.th.png

Victor Martinez belts one deep to the upper deck in right field.

cle252tx6.th.png

A-Rod strikes out on a pitch down and away delivered by Aaron Laffey.

cle253wp5.th.png

Mike Mussina shows why he has won Gold Glove Awards by snatching a hard line drive that would have shattered his face out of the air and recording an out.

cle254vu3.th.png

Rafael Perez celebrates after he picks up the save. Will he be receiving more save chances in the near future?

Next Game:

Cleveland Indians (17-8)

(Fausto Carmona)

vs

New York Yankees (13-12)

(Joba Chamberlain)

CLE25.htm

Derrek Lee homers in clutch once again; Indians lose to Yankees

Boxscore: CLE 4 - NYY 5

And the Indians bullpen has blown another game. With a 4-1 lead in the eighth inning, manager Eric Wedge opted to send out Rafael Betancourt, and once again, Betancourt was wild. Getting only one out and allowing a hit and walking a batter. Not wanting to risk further damage, lefty reliever Rafael Perez, who recorded last night's save without a hitch, loaded up the bases with a walk to Derek Jeter.

Still unable to control his pitches, Perez eventually hung a slider at the heart of the plate and Lee endeared himself to Yankee fans by providing another clutch hit for the Yankees. Unlike yesterday though, Lee's home run, which was a grand slam, gave the Yankees a win.

Fausto Carmona had a strong night. He pitched 7.0 innings and only gave up 1 run on 5 hits. He only struck out 3 batters and he walked 1. Carmona was in line for the win before Perez gave up the grand slam to Lee.

Joba Chamberlain showed his strikeout stuff as he fanned 7 batters through 7 innings, but he did give up 4 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks. Will Ohman picked up the win as he pitched a scoreless inning of relief in the top of the eighth.

Mariano Rivera nailed the save tonight, despite throwing 2.2 innings the previous night, and he did it almost flawlessly. After getting the first 2 outs, Cabrera hushed the ruckus New York crowd by blasting a double to left-center field. Rivera didn't appear shaken as he struck out Franklin Gutierrez in the next at-bat in 3 pitches.

Player of the Game

Derrek Lee: 2/4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 GS, 4 RBI

Pictures of the Game:

cle261tk9.th.png

Ben Francisco touches home plate and Orlando Hudson heads for the dugout as they score on Ryan Garko's double in the first inning.

cle262ox9.th.png

Ben Francisco showcases gold glove defense as he robs a home run from A-Rod.

cle263et8.th.png

Shin-Soo Choo touches home plate after hitting a solo home run in the sixth inning.

cle264zc1.th.png

Franklin Gutierrez swings and misses for the third straight time and strikes out to end the game.

Next Game:

Cleveland Indians (17-9)

(Cliff Lee)

vs

New York Yankees (14-12)

(Alfredo Aceves)

CLE26.htm

Lee remains unbeaten; Aceves underwhelms for Yankees once more

Boxscore: CLE 4 - NYY 1

Both pitchers looked shaky at the start of the game. One pitcher gave up 2 runs in the 1st inning; the other gave up a run and could've been a couple more had his defense not bailed him out on some spectacular plays. The former is Alfredo Aceves, who was unspectacular all game, but managed to last six innings.

Through six innings, the Indians offense tabbed 7 hits off of him, scoring 4 runs, one unearned. He walked 2 batters and struck out nary a batter. Aceves, who may soon be demoted to AAA, picked up just his 2nd loss on the season despite underwhelming all year.

Things were ugly in the first inning, as the inning could have ended with the Indians just scoring one run. With Shin-Soo Choo at first base, Jhonny Peralta hit a grounder right at shortstop Derek Jeter. Jeter fielded the ball, did his fancy flip to 2nd base. But Cano, who later said that he thought there were 2 outs already, was nowhere near the throw, thus keeping the inning alive.

Cliff Lee continued to show why he won the Cy Young Award last year by tossing another gem. He looked hittable in the 1st inning, as all the batters he faced hit hard. Fortunately for Lee and the Indians, the Yankee batters mostly hit them right at the defense. Derek Jeter did manage to score on a single by Alex Rodriguez.

Lee then settled down and ended up with a nice line through seven innings. He tallied 5 strikeouts, gave up only 1 run, walked 2 batters and allowed 5 hits. He may not be as dominating at this point in the season as he was last year, but performances like this are good enough to win.

Mike Cameron was discovered to have suffered a fractured hand during yesterday's game. Melky Cabrera started in his place in center field and batted ninth. Derek Jeter was moved to lead-off and Robinson Cano was moved to the 2nd spot in the lineup. Interestingly, Cano went 3 for 4 in his first game near the top of the lineup.

Yankee fans were given an injury scare as Jorge Posada complained of a sore knee after hitting two straight pitches off of his left knee. He left the game and Jose Molina was brought in place of Posada. When asked if he was going to miss any time he said, "It just felt sore so I wanted to get it checked. They opted to take me out in case it was serious. The pain's gone now so I'm fine."

Player of the Game:

Ryan Garko: 2/2, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SF

Next Game:

Toronto Blue Jays (18-11)

(Bryan Bullington)

vs

Cleveland Indians (18-9)

(Anthony Reyes)

------------------------------------------------

No pics again as I forgot to turn on Fraps as I played. <_< I might post that Blue Jays game a little later if I have the time. I've already played it.

CLE27.htm

Indians end Blue Jays winning streak at six games

Boxscore: TOR 2 - CLE 3

The Indians offense once again struck early, as they scored 2 runs in the first inning for the 2nd straight game. Bryan Bullington pitched a quality start but still picked up the loss as Anthony Reyes held the Blue Jays to just 1 run in 7 innings.

Bullington, who played with the Indians last season, threw six innings. Allowing 3 runs on 7 hits, walking none and striking out three batters. Bullington, who never really lived up to his billing as a first overall pick in the 2002 draft, was given a Spring Training invite by the Jays. He took advantage of the situation and managed to land a spot in the starting rotation.

The only offense of the Blue Jays came from solo homers. Jason Giambi knocked in his 7th home run of the year in the 2nd inning against Anthony Reyes. Alex Rios would hit one off of closer Jensen Lewis in the ninth inning.

Indians catcher Victor Martinez, who had been cold all season long, may finally be showing signs of life. He went 2 for 4 with an RBI single.

Anthony Reyes had trouble with his command, giving up 3 walks. But he kept the Blue Jays from hurting him, as he held them to a single run on 4 hits. He also struck out 5 batters.

Jensen Lewis picked up his 7th save of the season, however, he had Indians fan in discomfort as he gave up a home run to the first batter in the ninth inning. Lewis proceeded to strike out the next two batters to regain dominance and then induced a pop fly from the bat of Travis Snider to end the game.

Player of the Game:

Shin-Soo Choo: 2/4, 1 R, 1 RBI

Pictures of the Game:

cle281ek4.th.png

Jason Giambi trots to home plate after his solo blast in the 2nd inning.

cle282yx1.th.png

Asdrubal Cabrera beats out a bunt for an infield single.

cle283um1.th.png

Shin-Soo Choo's throw beats Vernon Wells' attempt to turn a single into a double.

cle284ok3.th.png

Jason Giambi and Alex Rios look on from the dugout in the game's final moments.

Next Game:

Toronto Blue Jays (18-12)

(Roy Halladay)

vs

Cleveland Indians (19-9)

(Scott Lewis)

CLE28.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Choo and Sizemore hit a pair of bombs to beat Halladay and the Jays

Score: TOR 1 - CLE 6

The Indians are unstoppable. Despite being against the Blue Jays terrific ace Roy Halladay, the Indians struck early, as Sizemore knocked one 438 feet out to set the tone of the ballgame.

"I wasn't really expecting him to hang a pitch, I was predicting he'd throw inside with a 2-1 count and try to attack me. He's an ace and I know he'll have the guts to attack me inside with a 2-1 count. He ended up throwing a hanging curveball up and in, I just pulled it out," Sizemore commented.

Roy Halladay seemed to settle down after giving up that homer as he got the next five batters out, three of which struck out. Victor Martinez and Ben Francisco hit a couple of singles to threaten more runs against the Jays ace, but Asdrubal Cabrera grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning.

The damage would come in the third inning when Shin-Soo Choo clubbed a home run to left-center field after Halladay walked both Sizemore and Orlando Hudson.

Roy Halladay seemed to be a different man on the mound in this start. After just 7 walks so far in 50.1 IP, he walked 5 in this game alone. Halladay was chased out after 5.1 innings. He was tabbed for six runs on 9 hits, he fanned five batters.

Scott Lewis, on the other hand, seemed to regain his sharpness. He appeared to be unaffected by giving up that grand slam in his last start, as he pitched to the tune of 7.0 innings, struck out 6 batters, walked none, gave up 1 earned run on six hits. The single run tabbed off of Lewis came from a Marco Scutaro homer.

Masahide Kobayashi pitched the last two innings in mop-up relief. He gave up 2 hits in 2.0 innings, but was otherwise solid, as he needed only 17 pitches to get through the inning. He may be in line for more appearances after his solid performance today.

Player of the Game:

Grady Sizemore: 1/4, 3 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 SB

Pictures of the Game:

cle291ir9.th.png

Grady Sizemore follows through on his monster home run in the 1st inning.

cle292fu2.th.png

Scott Lewis shows off athleticism as he snags a line drive by Aaron Hill.

cle293ur6.th.png

Shin-Soo Choo watches his shot fly to left-center field for a homer.

Next Game:

Toronto Blue Jays (18-13)

(Andy Pettitte)

vs

Cleveland Indians (20-9)

(Aaron Laffey)

CLE29.htm

• 1 month later...

This dynasty has come to an untimely end. I haven't posted here in a month because my computer was undergoing repairs and in the process, had to be reformatted. Not all the files could be recovered from my previous hard disk (even though I asked them to try back-up the game files for MVP Baseball), so I no longer have the game save files.

I was enjoying this dynasty and I wish this unfortunate incident never occured. :(

Archived