Need Help With Hardware From Gurus

vas100

Hello guys,

Can you please help me with the following:

At home I have Core2Duo 6700 (2.66 GHZ) 2GB RAM, Radeon x1950 512 MB video card.

At work I have Dual Core 2.50 GHZ, 3.25 GB RAM, GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB video card.

All video card drivers are up to date.

At work MLB 2k9 works great with no problems at all.

At home I get such video failures (see screens below), sometimes the game freezes at all (i need to reboot comp then as nothing works), besides videocard fan is very noisy at home.

Changed video sliders in the game - does not help at all.

Can you please help me and explain - what is the issue in my case? As i want to solve it at home but I need to understand where to go.

Thanks in advance.

2hziybc.png

of95jr.png

Looks like the the video card is overheating. And from the sounds of your fan, the little hampster is working overtime in there trying to keep things cool.

I'd definitely agree with that assessment. From the spiking artefacts, it almost looks like the results one gets when the memory on the graphics card is overclocked too high, and random spikes start to appear, but if those are permanent, I'd start to worry that either the memory is being forced to run at a higher speed than normal, or it could just be that the card is getting far too hot and causing memory corruption. The reason it's freezing is probably due to the heat as well - core gets too hot or hits a limit, has a ****-fit, then freezes GPU activity, causing the system to hang. I'd recommend not running the game on it again until you either have sufficient cooling on it, or a graphics card that can handle the game, because that puppy may very well start smoking if it's pushed to the limit consistently.

Did you install the graphics card yourself, or did it come as part of a pre-build?

Did you install the graphics card yourself, or did it come as part of a pre-build?

It was built according to my request 2 years ago. But I added one more hard drive there by myself.

Maybe I need to check what's going on inside?

And how to make it cooler?

Thanks!

Yep, definitely. I'd take a look at the GPU fan and heatsink, make sure it's spinning evenly and clear out any dust or debris from inside it. Get a can of compressed air if you can and use that to clean it out. Also, if your driver has any software to get the temperature of the card, check that out.

thanks for the tips guys.

I've tested with HWMonitor.

Core 1 and 2 temp. is always he same 83-85 C.

Videocard temp jumps from 70-73 C in usual "surfing" mode to 88-90 C when I launch and start playing MLB 2k9.

So this is video card cooling, right? I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning.

Thanks again - really appreciate your help :)

Thats awful hot for a tower bud.

If i were you id stop running anything too CPU heavy until you get that issue sorted. Your very close to the range where you could cause permanent damage and at the very least your reducing the lifespan of your hardware.

If you could look for your fan RPMs and even open your case make sure your fans are spinning.

I opened, cleaned everything today.

Besides one of the 3 inside fans was not working. I checked it - now it works.

I also took off the 1394 controller that was right next to the PCI-E of the video card.

As a result now I have 55C Cores temp (30 degrees lower than yesterday), 53-75 C GPU temp depending on whether the game is played or not (20 degrees lower than yesterday).

But I launched MLB2k9 now - i have the same video artefacts as in the first post...

Better to reinstall it? Or what might cause it now?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Also there is strange parameter when testing with HWMonitor:

It shows SYSTIN temp 42 C and AUXTIN temp 142 C. What is it?

Vas - I set up my buddy with my old 7900 GT, he was using Vista and there was some bug to where the stock memory clock speed caused an error about 2 minutes into booting it. I used RivaTuner, it's free, and set up a profile that lowered the memory speed down about 5 MHz and he had no problems. As a precaution I upped his stock fan speed to keep it cooler from the get go. That way it wouldn't get too hot and try to cool it down after it was too late.

Also what manufacturer did you get your card from? Many offer lifetime warranties such as XFX and EVGA. Those are the only two companies I will purchase cards from. I had a 2 year old card die in my old man's comp and they RMA'd it no questions asked.

Vas - I set up my buddy with my old 7900 GT, he was using Vista and there was some bug to where the stock memory clock speed caused an error about 2 minutes into booting it. I used RivaTuner, it's free, and set up a profile that lowered the memory speed down about 5 MHz and he had no problems. As a precaution I upped his stock fan speed to keep it cooler from the get go. That way it wouldn't get too hot and try to cool it down after it was too late.

Also what manufacturer did you get your card from? Many offer lifetime warranties such as XFX and EVGA. Those are the only two companies I will purchase cards from. I had a 2 year old card die in my old man's comp and they RMA'd it no questions asked.

Thanks for the tips.

I have Saphire ATI Radeon x1950 XT. and the same problem - game freezes some 2-5 mins into the game (firstly the card warns that it cant't handle it and drops settings then in a minute game and comp freezes...

Can you please help me with tuning this RivaTuner correct way? I downloaded it but can't understand what to do..

Thanks!

right now I'm not at my home comp, at work in the squad. I will post some help when I get off tomorrow. If I remember correctly there should be a card icon there and when you click that you can adjust the settings from there. Pretty much ou want to drop the mem speed a little and then up the idle fan temp to about 50%, shouldn't be too loud. Then save the settings and check the box that says run at startup, or something to that effect.

Sorry I can't get more detailed right now.

Alright Vas. When you start up RivaTuner you are taken to the main page. It will have Target Adapter with two boxes under it. Click the arrow in the bottom right corner and then click the first icon that comes up, should be a video card. This is where you can adjust your low-duty fan control. I set mine to 55%. Make sure you check enable fan control, click fixed and set it to 55%. Click the apply settings at start up. Click ok. Next go to the driver settings area of the main page, click the box just like the top on and go to the video card. Click enable hardware overclocking. If you have not overclocked your video card before just click detect now, if you have reboot it and detect. From there bump your memory and core MHz down about 5 MHz and reboot. Make sure you check the apply at start up, just as you did in the previous menu. That's how my buddy's worked. Hope the same for you.

Archived