How Does 2k9 Compare To Mvp?

PirateFan13

I haven't been on this site for quite some time and now it seems to have transferred allegiences to 2k9 baseball. Is there a comparison, or is it just another half hearted attempt at a good game?

I wasted $40 on that stupid GM baseball game... what a waste... I don't want to waste any more money on another wannabe MVP2005

The answer to your question PiratesFan13 really depends on who you talk to in here.

I don't own the game myself because the demo would not run properly on my system, so I just have been listening to comments from everyone else in here about this game. From what I gather, the game has potential because some of it can be modded (as evidence of the stadiums for download and a roster set by Snash) and this game looks very good graphically. Some people are having a good time playing this game.

On the other hand, I have also read that there are complaints about this game that has to be addressed. There's a franchise bug that freezes the game when you play a franchise. There's a first base bug and I am not really sure what's up with that. I haven't been able to ask anyone about that yet. The cyberfaces for this game are a complaint too. Players like Ken Griffey Junior and Derek Jeter don't look like their real life counterparts. There are other complaints too.

The good news is there is a patch coming for this game. When it will be released is anyone's guess and it is also up in the air as to what is going to be fixed.

I hope this helped.

Number 1

FOM2009 is not that bad after they released The .pdf manual I was able to manage all functions

Number 2

MLB 2k9 is 100% worth the $19.99 for PC

(Simple fact your here at MVPMODS.com with the best modders in the baseball business)

MLB 2k9 is NOT worth $59.99 for 360 etc.

(no 1920x1450 or higher Resolution , Lag in Multiplayer worth the extra $ nope , no Ultra High Settings , no Cyberfaces etc.....)

Number 1

FOM2009 is not that bad after they released The .pdf manual I was able to manage all functions

Number 2

MLB 2k9 is 100% worth the $19.99 for PC

(Simple fact your here at MVPMODS.com with the best modders in the baseball business)

MLB 2k9 is NOT worth $59.99 for 360 etc.

(no 1920x1450 or higher Resolution , Lag in Multiplayer worth the extra $ nope , no Ultra High Settings , no Cyberfaces etc.....)

Are you serious?

For twenty bucks, it can't be beat. (because there are no other PC baseball games)

For 29.99 bucks MVP 05 was much much more polished.

The graphics are improved in a lot of areas, especially parks and uniforms, but lack in others including player faces and some animations.

What kills the game, for a lot of people including myself, are the defensive bugs that make it difficult. There are a lot of collision issues and defensive lapses from the AI that are very frustrating. No online play is also a bummer.

There was a support thread at the 2k forums listing bugs. But why in hell would the admins over there close something like that? Which leads me to believe that some issues will never be resolved.

You definitely get what you pay for. It's a shame because the game could really shine if it were tested more. There is a patch coming but those are never really guaranteed. Last I checked, this game wasn't made by Valve, a company that doesn't lock threads but actually listens to costumers and realistically tries to improve and not just fix their games.

You definitely get what you pay for. It's a shame because the game could really shine if it were tested more. There is a patch coming but those are never really guaranteed. Last I checked, this game wasn't made by Valve, a company that doesn't lock threads but actually listens to costumers and realistically tries to improve and not just fix their games.

Valve needs to make a baseball game!!! Now you know that would be an amazingly polished game with great fun gameplay. They still release fixes for their games years after they have been released.

Valve needs to make a baseball game!!! Now you know that would be an amazingly polished game with great fun gameplay. They still release fixes for their games years after they have been released.

That is very interesting...

Part of the prob may be that there has been no new pc MLB game now for several years.

Hopefully a patch for 2k2 helps and then IF they (or whoever) makes a pc game for next season it

will be another major step forward for the pc BB sim world. Sooner or later...one can hope

At this point, comparing 2K9 to MVP is pointless. 2K9 has been on the shelf for 11 days, and MVP was released 4 years ago, and has been heavily modded in almost every aspect of the game. After 4 years, it's without a doubt the best PC game to date, mostly in part due to this website.

A fair assessment would to be to compare them side by side out of the box.

It's been a while, but this is the how I remember it:

MVP 2005

Graphics - I'd have to give a score of 7. Back in '05, even for it's time, the game was pretty bland. Stadiums and unis were pretty generic, and there were essentially a handful of faces that were decently done. Better than the High Heat Series, but not by a significant margin.

Sounds and Commentary - Again, I'd have to give it a 6.5. The sounds of the game were pretty generic, and the commentary got repetitive fairly quickly, not to mention a small range of variety in what the commentators were actually conveying. In fact, most people probably turned the commentary off due to the shallow range of information, and just the fact that it just flat out became annoying.

Game Play - Out of the box, this is where MVP shines. To give it anything less than an 8 wouldn't be fair. The difficulty levels and "sliders" made an obvious and immediate impact on the game, allowing most people to tune the game to their own playing style, whether it be arcade or simulation.

Extras - 6.5 Again, even taking into account MVP was released 4 years ago, out of the box the game was pretty straight forward. It seems EA and the programmers focused most of their attention on game play rather than seeing how many different animations it would take to have a beach ball floating around the stadium. Despite the low score for Extras, in the scheme of things for MVP, it turned out for the better.

Bugs, Issues, and Support - 8.5 It's been awhile, but to the best of my recollection EA released a couple of patches for laggy game play, and it didnt take long for them to do so. Thinking back, I hardly remember much being wrong with this game to begin with, and most issues were consumer hardware related. I had the shimmering grass, and lag in the infield, but to be honest, a new video card took care of most of my problems.

Overall Score - 7.5

MLB 2K9

Graphics - Straight off the shelves, I'd give 2K9 an 8. Most uniforms and textures decent, most stadiums, and the overall atmosphere is better than any other PC baseball game I've ever seen. I didn't say "accurate", I said decent, probably even a little more than I expected. With better shoes and gloves, I probably would have raised the score to 8.5.

Sounds and Commentary - 9. Like MVP's "out of the box game play", this is 2K9's strong point. The sounds of the stadium are near perfect, the organs, hecklers, and the ambient sounds are all in place. You don't realize how much you miss them, until you actually hear them. The commentary is right up there with some of the best I've heard. Smooth, fluent, informative, and pleasantly flows with the game itself. More than likely it may get repetive over the course of a season, but that is to be expected in probably every sport game that you play.

Game Play - 6. MLB's game play straight out of the box is without a doubt one of it's weakest point. Even considering different styles of play from different consumers, the game plays like a massive arcade homerun derby, and the scores tend to end up looking like an NFL game rather than baseball. After personally tweaking the game (to my style), I'm finding that the game can be managed down to produce more realistic results. It's early, and there's more to be done, but until I see consistent results over 50 or 60 games, I'm reluctant to give it a higher score.

- CPU pitchers hit the strike zone too often

- CPU batters are too aggressive

Extras - 6. Nothing in 2K9 screams doing all the "little things" that you see at a baseball game, but it's apparent there was some sort of effort to do so. Although though it's a nice effect, it's not game breaking if I don't see the right dust animation as a batter tears it up going down the first base line. From what I've experienced, The Show probably does this best, but that's a different story. Some of the presentation player animations in 2K9 are quirky, and seem a little out of place. I just 'button' right through it anyway.

Bugs, Issues, and Support - I give this a 5 because (A) I've read about a ton of defensive bugs, but haven't experienced much and (B) the jury's still out on the support, at least as far the PC version is concerned. This score would go up tremendously if and when a legit patch is released and takes care of the known issues. That said, it's widley known that for some people this game is unplayabe, at least at this point. The burden lay squarely on 2K's shoulders to either make or break this game for most, and from what I've been reading around the net, they had better do something or suffer the consequences with future titles.

Overall Score - 6.5

Remember, these scores are my personal opinions based on my experience up until now. As of this very moment, MVP is the best baseball game on the market, and probably warrant's a "today" score of 9.5. The mods and this website have not only made this the most solid BB game around, but in doing so have prolonged it's life by more than 3 years. If 2K realizes how close they are to taking complete hold of this current (PC Baseball) market, they will fix the known issues and stay on board until their product is solid.

Gamers and modders will follow.

Archived