Strange Results With Franchise Simulation

rvd_tv

Just a quick question here, Is anyone else noticing when you simulate in Franchise mode that the hitting is just too good across the board?

For example, I started a franchise with the Red Sox and simulated a few weeks noticing that my pitchers were getting just demolished. Figured what the hell, lets check out this simulator and simmed the entire season.

Results: The lowest era on my entire staff was 4.55 and the lowest WHIP was 1.55. Every starter in the Sox rotation has a rating of 78 or higher.

Papelbon had a 6.16era 1.75WHIP 11sv in 25 opportunities

I looked at the league leaders and only 2 pitchers have an ERA under 4.00 while the league is averaging an OPS of over .800

Now seeing as the games don't take place on the moon there shouldn't be this much offense in the simulation.

Is there a fix for this or should I just trade all my pitchers for sluggers and go with the flow? (me playing every game wont fix the league-wide issues)

(Note: Teams with the WORST league ERA's in sim : Cubs, Sox, Jays ....hmmmm)

I haven't seen any ridiculous results really offensive numbers are generally on point, you may see a player or two have a breakout season, but nothin really out of the ordinary. Pitching stats are usually good too other than the saves, which are always too low. I have never seen era number anywhere near that high. There is always a few starters under 3.00. And the cy young winner usually has between 17 and 20 wins with an era around 3.

Do sliders affect simulation?

Not sure. But if so, mess with your pitching sliders and sim another season. And/or mess with the hitting sliders and sim a season. And before trying anything else. Sim the same season again in tact and compare your two results. First sim might have been a fluke.

Alright...the results are in : With cpu pitching maxed and cpu and user hitting at 0. I simulated the same season 3 times...

I can conclude that sliders probably have nothing to do with the sim results. The results are pretty much the same with a few more weird issues.

Every single NL team has a better team ERA and WHIP then the best AL team.

Best AL team: Minnesota Twins 4.49 ERA 1.46 WHIP (which would have placed them 8th worst in the 2008 MLB season)

2008 Real Life : Teams with era under 4.20 = 15

2007 Real Life: Teams with era under 4.20 = 11

Sim Seasons: Teams with era under 4.20 = 1 (3.91 era)

I know it doesnt have to be exact to real life....but close would be nice :p

On the hitting side of things...

2008 and 2007 Real Life : Teams with OPS over .800 = 2 to 4

Sim Season : Teams with OPS over .800 = Around 10 with league average being around .785-.795

It has something to do with the player ratings im sure.

The Average ratings for pitchers vs righties/lefties : 64/66 (Josh Beckett who is a 89 overall is only 69/74)

The Average hitters contact and power for righties/lefties : 68/70 64/64 (1st Baseman)

Now that looks fairly even, however I think it may have to do with the ceilings of these ratings...for example there are a lot more hitters with contact/power ratings over 80 then there are pitchers with ratings against righties/lefties over 80.

Tim Lincecum : Lefties/Righties 77/82

David Ortiz : vs Righties 84 contact 91 power (Just an example...there are plenty of players who have contact/power ratings against righties that are higher then 82)

Does this mean that in the simulation Ortiz will hit well against Lincecum every time he faces him? (which is barely ever)

What would this mean for a Pitcher like Beckett vs Ortiz? (74 against Righties rating vs Davids 84/91)

I cringe when I think of the "odds" of lesser pitchers vs any hitters with decent contact/power ratings.

I think I may just add a +5-10 to all the pitchers righty/lefty stats and see how that works.

Alright...the results are in : With cpu pitching maxed and cpu and user hitting at 0. I simulated the same season 3 times...

I can conclude that sliders probably have nothing to do with the sim results. The results are pretty much the same with a few more weird issues.

Every single NL team has a better team ERA and WHIP then the best AL team.

Best AL team: Minnesota Twins 4.49 ERA 1.46 WHIP (which would have placed them 8th worst in the 2008 MLB season)

2008 Real Life : Teams with era under 4.20 = 15

2007 Real Life: Teams with era under 4.20 = 11

Sim Seasons: Teams with era under 4.20 = 1 (3.91 era)

I know it doesnt have to be exact to real life....but close would be nice :p

On the hitting side of things...

2008 and 2007 Real Life : Teams with OPS over .800 = 2 to 4

Sim Season : Teams with OPS over .800 = Around 10 with league average being around .785-.795

It has something to do with the player ratings im sure.

The Average ratings for pitchers vs righties/lefties : 64/66 (Josh Beckett who is a 89 overall is only 69/74)

The Average hitters contact and power for righties/lefties : 68/70 64/64 (1st Baseman)

Now that looks fairly even, however I think it may have to do with the ceilings of these ratings...for example there are a lot more hitters with contact/power ratings over 80 then there are pitchers with ratings against righties/lefties over 80.

Tim Lincecum : Lefties/Righties 77/82

David Ortiz : vs Righties 84 contact 91 power (Just an example...there are plenty of players who have contact/power ratings against righties that are higher then 82)

Does this mean that in the simulation Ortiz will hit well against Lincecum every time he faces him? (which is barely ever)

What would this mean for a Pitcher like Beckett vs Ortiz? (74 against Righties rating vs Davids 84/91)

I cringe when I think of the "odds" of lesser pitchers vs any hitters with decent contact/power ratings.

I think I may just add a +5-10 to all the pitchers righty/lefty stats and see how that works.

just looking at those #'s I would suggest taking points off the batters before I touch the pitchers. I have a sneaking suspicion that the contact rating would be the culprit.

Alright I did a test with the latest rosters. And unfortunately I can confirm RVD's findings. I'll talk to Snash and see what we may want to do about it.

It will be a nightmare but I am sure we can figure something out.

I went through the roster and added 10 to each pitcher who had an overall rating over 73's righty/lefty splits. This seemed to help a lot with the simulations accuracy. Only 4 teams had an OPS over .800.

The only issue left is the high WHIP totals...ill try to see what else I can tweak to fix that.

Yea the simulation isn't good at all. Me and my lil' cousin ran a simulation franchise and starters would go 10.1 innings at times, closers would get only the final out, pitch like 2 innings or not even close when it's needed. It's ridiculous. Wish it had something like manager mode in MVP

hey RVD the reason I suggest lowering the contact rating of the batters is we can fix the deficiency with sliders if there is one. If the pitchers get jakked up too much sliders can't help that.

edit: If I get some time today I'll try lowering the contact rating by 10 or so on one team and see what happens to it,

Alright I did some testing and guess what I found. the league average contact rating of a batter is about 66-67 and after simming a season guys that had a rating of 66-67 were averaging.....

about .280 ding! ding! so a major re work needs to be done on contact ratings. I didn't think the power #'s were that far off.

Alright I did some testing and guess what I found. the league average contact rating of a batter is about 66-67 and after simming a season guys that had a rating of 66-67 were averaging.....

about .280 ding! ding! so a major re work needs to be done on contact ratings. I didn't think the power #'s were that far off.

I'm going through the teams now lowering players contact between 5 and 10 points. mainly based on previous season stats to see what kinda results I get. It will probably take a while but I will post the results in a few hours.

Hoop, you do know you can edit your posts right? Instead of making however many in a row you can just add to the first one.

Are you actually going threw each player 1 by 1 and adjusting stats?

well of course I know I can edit the posts but how else do you get the count up? LOL j/k

And yes I am going through each player 1 by 1 and adjusting. I am through the C's so far so Angels - Cubs are done. And I am seeing a significant change.

The Cubs were the highest hitting team of the ones I edited at .264 (I think off the top of my head the Cards could have been higher) And league ERA's are coming down slowly I have a feeling that when I am done we should be close to league averages for pitching. But we shall see.

Nap time for my old **** I'll report back when I go through some more. (could be as early as tonight being done but most likely Sunday night)

I cant wait for a roster editor haha. Then we will be able to tweak this stuff quickly and game everything perfect.

Is someone coding an editor?....if everything is just saved into a binary file or something I may take a shot at coding something.

I cant wait for a roster editor haha. Then we will be able to tweak this stuff quickly and game everything perfect.

Is someone coding an editor?....if everything is just saved into a binary file or something I may take a shot at coding something.

Tywiggins over at EAmods is starting on one. but I would imagine thats a long process, so for the mean time we are stuck with the long way :)

But with any luck this should balance simming with game play.

just a quick heads up for you. I've finished all the MLB teams on the community rosters. and simmed a couple seasons. here is a brief overview before I go to bed...

League average ERA about 4.70

13 teams were under 4.55 ERA

3 teams under 4.20 ERA

Highest team BA was .278

League Average was about .265

only 1 team under .240

Walk #'s are a bit high but I can't tinker with it much more without ruining the AI aggressiveness issue for in game.

I have to do some more tinkering with FA's and a few more test runs with them but I am fairly happy with the overall results.

Oh yah and there is some randomness to the simming as well when I went through the league leaders I would find the usual suspects and every now and then I would find a WHO THE HECK IS THAT GUY? that would make it into the top 10. The randomness is nice as if you sim this 10 times you will have 10 completely different results.

Yah I have found the same issues with the walks and homeruns being given up. Itll probably be a combination of contact ratings + pitcher HR ratings to get the optimum result.

i dont know if i have a HR issue. my league leader right now has only been over 50 once in eight tries.

Hoop, do you have any more results/conclusions from lowering the contact ratings for the players?

I ask, of course, becaus I am interested in doing this in my franchise. With just a small reduction in offense, I'd be in the "sweet spot" of game play.

I'd also be interested in any "format" or "plan" that you used in deciding how mnay points to reduce from the players.

Interesting that you brought up the HR leader not having more than 50, except for one season b/c Baseball Digest has an article in their latest issue about the decline of HR's over the past 5 or so years ... for *some* reasons HR leaders, and major league clubs overall, are hitting fewer HRs. Gee, I wonder why that could be? Pitchers must be getting a lot better, and quick. Har Har.

Alright I just finished the adjustments. I did not touch AAA because well I couldn't care less about the minors (sue me :) )

The numbers I have been getting have been consistent to what I was posting before and while the runs will be a hair up from MLB I think it's a result of the walk numbers but it's close enough that I am as happy as I'm going to be.

I'll be sending the roster file to snash tonight and he will release it when he is damn good and ready LOL but it will be V1.2 I honestly believe it is a significant difference. And I hope it gives you all better game play.

Archived