I Need A Little Input

mac992

I have no qualms about admitting that I have no idea who the current Pirates center fielder is (or anyone on their roster, for that matter), but try trading for Austin Jackson if you can.

If you're looking for more specific suggestions, try posting your current lineup, and what you're looking for - power hitter, contact and speed guy or overall good offensive player.

hmm no i dont really like those, lol im picky.

Guys that im looking to move are Jack Wilson, Adam LaRoche and maybe Freddy Sanchez and also prospects if the deal is right. Im going to be playing this franchise until 2K10 so it could go for a while.

Ok so im the Pirates and im looking for a bat to build a team around for the next few years, who do you guys think i should pick up? only realistic suggestions please.

Good grief man, Nate McClouth ... with Andrew McCutheon coming up end of last year and this year. McCutheon has been one of the highest rate prospects over the last two years.

McClouth is a great combo of speed and (some) power.

I don't think there's a young guy out that has the star power enough to "build a team around" that people would trade to the Pirates. The P's do have good young players at essentially every position.

C - Doumit. Switch hitter adequate.

1B - Adam LaRoche, decent power, more of a doubles guy. Good hitter.

2B - Freddy Sanchez, very good hitter, perfect #2 hitter IMO. I try to trade for him in every franchise because he has a good OVR for a lowish contract.

SS-Jack Wilson - trade him. His contract is too damn big for a defensive only player. The downer is you'll have to package one of your prospects with him, because no one would take him and his big salary for his poor production.

3B - Andy LaRoche - May develop into a good, solid ML'er. May not. High rated prospect.

OF - McClouth (stud ... if he played in a bigger market, he'd be a bigger deal)

OF-McCutheon - He, Fowler (COL), Maybin (FLA), etc are suppossed to be the next of the "speedy outfielders" with decent bats and awesome range.

Nyjer Morgan can fly.

I'm not real excited about Hinske and Monroe, and I would look to trade them for one medium level prospect or better yet, a middle reliever.

But, they also have a decent young starting staff (bullpen will likely be a problem). I don't think PIT's "trade bait" and contracts really allow for them to trade for a "young guy to build a franchise around". The only option might be to package Snell and someone else for a guy like Jay Bruce, etc. But, IMO, you'd end up giving more than you're getting.

If you're gonna use PIT, you have to accept that you're gonna "develop the talent you have". Jason Bay and Damaso Marte are gone. Zack Duke's stock has fallen mightily. You can get something for Freddy Sanchez, but IMO it won't be as good as Freddy.

IMO, I would play with the roster they have. They have good speed, and decent contact, pretty good pitching. Bullpen is a concern, as is lack of power.

Seriously, Hinske, Monroe, and Wilson as a package might be the only way to [1] get rid of wilson's big contract, and 2 [2] obtain something/someone of medium value ... but definitely not a big prospect.

Thanks that helped me alot, For the bullpen situation ive moved Capps to MR and i know in your opinion its stupid but the way i see it is that we'll be lucky to go into the 9th with a lead and i could give him 60-80 appearences from there and holding wins for us. I just think we'll get nore out of him that way.

I don't think it's stupid at all. I'd be willing to bet that more games are won/lost in the 7th/8th innings than the 9th. Doesn't make any sense to pitch your 8th-to-10th best pitcher in those situations with a much better reliever/closer waiting to pitch in the 9th. Baseball Prospectus has pubished similar thoughts based on thorough research of thousands of games/simulations.

Many of the 9th inning saves are the situation of a 2+ run lead with no one on. Stat analysis shows that even an average reliever will notch saves in those situations 70%+ of the time. This type of information is what the Oakland A's would use to get their closer a bunch of saves, making him look mimpressive, and then trade him to someone for a couple of good prospects. The Cardinals seem to be one of the few teams that cannot find someone on their team that can get 35 saves on a winning ballclub.

When I was a kid (Geez, did I say that), managers brought their 'closer' in when the game was "on the line", whether that was in the 7th with 1-out and 2-men on, or in the 8th. 1 inning saves, in regards to baseball history, is a recent phenomenon.

Also, I was wrong about Jack Wilson, he gives average+ offense at the shortstop position ... something like a .270-.290 hitter with 10-15 HR potential in his last 2 years. I don't see many Pirates games, so my perception of him is a bit dated. Good glove, pretty decent bat.

The Pirates also draftd the 3B from Vanderbilt (name escapes me), who is viewed as the best all around hitter in NCAA last year. He could be in the Pirates lineup as early as next year. Even though I praised McCutcheon earlier, I'm not sure he's going to hit well enough to be a solid MLB starter. He's got great speed and some pop. But, speed is primarily beneficial with guys that actually get on base a lot. Rickey Henderson's greatest value was not in his stolen bases (although it's a MAJOR plus), but in his ability to draw walks (all-time leader).

The Pirates, this year are going to set a ML record for most consecutive losing seasons. That could be your goal. Don;t break that record. 81 wins.

If im not mistaken McLouth had 26 home runs last year and i plan on keeping and developing him and if someone else bbetter suited to play center comes along id move him to one of the corners. Jack Wilson probably won't stick around, i just dont see a spot for him with the direction im going. As for McCutheon i think im going to keep him probably as a corner fielder but he'll have to wait a bit and i also have to find something to do with Hinske and Monroe.

And by the way Barry Bonds is the all-time walk leader now.

Oh my god, wow.

So its the fourth game of the year and I have Pedro Alvarez on second hes having a great game going 2 for 3 and Adam LaRoche is at the plate he gets a hit to shallow left and Pedro runs to third standing up. All of sudden it notifys me he has a knee injury so i send in Andy Laroche. After the game i get the diagnosis A TORN MCL! $#@$! He's now gone for 124 days. He started off great In 4 games he was 10 for 18 with 3 doubles and 4 rbis and was destined for rookie of the year. I cant beleive this happens in his fourth MLB game, oh well i guess ill have to wait until next season...

Archived