Does Anyone Actually Play With Player Cards?

beantown22

Just curious because I love adjusting my sliders to make the gameplay more realistic and more difficult for me...but they always shut off the player cards...is it really a good part of the game to collect them? I am just curious, starting a topic I havn't seen many talk about.

In my opinion they aren't worth it. From what I've heard, all they do is, once you unlock them you can create a team with them. Most people who like to unlock them do it because it's fun to them or they just like the achievements.

Since Franchise mode is pretty much broken due to the injury bug, most of my playing involves me trying to unlock cards and earn trophies.

I'm down to about 90 or so cards left to collect. Also have 32 of the 48 trophies.

I also love to make achievements but I am still debating whether or not I will play without them...I probaly will. I was guessing that when you unlocked the card you could use them like you could in Madden. Boost there stats when you play their card ect. I could care less if I could make a team out of them to be honest with you. Btw wicked, I know someone who is playing low A ball for the Cardinals. Pretty cool. I never knew that there even was a low and high A squad.

His name is Blake Murphy...he is a catcher...get this, he was stretching with a trainer in he weight room when someone knocked over the free weights and they hit him in the head...that is how he got put on the DL...bad luck. I'm not sure if he will ever make it big, but I just think it is cool that he is playing and was drafted and stuff. Over Christmas he was over my house because his girlfriend and mine went to college together and we drank beers and whatnot and became buds. Good guy, I wish him luck.

Just curious because I love adjusting my sliders to make the gameplay more realistic and more difficult for me...but they always shut off the player cards...is it really a good part of the game to collect them? I am just curious, starting a topic I havn't seen many talk about.

I unlock them. It gives a little something extra to a series against a specific team, when you have specific things to try to accomplish to reach a goal/accomplishment.

Darkspace's sliders allow for the unlocking of cards, and I am pretty happy with them (about 50 games). You start out with the pro sliders (you must swiotch the sliders to PRO, ten make your adjustments) and make the adjustments he lists. You cannot go below pro without disabling the feature, but you can always make it more difficult.

The only thing I cannot do with the sliders is reduce Inside Edge Influence to below 100. I'd like to take it down to 10 or so, but that disables cards.

I hated the cards in 2k8, but I like them this year (last year I used the dashboard cheat to unlock the cards so I could get uniforms and stadiums and/or I'd play my son with custom rosters and we'd intentionally unlock 10 or so cards per game). Earning player card as an opponent was a suggestion I made last year to 2k. I have no idea if they used it, but the change is there, and I like it.

If I had to choose between fun/realistic gameplay and cards, I'd choose gameplay. With Darkspance sliders as a base, and making pitching slider changes to make it more difficult, I'm pretty happy ... well, as happy as I could be with this game.

Note: After you exit from saving your franchise, you MUST save your profile. I figured the autosave feature took care of this, but when I checked the cards album, I didn't have any unlocked. I have earned at least 30 cards in my last 10 games.

I agree with you, since I am not going to play a second season of franchise due to franchise issues (reduction of roster spots, poor progression, injuries turned off, etc), I just controlled one AL and one NL team and am out to earn all the cards and accomplishments ... something I have ignored in previous versions, when franchis mode worked well.

I had the same problem when I first started playing MVP 2005. I would earn a bunch of points during games and then go to unlock stuff and they wouldn't be there. I finally came here and made a post about it and it turns out I had to save the profile too. I had never seen a game like that before and just assumed it saved both, wrong.

YOu have to select "save" from the main menu and then select "save profile".

It's goofy. Ya figure when it autosaves your franchise, it would autosave your profile. Duh.

i don't play with cards, but after every finished franchise game it says - autosaving your profile. and it doesn't save it? how very mlb2k9 of them :)

I'm fairly sure if you have autosave on that the game saves the profile. When I played franchise, I turned off autosave as I didn't want to lose guys to the injury bug so I didn't want my stuff saved. When that was the case, I had to manually save the profile. But when I had autosave on, it wasn't an issue ad I got cards.

I find it easier to get the cards by playing random exhibition games, since in franchise you're likely to unlock your teams quickly and then you can only get cards from one team per game. Still, I need to go back into franchise and complete a season so I can get the trophies that are tied to franchise mode.

If autosave worked for user profile, like it does for franchise files, I'd have over 30 cards for those earned in my franchise.

The only cards I have unlocked are from the past 2 times I manually saves my profile.

Granted autosave 'should' work for profile, but it doesn't ... at least for me.

Archived