Patch 2 and Player Progression: Testing Results

billharris44

Guys, I apologize but it's not being released until tomorrow. I usually hit my projected release, but I'm still compiling totals in a few categories just for documentation and comparison purposes. Plus I still have to write the updated readme.

Here's a teaser, though. After 60 seasons, here's the comparison between the league totals and real MLB 2003 totals:

Stat=2064 variance from 2003 MLB league totals

HR=11.81%

2B=8.79%

3B=5.46%

Runs= -1.50

BB=5.87%

SO= -0.85%

SB= 20.09%

HR and 2B are increased slightly so that Runs come out very close, because that keeps all the pitching stats in-line. Stolen bases can be adjusted to be almost exactly equal, but the caught steals will go up as well, so the engine precludes it from being accurate.

All in all, I could easily see that much variance after 60 real MLB seasons, so I think it's extremely playable with these numbers. League leaders look extremely good as well. I believe it's almost completely stable, so I expect that this will be stable for 100 seasons at a minimum.

Thanks or the reply Bill. The only bit I've done with Rookie.big, is to create 7 different hczone.csv files the idea is to load one before each pre-season so that year to year the computer created rookies will have different zones (as well as spray charts). I have not tested it yet but it looks like I'll get a chance this weekend...assuming the wife does not have a bunch of chores for me!! ;)

If your interested I can let you know how it goes.....I'm planning on starting a new dynasty using the patch #2 your prog mod and Kerm's OD Roster...should be fun!

Cheers,

Daniel

Guys, I apologize but I'm having a hard time finishing up. I want to document everything carefully and have league totals for comparison and it's a *itch to tally them all up, because it all has to be done manually. Yikes. I promise it's coming out tomorrow, whether the documentation is finished or not. :banghead:

Bill,

Have you had the opportunity to test this will Gforce's impending roster release? I know you guys have been coordinating but as you're both hitting the home stretch, I wondered if you were matching and verifying your near finished products.

I'm looking forward to both your efforts (and eventually his V2 with tweaked pro's) as my dynasty roster set.

-Nick

This has got to be some kind of record. I have NEVER been so crispy burnt trying to finish something like this. :banghead: :banghead:

I get an e-mail from Gregg (GeForce22) saying that the Total Minors roster set 1.0 will be released on Friday. I'm probably getting a preview copy tomorrow at some point. I think for that reason I'm probably better off testing and making changes to balance to Total Minors for V2, since most of us will be using that roster set.

It's ironic that the adjustments aren't hard to make at all--I understand what has to be adjusted from the results. The problem is compiling the results--all the league totals have to be compiled manually. It's a long trip through math hell. :evil:

Okay, it looks like I've survived. I'm writing up the read me file and it will be uploaded tonight.

We also tested it out to 80 years. Totally playable and totally stable. I have absolutely no doubts that it's playable out to the full 120 seasons with full statistical stability. :D

Okay, it looks like I've survived. I'm writing up the read me file and it will be uploaded tonight.

We also tested it out to 80 years. Totally playable and totally stable. I have absolutely no doubts that it's playable out to the full 120 seasons with full statistical stability. :D

Hey Bill, I think it's safe to say we all appreciate your work on this.

I wanted to know, a very basic thing since I'm no expert on this:

Does a rookie's performance in a given year affect his ratings for the next season? Do you see any pattern emerging there?

I use the term rookie broadly, meaning a young new player as well as a developping player in the minors..

Kamasutra, I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I believe that his progression is determined by both his potential and his hidden discipline rating (which I think essentially functions as a 'work ethic' rating). I don't see a pattern based on the previous year's performance.

Kamasutra, I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I believe that his progression is determined by both his potential and his hidden discipline rating (which I think essentially functions as a 'work ethic' rating). I don't see a pattern based on the previous year's performance.

ah thanks, that's what I thought. Maybe next year.

Good job on the mod

sask3m, for the PC version, you only need the progress.big file, and you don't need the modified rookie.big. Here's the catch, though--this is tuned to work with the player progression system used in the 2nd PC patch. If the Xbox version doesn't have that patch, and I think it doesn't, then it might still run but it won't really work well over time. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the v1 progress.big and rookie.big in the morning. If the Xbox version is the original, unpatched version, then that's what you should probably try to use.

Archived