My Game Plays Choppy :(

sfochs

So I bought a graphics card so i could play this game. Well the game works, but the game plays very choppy. I have all the visuals to their lowest settings(both in game and on my graphics card). Here are the specs for my PC and graphics card:

PC:

gateway 831gm

intel pentium 4

processor speed 3 GHz

ram: 2gb

graphics card:

pci-express

nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

Memory: 512MB

directX Version: 9.0c

Any ideas why its so choppy? Thanks for taking the time to read this... please help.

Next Gen games like MLB2K9 are heavy on Graphic cards. The 8400GS isn't enough power for this game. You should take your card back and exchange it for a 8600GS or better.

I have a 8600GS with a Pentium D Duel Core and I have no problems at all. Though i do notice the game runs way better if I reboot before playing.

Hope this helps,

i tried closes things that I new the names of, I even disabled my norton antivirus, it seemed to make it playable, but i still can notice a little bit of choppiness. I just don't play many pc games and I thought this one would have been enough... guess not

the requirements on the box say nvidia geforce 7900 gt or better, is mine worse?

Yes, your card has a Higher number but isn't nearly as good as a 7900GT. The 8400's are the cheapest of the 8000 series, like the 7300 was the cheapest of the 7000 series.Cheaper the card the less performance you are gonna get out of it.A 8600 has Triple the power of a 8400.

Without duel core power you will need a high end card to run this game smoothly.The 7900GT was a Very High end card for it's time and a 7300 was crap.

Do you think bestbuy will let me bring it back to trade it in?

Yes, they will let you exchange if you are spending more Money.If you want a good card that will run many high end games go with a 8600 or better or a 9600 or better. Don't buy a 9400 or a 9500, those are low end cards like the 8400 and will struggle with MLB2k9.

Also, stick with a Nvidia card, don't switch to ATI.PCs don't like to switch Video chipsets.

Also, stick with a Nvidia card, don't switch to ATI.PCs don't like to switch Video chipsets.

Just for the sake of factual accuracy, I'm going to expand on this.

Switching between graphics card brand names (ATI and Nvidia) is perfectly fine. You must uninstall the old driver first, otherwise you will run into severe system problems.

I have done this numerous times with various ATI and Nvidia graphics cards with no adverse effects.

A PC will be fine switching to a different brand as long as the old driver is completely removed and the new driver installed. A graphics card is a graphics card to a computer, they don't recognize the brands. This is exactly why you see no difference in comparable graphics cards between the different vendors (Sapphire, eVGA, Visiontek, PNY, BFG, etc). As long as they are clocked similarly and have the same basic features, they will perform the same (at least Nvidia card versus Nvidia card and ATI card versus ATI card).

Archived