Howto Create Player Portraits ?

AftershockFx

I've read through using the roster editor and applying updated photos to the portraits.iff. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what program I need specifically to create update portraits, the resolution of the file, the bg color needed for transparency and any other pertinent information ? Thanks in advance !

I've read through using the roster editor and applying updated photos to the portraits.iff. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what program I need specifically to create update portraits, the resolution of the file, the bg color needed for transparency and any other pertinent information ? Thanks in advance !

jhtapp76 has been making portrait packs for 2K10. I would get into touch with him via a PM.

He can tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?showuser=72667

jhtapp76 has been making portrait packs for 2K10. I would get into touch with him via a PM.

He can tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?showuser=72667

Thanks. I'm just trying to get pictures for some of the Pirates prospects by assigning them and editing them with the roster editor :)

1x is

DDS image in DXT 5 format with 8 Mip maps the image needs to be 256x256x32 the x32 means it has an alpha channel

2x is

DDS image in DXT 5 format with 10 Mip maps the image needs to be 512x512x32 the x32 means it has an alpha channel

Alpha channel is what gives you the transparency

1x is

DDS image in DXT 5 format with 8 Mip maps the image needs to be 256x256x32 the x32 means it has an alpha channel

2x is

DDS image in DXT 5 format with 10 Mip maps the image needs to be 512x512x32 the x32 means it has an alpha channel

Alpha channel is what gives you the transparency

Thanks for the help everyone. Right now I'm working on Pedro Alvarez. I used TyWiggins roster editor to get the physical traits of Alvarez right.

Now I'm just doing his portrait. I can make the portrait (which is 256x256 8 minmap), I save the tga file in photoshop as x32/pixel yet the background is still showing an odd greyish/brown color when I view the finished .dds file in NBA2K10 Mod tool =/. Any ideas ?

Thanks for the help everyone. Right now I'm working on Pedro Alvarez. I used TyWiggins roster editor to get the physical traits of Alvarez right.

Now I'm just doing his portrait. I can make the portrait (which is 256x256 8 minmap), I save the tga file in photoshop as x32/pixel yet the background is still showing an odd greyish/brown color when I view the finished .dds file in NBA2K10 Mod tool =/. Any ideas ?

I was having the same problem. You need to install a .dds plugin for photoshop. Just google it, download and put file in your photoshop plugins folder. Then you can save as dds with dxt 5 and MIP maps. Heres the options you will get when you save.

1-14.jpg?t=1272575877

I was having the same problem. You need to install a .dds plugin for photoshop. Just google it, download and put file in your photoshop plugins folder. Then you can save as dds with dxt 5 and MIP maps. Heres the options you will get when you save.

1-14.jpg?t=1272575877

I googled and installed the program but, I don't have the same layout as your screen shot shows. I'm running windows7 but, I have photoshop 7. I selected Interpolated Alpha (DXT5) and tried ot import the saved .dds file using NBA2k10 Mod tool and got the same result. Here are some screenshots.

When I goto save the .DDS file in Photoshop 7

photoshop7screenwdds.jpg

What the final .DDS looks like in NBA2K10 Mod Tool

nba2k10screen.jpg

Are those the exact options I need to have enabled to get the transparent background to work ? ? Do I need to change the background color ? Currently it's #BFB6A5. As soon as I can figure this out I'll be making prospect portraits :)

I googled and installed the program but, I don't have the same layout as your screen shot shows. I'm running windows7 but, I have photoshop 7. I selected Interpolated Alpha (DXT5) and tried ot import the saved .dds file using NBA2k10 Mod tool and got the same result. Here are some screenshots.

When I goto save the .DDS file in Photoshop 7

photoshop7screenwdds.jpg

What the final .DDS looks like in NBA2K10 Mod Tool

nba2k10screen.jpg

Are those the exact options I need to have enabled to get the transparent background to work ? ? Do I need to change the background color ? Currently it's #BFB6A5. As soon as I can figure this out I'll be making prospect portraits :)

You have to erase the background using the magic wand.

This is the order i do it in........

open image

right click layer (duplicate layer)

right click original layer (delete)

Maximize pic and (cntrl-+ to enlarge)

magic wand background

select - modify - expand - 1

select - feather - 1

(cntrl-x to remove background)

eraser tool to smooth edges

crop image to almost a perfect square

image - image size - 256 x 256

save as (.dds) name file example (1460_hernandez)

select (dxt 5) & (generate mip maps) save

enter file # in 2k10 mod tool

2-9.jpg?t=1272584389

3-4.jpg?t=1272584415

You have to erase the background using the magic wand.

This is the order i do it in........

open image

right click layer (duplicate layer)

right click original layer (delete)

Maximize pic and (cntrl-+ to enlarge)

magic wand background

select - modify - expand - 1

select - feather - 1

(cntrl-x to remove background)

eraser tool to smooth edges

crop image to almost a perfect square

image - image size - 256 x 256

save as (.dds) name file example (1460_hernandez)

select (dxt 5) & (generate mip maps) save

enter file # in 2k10 mod tool

2-9.jpg?t=1272584389

3-4.jpg?t=1272584415

Awesome, thank you so much. With as much graphic editing as I've done I can't believe I didn't think of it.

I can't get photoshop 7 to work with applying the alpha channels :(. I've tried everything.

I don't know man. It wouldn't work for me either. Give one a try the way i do them. See how it looks to you.

Its similar to how all the photos were done on this site by jhtapp76. He helped me when i was having problems with the box by saying this......

If it helps your sanity, I'll do the Dodgers right now. My method is to start with a high-res headshot and using Paint.net, remove the background (using the magic wand at 20% tolerance). Sometimes some touch up is required around the shoulders or hair (if they have long hair sticking out). Afterwards, I select the head and shoulders with an exact sqaure, create a new file with it, look for any residue, resize it to 256x256, and save it as a DXT5 DDS file with "Generate Mip Maps" checked. Import the res and viola!

He uses paint.net, but the way i described works for me in photoshop.

If you do not use an alpha channel they will look like ****

you magic wand and select all the background, expand my 2 pixels, feather 2 pixels, go the the alpha channel and fill the selected area with black

Ok so I finally figured it out. Thanks to everyone and their input. So far I've done Portraits for Pedro Alvarez, Jose Tabata and Brendan Donnelly. I'll be working on the Pirates prospects first then I'll upload them. I work the next two days so expect an upload sometime between Sunday and Wednesday !

Question for all:

Is there a free clearinghouse for finding the Photo Day shots? I have been able to find some on local newspapers' websites, etc., but I would imagine the teams make these available to media, right?

Where do you cats normally go for the images?

I could, but you wouldn't be able to do anything with it as you're not a modder, or in the modder's group. :)

I guess I'll have to keep modding. Can you tell me how to take a screen shot in MLB 2K10 so I can post my latest uniform mod ?

I guess I'll have to keep modding. Can you tell me how to take a screen shot in MLB 2K10 so I can post my latest uniform mod ?

There is no in-game way to save screenshots in 2K. Download a program called FRAPS: http://www.fraps.com/

Archived