Take Two Takes ALL

TCruse69

Video game maker Take Two figuratively hit a home run on Monday and announced that not only did it strike an agreement with the MLB Players Association as reported last Monday, but it has also struck deals with Major League Baseball Properties (MLBP) and Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM).

they control all Console/handheld/phones 3rd party releases

They do not control PC or 1st party releases

MS could BUY MVP from EA and release a new baseball game, Take Two's agreements will not allow a joint EA/MS release. If EA is not going to to release a PC version they might as well sell the game to a 1st party publisher and Sony already has a Baseball game

Here's a partial quote of article regarding PC baseball control.

"These exclusive deals specify Take-Two as the exclusive third-party publisher for officially licensed Major League Baseball video games. Consistent with Take-Two's desire for continued consumer choice, the hardware manufacturers such as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will retain the right to enter into development agreements for MLB games specific to their particular platforms. All other third-party publishers and developers are precluded from publishing officially licensed MLB simulation, arcade, and manager style games, either directly or in affiliation with a hardware manufacturer, during the length of the exclusives. Take-Two will be the sole developer, publisher and distributor of licensed simulation, arcade and manager-style Major League Baseball PC games."

Here's a partial quote of article regarding PC baseball control.

"These exclusive deals specify Take-Two as the exclusive third-party publisher for officially licensed Major League Baseball video games. Consistent with Take-Two's desire for continued consumer choice, the hardware manufacturers such as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will retain the right to enter into development agreements for MLB games specific to their particular platforms. All other third-party publishers and developers are precluded from publishing officially licensed MLB simulation, arcade, and manager style games, either directly or in affiliation with a hardware manufacturer, during the length of the exclusives. Take-Two will be the sole developer, publisher and distributor of licensed simulation, arcade and manager-style Major League Baseball PC games."

I do not care what your little quote says, I read many places they do not have control of PC baseball games, plus HOW do you determine who is a 1st party publisher for the PC. any one can release a PC. I have sold new PCs before does that make me a 1st party publisher???

I do not care what your little quote says, I read many places they do not have control of PC baseball games, plus HOW do you determine who is a 1st party publisher for the PC. any one can release a PC. I have sold new PCs before does that make me a 1st party publisher???

You may not care but that doesn't change the FACT that EA will NOT have the license to develop, publish and distribute of licensed simulation, arcade and manager-style Major League Baseball PC games.

Sort the UPDATED facts yourself.

1. Take-Two exclusive deal means that EA is not allowed to use MLB players names, logos etc. on console, PC and handheld games.

2. Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. has announced on 1/31/05 that the company has entered into a long-term licensing agreement with Major League Baseball Properties (MLBP), the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), and Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM).

3. The sweeping deal will give Take-Two "exclusives, include rights to the marks of all 30 Major League Baseball Clubs, MLB players, Major League ballparks and Minor League Baseball Clubs, as well as MLB.com online content, for use in Take-Two's baseball games," according to the groups.

4. In addition, Take-Two and MLB have put all other third-party publishers on notice that no wiggle room exists for their entry into the MLB-licensed space. The deal allows only the major console manufacturers, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, the "right to enter into development agreements for MLB games specific to their particular platforms." Earlier, many industry observers saw an opportunity for publishers such as Electronic Arts to collaborate with the manufacturers, possibly to co-brand MLB-licensed games. The agreement effectively closes that opening.

5. "All other third-party publishers and developers are precluded from publishing officially licensed MLB simulation, arcade, and manager style games, either directly or in affiliation with a hardware manufacturer, during the length of the exclusives," the groups said.

In a statement, Take-Two execs call that move "consistent with Take-Two's desire for continued consumer choice."

Hoping to bring added sizzle to the baseball space, Take-Two says it will introduce more games and will distribute them with greater frequency than the industry is used to. While it seems likely a flight of games timed with the start of baseball season in the Spring is a given, Take-Two says it will focus additional strategic energy on the "key the holiday-selling season." The company has plans to release licensed baseball games "year-round."

In conclusion, as with the MLBPA deal, the new arrangement gives Take Two exclusive rights among third party publishers only - so its titles will still face potential competition from Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo developed games - but a loophole identified by many analysts of the Take-Two team has been sealed up, with third party publishers prohibited from developing and releasing titles in partnership with the platform holders.

That effectively squeezes Electronic Arts out of the baseball market from 2006 onwards; the firm's MVP Baseball title is the most popular baseball game at present, with around 1.3 million unit sales last year, representing 61 per cent of the baseball market.

So you see that EA is NOT prohibited in releasing a NON-LICENSED MLB game.

I asked you, would you buy a NON-LICENSED MLB game? For one....I would NOT!

take 2 are greedy [naiughty words]
If Take 2 wouldn't have gotten the license, EA would. Take 2 had to protect themselves somehow after already taking hits from the NFL and ESPN deals.

It wasn't greed as much as it was defense. But that still doesn't make it right or good for gamers.

take 2 are greedy [naiughty words]

Take 2 are doing exactly what EA has already done with the NFL. EA set these wheels in motion a long time ago using there money to dominate the marketplace much like Microsoft has done to the PC world. They even tried a hostile takeover on UBIsoft and have now taken exclusive rights of the NFL away from anyone. If anyone is greedy it is EA but with that said I still think it sucks that we won't see MVP 2006 or ESPN NFL 2k6!

Take 2 are doing exactly what EA has already done with the NFL. EA set these wheels in motion a long time ago using there money to dominate the marketplace much like Microsoft has done to the PC world. They even tried a hostile takeover on UBIsoft and have now taken exclusive rights of the NFL away from anyone. If anyone is greedy it is EA but with that said I still think it sucks that we won't see MVP 2006 or ESPN NFL 2k6!

Well said.

they control all Console/handheld/phones 3rd party releases

They do not control PC or 1st party releases

MS could BUY MVP from EA and release a new baseball game, Take Two's agreements will not allow a joint EA/MS release. If EA is not going to to release a PC version they might as well sell the game to a 1st party publisher and Sony already has a Baseball game

still want to bet? MVP is dead.

Archived