Any Fight Fans In This Joint?

MarkB

Big weekend coming up, and with Mayweather's defeat over Mosley last week, 2010 could be a good year for boxing fans.

This weekend we've got Amir Khan vs. Paul Malignaggi and Nate Campbell vs. Victor Ortiz in Madison Square Garden, Julio Diaz vs. Herman Ngoudjo in California, Hector Camacho vs. Saul Duran (why is Camacho still fighting?) and a decent card in London, with Michael Katsidis vs. Kevin Mitchell. I still rank Katsidis vs. Earl in 2007 as one of the best fights I've seen in a while. Graceful? Hell no. Gutsy? Most definitely.

Any love for the fistic arts among the crew here?

He should have. He's 47 now, turns 48 in 9 days. <_< He's been in and out of activity since the late 90s, took some time out in late 2001, came back in early 2003, left again for 3 years in '05, and has fought once per year since.

I actually just noticed when checking his record that his fight was last night. He lost by unanimous decision. Duran had lost 8 of his last 10 fights. Definitely time to hang 'em up, Macho.

By the way, what's the deal with women boxers? Just...no.

That's what they have jello wrestling for.... :D

:lol: I agree, but jello wrestling isn't a professional sport, sanctioned by sports comissions. It's only sanctioned by the male population worldwide. :lol:

DJ, I have to admit, for some reason, I never really got into all the MMA variants. UFC, Strikeforce...watched a few shows a while back when it was first cominng out, both out of curiosity and interest, but I can't make myself actually find it interesting. Seems too much like wrestling, even though it's real. Althoguh it's cutting into boxing's "market", I don't think it will ever overtake it. As an aside, I used to work with a guy who's a semi-pro in MMA, and he's tough as nails and a great guy.

As predicted, Katsidis dropped the hammer on Mitchell and won by stoppage in round 3. Mitchell used his jab well for the first round and 2:30 of the second, but Katsidis figured out his timing and managed to get inside toward the end of the second. In the third, Katsidis came out strong and caught Mitchell with some clean hooks, and, with Mitchell on the ropes, Katsidis zoned in and caught him with a particularly short and sweet left hook which left Mitchell sagging and going sideways on the ropes, taking more clean shots. Referee Dave Parris stepped in to end it.

Now if Khan can dispose of Paulie "I have no fans worth mentioning outside of Brooklyn" Malignaggi, I'll be 2 for 2. :D

Archived