Yet Another Pathetic Discovery

Strawberry18

You can't change uniforms in My Player mode. And to make matters worse, the teams wear their regular road/home uniforms during spring training. These people @ 2K Sports laugh all the way to the bank, while we play the game scratching our heads wondering what they were smoking when the developed this thing.

It's a weak thing to complain about. There is far too much concern over trivial things such as uniforms and adverts in parks. The only thing that matters is how the game plays.

Why would you get the choice of uniform in "My Player" mode anywho? You are just a player. You don't make those decisions (in most cases).

• 3 weeks later...

This bothered me a lot as well, and it was the first things I learned how to solve. I'm on Year 3 of a My Player and there's nary a series that goes by that I don't switch up somebody's uniform (except Yankees/Tigers because they both have simply classic unis to start with).

Read THIS THREAD and you, too, will be able to quickly shift in and out of various uniforms.

The short of it: this free program manages all of your Mods so you can easily turn them on and off. For uniform swaps, you just turn on whichever uniform group you'd like to.

To use your example, in your Mods folder, create a folder named "Spring Training." Put a copy of every team's batting practice jerseys (the files will be called, for example, "uniform_nym_bph.iff" or "uniform_nym_bph.iff" for the Mets). Next, rename each of the "bph" files to "uniform_nym_home.iff" and each of "bpa" files to "uniform_nym_away.iff" (the italicized part you leave, since that is the team identifier). Activate this mod during Spring Training, and voila: batting practice uniforms galore!

It's not perfect: teams whose player names don't appear on their regular jerseys will not appear, teams whose BP unis use different helmet colors won't show those, and teams whose main uniforms have numbers on the front (but not practice jerseys) will have numbers on the front.

There's a way to fix this last one by modding those uniforms (I did it for the Tigers since I was going to be using those BPs so often): go into the .iff file, and simply grab the .dds pages for the Uniform Numbers and the Texture page for them (pretty easy to find). On the Uniform Numbers page, delete all of the little numbers. On the texture page, delete the same area, then (this is important) re-color in that area with a 50-percent transparency of the background green (120-100-50 in HSV, or 0-256-0 in RGB if I recall correctly). Plop those dds images back into your .iff file and Voila: numeros non plus!

It's a weak thing to complain about. There is far too much concern over trivial things such as uniforms and adverts in parks. The only thing that matters is how the game plays.

Why would you get the choice of uniform in "My Player" mode anywho? You are just a player. You don't make those decisions (in most cases).

With that kind of thinking, you could work for 2KSports!

What makes a game great is not just the gameplay, but the immersion factor. This is why a certain not-available-for-PC game is leagues better than MLB 2K10: it has little things like being able to check your swing, umpires blowing calls, pitchers who throw to 2nd base fewer than 25,634 times per game, rainouts, pitchers who occasionally hit somewhere other than the corner on 3-0 counts, lineups that change, and (gasp) throw-outs from the catcher that do not hit the same exact spot every single time.

I'll say it again: 2K needs to stop trying to do what Sony does infinitely better, and just make their game open-source, so the modders can make the whole thing better.

If game companies were smart they would open-source all their games, both as a way to make their game more enjoyable and thus making the players willing to fork over some dough in the future for an updated version with improved graphics, gameplay, etc. Meanwhile, the modders can improve the current game and fix errors and prove their mettle and if the company was smart they would even hire a few of these creative and more invested people.

Here is a thing I found that is just oversight or lack of baseball knowledge on the designers' part. When I play with the Brewers Alternate throwbacks the batting helmet has the current logo, not the ball and glove logo...when I play with the actually 1982 jerseys the helmet has the ball and glove like it should on the throwback...I also noticed the horrendous Braves alternate blue away jersey, the hat looks like it was made by a beginner modder who doesn't know how to match up colors!

Archived