Bad Teams In Total Classics "best" Of The 70S & 80S

davidwho

Why are there so many bad teams in Total Classics - Best of the 70s and 80s? There are quite a few that would be deserving of more recognition. However, I can only speak from what I know.

Things in Chicago weren't looking good for the White Sox when the seventies began. After losing a combined 189 games in '70 and '71, they acquired Dick Allen from the Dodgers. Allen would go on to win the MVP in 1972 as the Sox finished second, 5 ½ games back of a powerful Oakland team.

Yet it was 1977 when general manager Bill Veeck decided that if he couldn’t afford to buy good players, he would rent them.

For one year, The Southside Hitmen entertained fans with the power of Oscar Gamble, Richie Zisk, and Eric Soderholm. They won 90 games, and contended for the AL West crown, while the 1974 White Sox were just a .500 team.

I understand that it may have been easier to take teams from other mods in order to fill the Best of the 70s and 80s Mod. However, with there being mods from 1969, 1974, 1975, and 1978, would it be bearable to recreate teams that were actually the best of the 70s and 80s?

I have a lot of time that I would be willing to spend working on a project that would improve this mod, however, I am a rookie and have only discovered modding a few months ago. Since then I've been doing my best to recreate former players and teams but still struggle with fine tuning players' aspects.

Why are there so many bad teams in Total Classics - Best of the 70s and 80s? There are quite a few that would be deserving of more recognition. However, I can only speak from what I know.

I was curious so I went to see the listing of teams in the Best of the 70's and 80's collection. And, before I get started, in case anyone is interested, here is the listing of teams in this mod. And I have listed after the team names what that certain team was known for.

AL West

1974 Oakland A's WORLD CHAMPIONS

1977 Kansas City Royals AL WEST CHAMPIONS

1974 Chicago White Sox 80-80 FOURTH IN AL WEST

1987 Minnesota Twins WORLD CHAMPIONS

1974 Texas Rangers SECOND PLACE AL WEST.

1973 California Angels 79-83 IN AL WEST.

AL Central

1978 Seattle Mariners 56-104 LAST IN AL WEST

1978 Toronto Blue Jays 59-102 LAST IN AL EAST

AL East

1978 Milwaukee Brewers 93-69 THIRD IN AL EAST

1977 New York Yankees WORLD CHAMPIONS

1975 Boston Red Sox AL CHAMPIONS

1983 Baltimore Orioles WORLD CHAMPIONS

1976 Detroit Tigers 74-87 FIFTH IN AL EAST

1975 Cleveland Indians 79-80 FOURTH IN AL EAST

NL West

1975 Cincinnati Reds WORLD CHAMPIONS

1977 Los Angeles Dodgers NL CHAMPIONS

1980 Houston Astros NL WEST CHAMPS

1980 Atlanta Braves 81-80 FOURTH IN NL WEST

1989 San Francisco Giants NL CHAMPS

NL Central

1980 Montreal Expos 90-72 SECOND IN NL EAST

1978 San Diego Padres 84-78 FOURTH IN THE NL WEST

NL East

1979 Pittsburgh Pirates WORLD CHAMPIONS

1989 Chicago Cubs NL EAST CHAMPS

1980 Philadelphia Phillies WORLD CHAMPIONS

1973 New York Mets NL CHAMPS

1987 St. Louis Cardinals NL CHAMPS

Now I don't see a lot of bad teams there but I will go over the teams that I highlighted in bold just to get you caught up with the program.

1. The 1974 White Sox were a brand new team that was put in one of the later versions of Total Classics and that is why it was put into this mod. The best of the 70's and 80's mod was released in October of 2008. The 1974 mod was released in August of 2010 and the 1975 mod released in November of that year.

2. The 1974 Texas Rangers was the best team that came out of Washington/Texas at that time so that is why this was included. The same could be said for the 1973 Angels. Maybe this team was included because that was the year Nolan Ryan threw two no hitters for them. It was the modders choice to include this team and the others you griped about.

3. 1978 Blue Jays and 1978 Mariners. There wasn't that much to go on for both teams during this era and my guess is that these teams were included because they were one of the first teams of those two franchises. Yeah, Toronto did go to the playoffs in 1985 but no mod was made for that season.

4. The 1978 Milwaukee Brewers were a strong team in 1978. They won 93 games. I hardly consider them a bad team. Even though the Brewers in 1982 were the AL Champs they were not included here. You can find the 1982 Brewers in TC 10.

5. 1976 Tigers. Yeah, they were under .500 and yes the 1984 team was so much better, but the 1984 team is in TC 10 (along with the '76 team and other Tigers teams) and I imagine this team was included because it was Mark Fidrych's lone magical season.

6. 1975 Indians. Cleveland did nothing in the 70's and 80's. This team was the team with the first black manager, Frank Robinson.

7. 1980 Braves. Not much you can say about that. In 1982 the Braves did win the division but it was a flawed team.

8. 1980 Expos. The best edition of any Expo team in the 70's or 80's.

9. 1978 Padres. The first team from San Diego that tasted any bit of success. Yes, the 1984 Padres won the NL Flag, but go and get TC 10 if you want them.

Each of the above explanations are just guesses on my part. I didn't compile the teams. Someone else did. But I also had no problem with any team that is included in this mod. But just looking at the teams listed above I have come to the conclusion that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

I have a lot of time that I would be willing to spend working on a project that would improve this mod, however, I am a rookie and have only discovered modding a few months ago. Since then I've been doing my best to recreate former players and teams but still struggle with fine tuning players' aspects.

This mod needs improving? I don't think you have any basis to say that. But you know, there's no stopping you from making your own mod.

It's fairly simple .............

1) Total Classics was created by various modders that provided the Teams "they" were most interested in (no other criteria needed!).

2) The "Best of ----" Mods were built to include the Teams from a specific era that were already included in the Total Classics Mod.

3) If a Team had no reasonable representation from the selections of Total Classic teams then one was imported from an existing Total Classics Full Season Mod or else one was created from scratch for inclusion into that specific "Best of Mod ----".

Hope this explains it .................

Don

Archived