Portrait Mod Tool Problems

raidersbball20

raiders, the latest version of mod tool should decompress it. It will take awhile and there should be a little status bar showing the progress.

Be forewarned though, I'm already ahead of you on portraits and I've run into a wall. Using the TiT trying to import portraits into the game is causing the the portraits to be removed. Not sure what's going wrong, but if you can figure out how to put the portraits into the game let me know!

I'm not a newb Don :crazy: I did that...lol

I think the issue is with the format. I got it at 256x256 @ DXT5 but if you extract a vanilla one and compare it with the .dds you create they look considerably different. There might be a different way we have to compress them or something...I'm not sure.

DS did you strictly use NBA Mod Tool or the Portrait Decompress Tool last year? Just curious, cause I remember when Kraw designed it there was something about how it was supposed to provide more portrait IDs...blah blah blah. And since the program is old and only has the old mod tool built in its not an option. Let me know if you have any luck.

Just making sure u didnt overlook it,i know i have to collect my thoughts and remember how i did stuff lolol.Every year 2k changes something that has to be refigured.Just like when i first started doing unis,u were able to change the colors of the numbers and names on the back of the jerseys and didnt need another tool to do that until last year.I do like the screen where u can change unis and u now see the hat ,pants and jersey

DS did you strictly use NBA Mod Tool or the Portrait Decompress Tool last year? Just curious, cause I remember when Kraw designed it there was something about how it was supposed to provide more portrait IDs...blah blah blah. And since the program is old and only has the old mod tool built in its not an option. Let me know if you have any luck.

Interesting. I did not use the official decompressor. I just decompressed it with the 2KXX Mod tool. I'll try it out with the actual decompressor and see if it works.

Thanks Raiders. I tried it out and still no go, in fact the portrait decompress froze during the process (when it opens the mod tool and asks you to find your portrait.iff). So I think only the newer mod tool can decompress it. This is what's leading me to believe that you need to do a different form of compression when making the portrait but I have no idea what...

As well, ONLY the portraits I replaced do NOT show up in game. As in, it's the virtual cyberface instead of a portrait. All the other portraits remain intact which is why I think it's a compatibility issue with the individual ones I made.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

I tried 50,000 different combinations and found one that worked.

You need to save .DDS as a DXT5 WITHOUT Mipmaps. I swear that wasn't how it was last year. Regardless, that's how I got it to work. You need to use the mod tool of course to decompress the portraits as well. But that's all, happy modding! Also, you still have to import and export from mod tool first.

update:

Partial success...It seems the portraits work when looking at a roster in roster management and even in most in-game overlays. However it gets junked up on scoreboards (showing the wrong portrait of a completely different player) and on stat overlays when your batting it shows the correct portrait overlapped by the incorrect one seen on the scoreboard. No idea how to fix this yet...

Here's a screenshot of the glaring issues:

Capture.JPG

It seems to the same picture overlapping which is scott downs of the angels. Interestingly enough, his portrait is the first one to show up on the Mod tool. I wonder if that has anything to do with it since I imported all textures over that portrait in the mod tool and then exported them....

UPDATE:

What works:

(1) create portrait on 256x256 resolution

(2) save file as DXT5 WITHOUT mipmaps

(3) import .dds into the portraits.iff using the modtool

(4) export the portrait as a .dds out of the modtool

(5) place in potraits archive and import using the modtool

What doesn't work:

When you import/export using the mod tool, whatever portrait you select to "import" over will be ghosted when you play the game ONLY in certain situations as shown above. I tried this on 5 different combinations and each time it was a "ghost" image of whatever image I imported/exported over. Only the portrait updated is affected. It seems to be a mod tool error OR an issue with the 2K12 portrait.iff file. Further testing needed....