Pitcher Batting

Juippi

Ok, here's my problem. I live in Finland and I'm new to baseball so in games where you don't have your DH, how you are supposed to replace pitcher in batting order and prevent him from batting. I know there is pinch hitter opportunity, but then the pitcher is out of the game after two innings and the pinch hitter is pitching.

:fool:

In the National League there is no designated hitter for the pitcher rule. Only in the American League. If you pinch hit the pitcher in the National League, he is out of the game. In real life this makes for an interesting World Series. American League pitchers never get any batting experience, but in the World Series they have to take their at bats. They may have changed this rule recently for World Series games...not sure. Also not sure how it works in interleague games during the regular season. I assume they use whatever rule the home team league uses.

Edited by Crites

That's right. Up until 35 years ago every pitcher from both leagues had to bat. In the world series and intraleague, they play by the rules of the home team's league. Most NL games the starting pitching bats 2 or 3 times. It makes the game's strategy of bunting and runner advancement much more interesting.

Once you have the pinch hitter on the mound, simply replace him with a new pitcher from your bullpen. The pitcher batting in the NL does make for some moves throughout the game, but for the best challenge, play with a DH. You have to pitch to NINE hitters, and you never get a break like you do in the NL. This is one of the primary reasons the AL is generally considered superior to the NL in terms of hitters and pitchers.