Not to sound ungrateful but....

debauchlord

I don't want to *****, but I'm not very happy with this whole deal at all. Copycatting styles is not my thing. There has only been a couple of guys that have contacted me requesting advice and even my authorization for doing so... and I've explained them the whole process.

EDIT: I didn't mean to say that MY AUTHORIZATION WAS REQUIRED... instead, the way you should read this is that SOME GUYS EVEN CARED TO REQUEST IT, to which I simply replied that that wasn't necessary at all. I've never requested that because I consider such a thing an act of ridiculous vainness.

The thing is, I've been very busy with my postgrade lately and working on these portraits is very time consuming and hence, I'm a little behind with my sets. After doing some thinking, I've come to the conclusion that some people don't appreciate my work... which is fine, I have no prob with that, but instead of redoing my work, they should at least try to cater to the needs of everybody else.

I will finish the whole freaking NL this weekend and I'm really thinking about finalizing with my pal BoricuaPapi started with the AL. If I decide to do so, I will keep you guys posted.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm really growing tired of much too whinning, almost no gratification (I'm not talking about money here, just a pad in the back would suffice) and no proactive work whatsoever.

I'm done for now... :|.

Regards,

D24

not to be a smartass of anything, but what style are you talking about?

I know I get my images from one of three sources: getty, MLB, or a minor league home page.

you take what you can get (image wise) and start croping and working on the transparency. Every once in a while you have to resize the whole image in order to get someone whole head in the shot. But beside squishing the height by 82% what style is their?

whoa, Devil man, chill...I appreciate your work greatly. What I am doing, thanks to your help and Kamasutras is make my own as well. I totally eappreciate your work and look forward to each installment. I use you brave rosters. I just think that if one person puts out a braves roster, whats the point of wasting time making your own when you can just do one that obviously hasn't been done yet.

What i'm doing is filling in holes where people left things out and working on minors sets. The As and the Royals had and still have some of the worst roster pics in the game, and no one has seemed to tackle those yet.

I guess I could post the work i have done as well, but its a crap ton of random portraits and not entire teams. I did not re-do portraits I felt were decent or didn't need revising. I've redone portraits that were crap, this is true, but they were for my own use and I take no personal credit for them really.

The only major league teams that I have on my plate as yet to do are SD, Det, Tor, CWS, Oak, and KC. I have all the toronto pics, just have to format them. And I know someone posted the CWS rosters a bit ago, but they continue to crash my system...and I suspect that it is because they do not contain the second line of code which identifies what portrait it is.

Thats a long post to say thank you, man. Also, what do you mean by your style?

I don't want to [naughty word], but I'm not very happy with this whole deal at all. Copycatting styles is not my thing. There has only been a couple of guys that have contacted me requesting advice and even my authorization for doing so... and I've explained them the whole process.

just curious...authorization for what exactly? What is anyone supposed to ask authorization for?

Debauch:

No prob man, it's all fine. Thanks a lot for your gratitude.

Hmmm... style... well, the way they look, hehehe. Nobody else was doing portraits with the little glow surrounding the player's shape. That's it. But you know what.... this is a freaking game and I shouldn't really care. In reality, I decided to do these sets for my own use, but after seeing the reaction of a couple of friends, I decided to post them... and I'm really happy with the reaction of many people and their words of encouragement.

I'm just a little stressed out now... and after reading lots and lots of posts from whinny people complaining about this or that about some mod work out there, I just needed to express my displeasure about those complaints. As you already have experienced, this is a very time consuming work and seeing some people trashing it (not mine specifically) right and left just didn't seem fair to me and hence my reaction.

But don't worry... it's all goooooooood (insert southern accent here).. ;).

Regards,

D24

OK...

Here's the deal... if you read my first post in this thread, I mentioned the word 'authorization'. With it I didn't mean to say that MY AUTHORIZATION WAS REQUIRED TO DO PORTRAITS LIKE MINE... instead, the way you should read this is that SOME OF THE GUYS THAT CONTACTED ME EVEN CARED TO REQUEST IT, to which I simply replied that that wasn't necessary at all. I've never requested that because I consider such a thing an act of ridiculous vainness, specially for something so irrelevant like a freaking mod for a videogame :).

Clearer now? I hope so.

- D24

you know Devil dude...you're right, a lot of people take this way too serious. They want their authorization first or they want this or that. It's weird. Some people even ***** and moan with non stop ridiculous requests and refuse to contribute..

i do this for myself, not for others. And then i share it with others because i know whether i hear "good job fuzzy" Or "Thanks man!!" i know they are appreciative because without people like you, they'd still be looking at some distasteful portraits that seem to look so boring.

so without all the thank yous or good job or whatever, do this for yourself to make your game better and if you feel like it, let other people in the loop, otherwise forget it.

In the end, we're either doing this because we like to do it and not because of requests or whatever. Who are they to call the shots? Unless they're paying you or something, forget em. do whatever you want. do the same portrait 9 times over.

Devil, I have "adopted" your fuzzy glow concept mainly because it covers up jaggies without having to manually fix them.

Brilliant :) Fuzz: I didn't mean that Devil should not edit his own portraits, I was just getting confused mainly over why people do their own sets that are exactly like his, for the most part...and then ***** why there isn't any rosters for Team A or Team B.

i didn't mean to complain.

Debauch:

No prob man, it's all fine. Thanks a lot for your gratitude.

Hmmm... style... well, the way they look, hehehe. Nobody else was doing portraits with the little glow surrounding the player's shape.

The glow? well that comes naturally when you are doing the transparency. I've been trying like hell to get rid of the glow; personally I can not stand it. I re-released the Indians (v2) just trying to get rid of the glow

I just wanted to make sure I was not stepping on anyone’s toes but if it was glow you were worried about I do not have to worry.

Glow comes from when the background around the player is lighter (the background we try to remove and make transparent) than the color MVP uses for it background in the game

krawhitham: i look at you and i see you've lost your glow. You use to be able to walk into a room and light the place up, and now...and now...you walk into a room and there's a gasp of depair, people whispering in the air, "Where's kraw-kraw's glow?"

Everyone knows kraw-kraw use to run the show, and now, he's lost his glow like a 1927 victim of murderer's row.

krawhitham: find your smile kraw. don't let your glow go.

Archived