Grass Texure Replacement

billharris44

If any of you stadium modders aren't working on a specific stadium, I know that many of us would really appreciate just having the grass textures in the stadiums replaced. The full stadium makeovers are fantastic, but many of them take months to release. In the meantime, we could be playing with default stadiums with greatly enhanced grass textures, which would be great in the meantime.

If any of you stadium modders aren't working on a specific stadium, I know that many of us would really appreciate just having the grass textures in the stadiums replaced. The full stadium makeovers are fantastic, but many of them take months to release. In the meantime, we could be playing with default stadiums with greatly enhanced grass textures, which would be great in the meantime.

First, Hey Billy! :D welcome back buddy.

2, i like the idea, you do know that a stadium mod would still have to bereleased with new grass inserted (this for each stadium). If only ea had allowed a standard feature such as grass to beunilaterally applied throughout the files...

Which stadium's new grass would you like to see first?

I'm still trying to figure out how EA did the grass this year. Rather than incorporating it into the cram32.fsh they have made a separate field.fsh file. Also it seems the grass texture is overlayed over the grass pattern somehow. The actual grass pattern is somewhat transparent I think. As I work on Oriole Park I hope to solve this mystery. The default grass looks ok but it shimmers alot.

First, Hey Billy! :D welcome back buddy.

2, i like the idea, you do know that a stadium mod would still have to bereleased with new grass inserted (this for each stadium). If only ea had allowed a standard feature such as grass to beunilaterally applied throughout the files...

Which stadium's new grass would you like to see first?

Hey Kam! :D

I know they'd have to be released individually, but what I don't know is how long it would take to replace the grass texture for a stadium as opposed to how long it takes to mod the entire stadium (and the grass texture). How long does it take to replace just the grass?

I think I was hoping for "Gary Grass Texture" or the equivalent to come along and put some nice grass in all the stadiums. Then, if somebody puts out a perfect reproduction of an entire stadium, it's just a bonus.

I'm very impressed with what I see from the game so far this year. Except for those $*#@ shimmering grass textures. LOL.

And if I was going to choose one stadium, I'd probably choose Dodger Stadium.

WHAT THE FREAK??? Hey, My grass was shimmering. Is this normal? I don't care to get anything but the grass fixed now. I wonder if it is my system. I have a 2.1 gigaherts PC, ati radeon 9200 128MB vid card, and PC 2700 DDR ram 512mb. I'd appreciate any comments that would be helpful like Hey, its just your card it sucks. Or, hey, its the game, or hey its just the atlanta stadium.

WHAT THE FREAK??? Hey, My grass was shimmering. Is this normal? I don't care to get anything but the grass fixed now. I wonder if it is my system. I have a 2.1 gigaherts PC, ati radeon 9200 128MB vid card, and PC 2700 DDR ram 512mb. I'd appreciate any comments that would be helpful like Hey, its just your card it sucks. Or, hey, its the game, or hey its just the atlanta stadium.

Pretty much everybody's grass is shimmering. Also, I have the same card as you and similar specs - AMD 1.7, Radeon 9200 128MB (an old, outdated card), & 768mb RAM. One thing I did to improve the grass texture "shimmering" and some of the choppiness is change the AA & AF to 2X in the ATI Catalyst Control Panel (3D tab). It's helped out some........

what I don't know is how long it would take to replace the grass texture for a stadium as opposed to how long it takes to mod the entire stadium (and the grass texture). How long does it take to replace just the grass?

About 2 mins :D

Especially if you have a nice grass collection (this convo is starting to sound weird, hope DEA agents aren't tuning in)

I actually collected lots of grass, high quality bitmaps for 04 and the customized stadiums. I agree just the grass makes a huge difference in the feel of the stadium. I just hope I backed them up on cd's.

I think I was hoping for "Gary Grass Texture" or the equivalent to come along and put some nice grass in all the stadiums. Then, if somebody puts out a perfect reproduction of an entire stadium, it's just a bonus.

Lol @ Gary Grass (LMAO!) I agree building a stadium around it once it's moded isn't a crazy idea. It's a start.

I'm very impressed with what I see from the game so far this year. Except for those $*#@ shimmering grass textures. LOL.

yep as you see from the posts, it's not a freak occurence. I'm really glad I have the xbox now :D

And if I was going to choose one stadium, I'd probably choose Dodger Stadium.

Good choice

Yes the grass texture is layered. The first bmp in the field.fsh file - 000.bmp is the grass mask file. It is overlayed over the 004.bmp which is the layout. The only way I could stop the shimmering was to use EA's texture but to blurr it somewhat. I also resized and blurred the layout as well. The shimmering is caused by the light and dark pixels next to one another. If there are lots of variations in pixel color next to each other the grass shimmers when viewed at a certain angle. As a result my hi-res texture from 2004 would not work. The grass now is at a somewhat lower res but at least it shimmers a whole lot less.

I'm still trying to figure out how EA did the grass this year. Rather than incorporating it into the cram32.fsh they have made a separate field.fsh file. Also it seems the grass texture is overlayed over the grass pattern somehow. The actual grass pattern is somewhat transparent I think. As I work on Oriole Park I hope to solve this mystery. The default grass looks ok but it shimmers alot.

Actually, you can say it: IT LOOKS TERRIBLE!!!! In 2005 we have to deal with grass texture issues like that, looking at these fields gives you EYE CANCER :cry:

i managed to get the grass problem fixed by turning up my video card settings all the way. the choppiness is still there but the grass actually looks pretty darn good. I haven't even messed with modding yet, but I will work on some grass textures if I can get the choppiness fixed, otherwise I am not touching it. Grass is the hardest thing to get right, IMO.

It wouldn't take more than a half hour to fix the grass.

Archived