512Mb Vs. 1Gb Card For Mvp

bhutsell

Looking to upgrade a hand me down desktop computer that will be used solely for getting back into MVP.

It's an older P4 Dell 3100 (DV031) running XP, if it matters (215W power supply). Will I see any difference between a 512MB and a 1GB video card on a game of this age? It's only $15-$20 difference on most cards, but the potential requirement for a new power supply would add up.

I might have to step down to a 256MB card, depending on power requirements, although anything will be better than the on board Intel graphics.

Side note, only a PCI slot available, which really narrows down my options...

I think the 512 will be adequate, but may limit you running it in 1024 x 768 size if you want it smooth. I would also stay away from 2x portraits and uniforms. And depending on the card, sometimes the older drivers work better than the latest update. I remember that being the case when I ran it on an ATI card.

512 shoud be good for y. its really only in tast four years maybe you neede 512 fully to do this stuff.

uniform mightbe okm but portraitsi wouldsay away from too, that res will be fine for the max, dempeding on the screen y veiw the game on. remeber this gane bult before we got into the larger screens most of use now.

If you have a 512 card, 250W should be enough, but I doubt it will power a 1 gb card. There is a site out there that calculates the power you need based on your hardware, but can't recall what it is. Search some type of cpu power calculator.