Roster Experts: Looking For Some Basic Tips On Ratings/scaling:

vbprogjoe

I've already asked BSU-FAN this question, but he's unfortuneately been unable to answer it {probably busy editing and building the new year's roster(s)}, so I'll try to open up a thread to ask ALL of you how you handle it. That would be the following: How do you determine which players - specifically minor leaguers - you want to add to each team's roster & then how do you scale or weigh your rankings? I'm probably NOT completely clear on how the ratings & skills variables correspond with each other, but some of these ratings seem too LOW in certain areas, and others too HIGH!!! I'm mainly concerned about trying to get the A level guys (which is where most of the "fake" players reside) somewhat fairly aligned.

I already know which players I want to add under my favorite team, the Milwaukee Brewers (most of which I've ALREADY edited names & positions, etc on), but how have you fine people determined which players to add under, say the Yankees, Cubs, Rays, Reds, or Pirates (again, especially at A level; maybe AA too) when developing your roster iterations. By iterations, I'm referring to prospects and other players when filling out the rosters & getting rid of the "fake players" that come with the stock/original roster? What advice can you offer on which players you consider to fit the prospect status most succintly, and which players do you use to "fill out" the roster, but yet make it as realistic as possible? How do you determine which players are "worthy" for addition, and which ones you just skip as, for a lack of a better term, also-rans or "bums" the team has kept around as minor-league placeholders?

Then, in that same vein, how did you determine, say the ratings/rankings of those players to meet the realism factor? In short, how did you scale the top starter at level-A versus the top starter in AA (vice versa & so on) and how would you do the same in relation to say the top RBI guy from AA to level-A? Do you essentially go +/- 10 points in hitting patience or whatever it is called in the game, or the same for batter's eye (clutch rating, or whatever it is called in the in-game editor)? Is it as simple as that, or is there a much finer art to this practice?

Thanks All Of You Profoundly,

---vbprogjoe (Joe W.)

vbprogjoe@new.rr.com

My rating system is very lengthy, complex, and fairly hard to explain without spending several hours listing every single scale out with an explanation. However my system basically assigns a scale to each area of skill based on actual player stats. While I don't have the time right now to list every single scale I have created for ratings, a basic break down for rating hitters/position players looks something like this:

All player rating scales directly correspond to real life stats. However, where that scale starts and ends depends on several things such as: whether the player is an every day MLB starter, MLB back-up, MLB rookie, AAA starter, AAA bench player, AA Starter, and sew on.

Here is an example of how I come up with contact and power ratings for players:

Contact rating:

A .250 batting average for an everyday MLB starter equals a contact rating of "75" with each rating point representing .005 batting average. That means a player who hits .260 will have a contact rating of "77". A player who has a .265 batting average will have a contact rating of "78" and player who hits .300 will have a contact rating of "85". In turn an everyday MLB starter who is hitting .200 will have a contact rating of "65". I hope that makes sense?

For me, I come up with those averages by looking at a players career batting average and then look at the players last 2 seasons batting average and then come up with an overall average of those 3 numbers.

In turn that scale will move up or down by "5" or "10" rating points based on a whether that player is an everyday MLB starter, MLB bench player, MLB rookie, AAA Starter, AAA bench player, etc, etc, etc...

I use a very similar method when assigning player ratings to areas such as doubles,triples, or home runs.

Power Ratings for home runs and doubles for MLB starters begins at 50 and I give away 1 rating point for every homerun they average in 500 at bats. So here an example of how that works. A player that averages 22 home runs in 500 AB's will have a power rating of "72" and a MLB starter that averages 10 home runs in 500 AB's will have a power rating of "60". Again that scales goes down by "5", "10", "15", or "20" depending on which scale the player falls in(sometimes they fall between scales). So a AAA starter will begin his power rating at a "40" and will go up one rating point for every home run that player averages in 500 AB's. Again, I use the players last two years home run stats averaged out with there career numbers to come up with my rating number.

So in review...Basically I am creating a scale for every single rating and I correspond those numbers to the stat that makes the most sense.

For example: I come up with a players "Batters Eye" rating by combining the players on base percentage with the total number of walks they average in 500 ABs.

I have created a scale for pretty much every single rating including tendencies as I have noticed the tendencies play heavily into a players in game stats when simming or playing a game.

I hope this wasn't to confusing as I tried to sum it up as best I could without spending several more hours just typing my system out completely.

Now I am headed back to continue on with the player ratings for my roster that will be released before or on opening day.

Good luck!

I hope this helps and that I didn't confuse you more than you already were.

A few additional thoughts I think are important. Be careful for stats that are anomalies due to injury or some other freak reason. I watch out for these because they can cause some ratings to be off by a fairly large scale. Also...i use things like gold glove awards, all star awards, etc. to influence the scale of specific ratings if I feel it is justified. This means an all star who hits .300+ every year for many seasons will get a scale "5" points higher than an everyday MLB starter in his contact ratings.

This is quite interesting. The process is understandable, and I'd like to see if it corresponds to what happens in "real" games via some simulations. I am choosing to do other things right now, but maybe I'll see if there is a way to use this model with SBS strategic baseball simulator (or if it has been done).

• 1 month later...

My rating system is very lengthy, complex, and fairly hard to explain without spending several hours listing every single scale out with an explanation. However my system basically assigns a scale to each area of skill based on actual player stats. While I don't have the time right now to list every single scale I have created for ratings, a basic break down for rating hitters/position players looks something like this:

All player rating scales directly correspond to real life stats. However, where that scale starts and ends depends on several things such as: whether the player is an every day MLB starter, MLB back-up, MLB rookie, AAA starter, AAA bench player, AA Starter, and sew on.

Here is an example of how I come up with contact and power ratings for players:

Contact rating:

A .250 batting average for an everyday MLB starter equals a contact rating of "75" with each rating point representing .005 batting average. That means a player who hits .260 will have a contact rating of "77". A player who has a .265 batting average will have a contact rating of "78" and player who hits .300 will have a contact rating of "85". In turn an everyday MLB starter who is hitting .200 will have a contact rating of "65". I hope that makes sense?

For me, I come up with those averages by looking at a players career batting average and then look at the players last 2 seasons batting average and then come up with an overall average of those 3 numbers.

In turn that scale will move up or down by "5" or "10" rating points based on a whether that player is an everyday MLB starter, MLB bench player, MLB rookie, AAA Starter, AAA bench player, etc, etc, etc...

I use a very similar method when assigning player ratings to areas such as doubles,triples, or home runs.

Power Ratings for home runs and doubles for MLB starters begins at 50 and I give away 1 rating point for every homerun they average in 500 at bats. So here an example of how that works. A player that averages 22 home runs in 500 AB's will have a power rating of "72" and a MLB starter that averages 10 home runs in 500 AB's will have a power rating of "60". Again that scales goes down by "5", "10", "15", or "20" depending on which scale the player falls in(sometimes they fall between scales). So a AAA starter will begin his power rating at a "40" and will go up one rating point for every home run that player averages in 500 AB's. Again, I use the players last two years home run stats averaged out with there career numbers to come up with my rating number.

So in review...Basically I am creating a scale for every single rating and I correspond those numbers to the stat that makes the most sense.

For example: I come up with a players "Batters Eye" rating by combining the players on base percentage with the total number of walks they average in 500 ABs.

I have created a scale for pretty much every single rating including tendencies as I have noticed the tendencies play heavily into a players in game stats when simming or playing a game.

I hope this wasn't to confusing as I tried to sum it up as best I could without spending several more hours just typing my system out completely.

Now I am headed back to continue on with the player ratings for my roster that will be released before or on opening day.

Good luck!

I hope this helps and that I didn't confuse you more than you already were.

I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to ask you these follow-up queries, BSU-Fan, but I've spent close to a month and a half doing close to 4 to 6 months worth of work for a client/employer, and I'm still not quite done with that "odyssey" or recovering from it either. The next time someone, especially my employer says they have an application/program written in PL-1, that they want NOT ONLY updated, but translated to C++, I'm going to schedule a trip to Timbuktu or something. Especially, when it involves incorporating a database of keywords and phrases in Hmong to English and vice-versa, that they want to use for a client that has no expert to help you with such translation(s), thus forcing you to recruit someone to assist you with something like so. It's on the level of "Tax Day," but with doing it in a foreign language!!!

To my question, though. Despite the fact that your post was, indeed, very helpful and answered 89% of what I primarily needed to know, I still have a few questions in afterthought. Let's start with a simple verification of some simple truths you mentioned above, based off the following two player's statistical "constructs": Actually, just one construct, as to make it a simple comparison & not to muddy the difference's anymore than they need to be muddied. Let's just assume that Player A & Player B have the same mean (average, or whatever you want to say) between Career Stats & their last 2 seasons (which I know is unrealistic, but again for simplification purposes, let's just go with it). Another rather unlikely assumption I'm making or assigning (strictly for our purposes), is that these two guys average the same stats whether they go against lefties or righties, as it will prevent a plethora of unnecessary caveats we really don't need for my query! As well, let's just assume that the ONLY difference is which level they are playing on (AA & Advanced-A). They're BOTH the Starting CF of their respective affiliate, they BOTH have been in the minors the same amount of years, and they could be "twins," except for the fact they are NOT, and they really don't exist and are being used strictly for this example.

LEVEL   G       AB    R     H      TB    2B   3B   HR    RBI   BB   IBB    SO    SB    CS   AVG    OBP   SLG   OPS    GO/AO

Minors   168   596   96   165   194   21   4     0       50    70     0      116    72    28    .277    .371   .326   .697    1.84           [Player A in AA; Player B in Advanced-A].

The following Ratings Adjustments based on Level & Type of Player are applied to each specific rating we are discussing.

Every Day MLB Starter {Baseline}.
                    MLB Back-up {-5 Points}.
                    MLB Rookie {-7 Points}.
                    AAA Starter {-10 Points}.
                    AAA Bench Player {-15 Points}.
                    AA Starter {-20 Points}.
                    AA Bench Player {-25 Points].
                    Single-A Starter {-30 Points}.
                    Single-A Bench Player {-35 Points}.

Given these constraints and statistics we could expect the following resulting attribute ratings, correct?

Player A                                                                                       Player B

Contact (L/R): 60 (BA rounded down to .275)                                  Contact (L/R): 50 (BA rounded down to .275)
                     Doubles (L/R): 51                                                                             Doubles (L/R): 41
                     Triples (L/R): 34                                                                               Triples (L/R): 24
                     Home Runs (L/R): 30                                                                        Home Runs (L/R): 20
                     Eye (L/R): 74 (OBP rounded down to .370)                                      Eye (L/R): 64 (OBP rounded down to .370)

However, there remains these questions for my added edification:

Is there any specific attribute/rating that the "Real-Life" RBI stat drives?
          Is there any specific attribute/rating that the "Real-Life" Slugging Percentage (SLG) and/or OPS drives?
          What specific stats do you use to help mold your Baserunning attributes (like Speed, Aggressiveness, Awareness, and Accelaration)? I would imagine SB/CS fits in there somehow, but with which attribute(s)?
          I would imagine with the Fielding attributes (like Glove), you use the player's individual fielding ratios/percentages similar to how you calculate Batter's Eye (with OBP + BoB) or Contact (with AVG), but how exactly would you approach Throwing Accuracy, Arm Strength, and Anticipation?
         When addressing their Tendencies, what are the primary stats to use to mold them?
         Finally, what are the main "Real-Life" stats you use to address the Pitching Attributes. For example do W/L affect anything? How exactly does ERA play & what attribute(s) does it affect, and does WHIP have a play in any specific attribute? How do you gauge your speed, movement, and control of each individual pitch?

Thanks Again,

--- vbprogjoe (Joe W.)

vbprogjoe@new.rr.com

Edited by vbprogjoe