Adding player portraits

Mr_E_Mann

I have been struggling for over an hour now to install a player portrait pack into MLB 2K12, and have had no success whatsoever. It blows my mind that something that should be so simple has turned out to be so extremely frustrating. After watching a tutorial video, I attempted to download and install the NBA 2K Mod Tool in order to decompress the portrait.cdf and portrait.iff files, only to find that the NBA 2K Mod Tool download does not actually contain an executable file of any kind that I can run.  So, I tried using the MLB 2K12 Portrait Installer program that I downloaded off of this very website. I open the program, select my mlb2k12.exe file when it asks, and open the portrait pack (which is the 2017 Blue Jays portrait pack from this website) and click "Install". I get a message that says "ALL DONE" and "GOODBYE", but when I go into the game, none of my player portraits have changed. I even checked in the roster editor to make sure that the player photo IDs match those in the portrait pack, and also tried copying all of my portrait files and mlb2k12.exe files onto my desktop and running it from there, but to no avail. I also tried using the Portrait Decompress program (again, from this website), but instantly get an error before it even attempts to find my game directory. The error is "Either file already decompressed or it is not the original file". Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong before I rip all of my hair out? Thanks a bunch!

Download the Total Installer Thingy for MLB2k10 (TIT_Setup) from this website, if you don't have it.  Unzip it to desktop and it will install into the game.  Make a shortcut for the exe file where ever you want it to be (desktop). Double click on it and it should open up.  There is a little box at the far right side above the box that says "DDS maker".  Click on that white box and go to wherever you have your zipped portrait file.  Double click on the zipped portrait file.  The name of that file should show up at the top left side just below "select file".   Click on the "start" button and it should install your portraits into the game.  That should get your portraits into the game.  Let me know if you still have any problems.

PS:  The portrait.cdf and portrait.iff should only need copied into the game main folder.

OK, so I used the Total Installer Thingy to install my portrait pack. I checked in the game, and all of the new portraits were imported correctly, but all of the old portraits from the MLB 2K15 conversion mod that I had installed were removed (AAAAAHH!). Fortunately, I had a backup of my portrait.iff and portrait.cdf files on my PC so I was able to restore them, but how do I add my new portrait pack to the existing portraits without wiping them out? I now have a folder in my game directory called portraits, which only contains the photos in the portrait pack. The NBA 2KX Mod Tool will not give me the option to decompress the portrait.iff file, which leads me to believe that it's already decompressed, but the portraits from the 2K15 mod are nowhere to be found in the portraits folder.

There should have been a portrait folder in the main directory of the game.   If not then I don't believe the portrait.iff file has been decompressed.  Back up your portrait.cdf and portrait.iff files and if there is a portraits folder in the main directory, delete it, so we have no portraits folder for starters.  Make sure that you have JAVA installed on your computer.  There should be an exe.file for the NBA2K Mod tool, it will have a JAVA icon on the exe.file.   Click on the "open" option in the upper left corner under "file", then locate your portrait.iff file in the main directory of the game.  Double click on it.  Wait for it to show a bunch of files on the left side of program.  Close the NBA2k Mod tool.  Now unzip your BlueJays portrait zip file.  It should then create a portrait folder in the main directory with all the portrait.dds files in it.  Check in game to see that they showed up.

Thank you so much for your help. Your advice did the trick, and I now have all of my new photos along with the previous ones in the game. I had actually done each of those steps before, but not in that particular order. Thanks again.

• 5 months later...

Archived