How to force the stadium and play-by-play announcers to use generic player descriptions?

KingKelly

Is there an edit that can make the announcers always use generic desciptions of players? - That is, never announcing a player's first or last name.

Or maybe a database to edit players individually, that would be the hard way but would also allow me to edit on a player by player basis.

I'm guessing there must be a way to make all player announcements generic with one or two edits. Could someone please explain both options?

Thanks.

Every player has a unique ID that serves as his both his portrait and audio ID.  If the ID does not have a defined audio in the audio files, a generic announcement will be made for their name.  You could assign a portrait/audio ID that does not have a defined audio (for example, ID 0) to every player, but then every player would have the same portrait.  In the case of ID 0, it would be a blank silhouette.

Another possible option could be to edit the audio files themselves.  Audios are made up of two parts.  There is a header and the names themself.  The player audio files are found here:

headers: data\audio\spch_pbp\pnamehdr.big

names:  data\audio\cd\spch_pbp\pnamedat.big

When creating the Total Classics mods, I've sometimes edited the stadium audio, mainly moving audios around or deleting them.  I've never actually created new audios myself.  To delete an audio, I would just delete the header for the particular stadium.  When the game started, you would then hear a generic welcome message rather than something specific like "Welcome to Comerica Park."

I have never tried doing this with player audio, but theoretically, it should work.  You would need a tool like BigGUI or eazip (both available here) to edit the pnamehdr.big file to remove the headers.  It's not necessarily the one or two step process that you are looking for, but I believe it would do what you are asking.

Archived