How to make custom audio in pamusic.bin sound like it's coming from the stadium speakers... Ish.

ElusiveEllie

I downloaded the MLB 2K19 mod recently, and the creator (who's done a marvelous job, by the way) has custom songs in the menu and over the PA system. I wasn't a fan of the style of music, so I made my own jukeboxmusic.bin. However, I noticed that the music in-game was still the modder's soundtrack!

I found in a thread that the sounds came from pamusic.bin and replaced the new with the original. However, I noticed something - in the original, all the music was edited to sound like it was coming from the speakers in the stadium, but the modder's version didn't have that at all.

I did a little searching and some trial and error, and came up with an... okay-ish way to make custom audio tracks that sound like they're coming from the speakers, so I can mod in my own music. Unfortunately, it's not perfect. I'm a complete beginner at sound design and have never done ANYTHING like this before, but I did some web searching and learned enough to make a PASSABLE version. I think the original has some sort of grain filter or something to give it a more tinny sound, but I just don't have the tools for it.

I'm using Audacity, the current version 2.4.2. It's free, so don't expect any studio-quality audio, but it gets the job done.

First, you (obviously) want to upload your song into Audacity. Once you have it loaded, you'll select your entire song, easily done by clicking anywhere in the little rectangle to the left hand side (with the Mute|Solo buttons) that doesn't have any writing on it. From here, things get a bit messy.

First, you'll go into Effect > Filter Curve. This brings up an Equalizer view.

71JrAp1.png

Click above 1000Hz roughly at 3dB, and click above 10000Hz at roughly -3 dB, as pictured above. I know, not exactly specific, but it gets the job done.

Next, Effect > High Pass Filter. Set Frequency to 100.0 Hz and keep Roll-off at 12 dB.

vDNlSqB.png

Go to Effect > Amplify. Change Amplification to -3 dB. Mine didn't like -3 at first, so I made it -3.1. Just keep it near there.

iNDikqp.png

Effect > Reverb is next. I have no idea what I'm doing here so I just set some values and hoped for the best. Try to copy these values.

B8Wsua6.png

I've got Room Size at 60%, Pre-delay at 25ms, Reverberance at 94%, Damping at 58%, Tone Low at 73%, Tone High at 81%, Wet Gain at -1 dB, Dry Gain at 0 dB, and Stereo Width at 100%. Someone with more know-how that I could probably tell you what these mean and how to make it sound better, but I am absolutely not an expert haha.

We're almost done. We're gonna Amplify again to -5 dB this time.

CE72z1d.png

And lastly, we're gonna add even more reverb. Now, I don't know if doing these in this order particularly matters, or if I could save some steps. This is just what I did to make things sound... Okay. Ish.

Nxr3Im3.png

Most of the settings are the same, but I changed Room Size to 100%, and Pre-delay to 69 ms.

Once this is done, your audio file should sound... Somewhat more muted? And more reverb-y?

I don't know if anyone wants to go through this effort like I did, especially 8 years after the game was released, but I thought I'd throw myself into it all the same.

I hope this helps you all at least a little bit! Now, I'm gonna go stick some Lo-Fi Hip Hop video game soundtrack covers into my MLB game from 2012.

I commented in the chat box, but I think it would be awesome if you could upload all of this info into a Word document or something and then upload it to the Files section. That way it doesn't get buried and people will be able to find it a little easier. Great work!!!

2 hours ago, BallFour said:

I commented in the chat box, but I think it would be awesome if you could upload all of this info into a Word document or something and then upload it to the Files section. That way it doesn't get buried and people will be able to find it a little easier. Great work!!!

Turn it into a PDF so it's immortalized

Archived