Answer to Year 2 issues in Total Classics mods

BallFour

So the lightbulb just clicked and I think this might be the solution. I saw a question a few weeks back regarding why TC 93 doesn't work when it comes to Year 2 of a dynasty. And the answer was so simple, but it only dawned on me when I was editing team names for 2021. So here's the deal:

In the database folder, there are a few files that have a 3-letter team code. For example, the Yankees would be NYY, Scranton would be SWB, Trenton Thunder would be Tre, and Tampa Yankees would be TmY. You'll see these codes in the team.dat and tstats.dat files. HOWEVER, there is another place where these 3-letter team codes are extremely important - your schedule.big file. All schedules generated have the DEFAULT 3-letter team codes.

So even though you might have changed the Angels from Ana to Cal in a TC 93 mod, the schedule for Year 2 will be looking for Ana, and if your team code is Cal, the game would crash because there's no Ana team on file. Same with minor league teams. You might be tempted to rename Richmond's code from Ric to Gwi since they moved to Gwinnett, but it'll just cause an error in the schedule. The best thing to do is to look at the 3-letter codes in a default database folder. So Gwinnett would still be Ric, the Pensacola Blue Wahoos would still be Car, etc.

I *think* this should solve any issues with the game crashing in Year 2, but this is only for MVP 05.

Archived