Possible good low end GPU card for MVP (and other older games)

Gordo

Currently only have a 1 GB graphics card for my Optiplex 740 which has pretty much become my dedicated MVP PC.  The game plays okay but I do notice some stutters here and there.  This may be processor related, but I'm going to start with a better dedicated card for $50.  I figure I don't spend money on gaming that much any longer (a game here and there when on sale with Steam), so it's worth it for me.  Looks like this guy sells both full height and low profile/half height cards (the latter is my need) and includes an adapter to an HDMI output if needed.  Hopefully this will help someone out.  Plan B is getting a Dell Optiplex 980 with a faster processor for around $100.  Then I'll sell my 740 with the 1 GB card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224433438042?var=523218276627

s-l1000.thumb.jpg.53af2fb0d80b90f770d44ca282a1eb1b.jpg

Update: Card came in way ahead of time.  Uninstalled the old card.  Temporarily used the onboard graphics (VGA).  Used the AMD Clean Up utility to clean out the old video drivers (in safe mode).  Installed the "new" 2GB AMD Radeon card and installed the latest drivers and Radeon software program.  Able to play at 1280 x 1024 without a hitch and the processor is only a Dual Core AMD Athlon 2.60 GHz.  Using 8 GB of RAM as well.  The upgrade even allowed me to play the TW08 game without any lag as well.

Just now, Gordo said:

Update: Card came in way ahead of time.  Uninstalled the old card.  Temporarily used the onboard graphics (VGA).  Used the AMD Clean Up utility to clean out the old video drivers (in safe mode).  Installed the "new" 2GB AMD Radeon card and installed the latest drivers and Radeon software program.  Able to play at 1280 x 1024 without a hitch and the processor is only a Dual Core AMD Athlon 2.60 GHz.  Using 8 GB of RAM as well.  The upgrade even allowed me to play the TW08 game without any lag as well.

Man, AMD drivers give me shit all the time even when I use this utility.

My go-to is always DDU (display driver uninstaller) and it works like a charm every time, since there's an option it enables by default to not allow Windows to try to natively install their driver when it detects a device after you run the utility in safe mode.

Archived