Player Scouting Reports

bruins

I just bought Sporting News' 2005 Scouting Notebook, and I'll be taking requests for the info on players. It has all players who played in the MLB last year and top prospects. I was thinking this could help people that make rosters while they're creating/editing players. Maybe a mod could sticky this?

NOTE: Some prospects don't have much detail, some do.

Now start requesting! :p

PS: Please post what team each player is on, just to make my job easier.

NOTE: Some prospects don't have much detail, some do.

Jon Broxton (20) brings serious heat (95-96 MPH), and he struck out 144 in 128.1 IP at high Class-A Vero Beach last season. After battling the scale the previous campaign, the 20-year-old righthander lost 35-40 pounds last year...

Hong-Chih Kuo - N/A

Josh Hamilton - N/A

2003 No. 1 choice Ryan Harvey (20) took short-season Northwest League MVP honors in both the All-Star game and the Championship Series, where the outfielder clubbed four homers with six RBI and hit .556 in a three-game sweep...

Chris Lubanski

Position: OF

Bats: L Throws: L

Ht: 6' 3" Wt: 180

Born: 3/24/85 in Lansdale, PA

Since his selection as the fifth player taken overall in the 2003 draft, Lubanski has continued to impress scouts. His strong showing in the Rookie-level Arizona League earned him honors as its top prospect in 2003, and he was chosen the club's best player at Class-A Burlington in 2004. Lubanski hits for both power and average. He has struggled at times to make consistent contact, however, and is learning how to read pitches, but he projects as an important run producer. Strong, athletic and fast, Lubanski runs well enough to play center field, despite a below-average arm. Look for him to possibly earn a jump to Double-A.

Brian Gordon - N/A

Albeto Callaspo

Position: SS

Bats: B Throws: R

Ht: 5' 10" Wt: 155

Born: 4/19/83 in Maracay, VZ

Not only did Callaspo bypass high Class-A ball for Double-A Arkansas in 2004, he also shifted from second base to shortstop, as the Angels broke up their all-star middle-infield combo of Callaspo and Erick Ayabar. Callaspo got the higher assignment because he was the more advanced hitter with a better understanding of the strike zone. Despite skipping a level, Callaspo ranked among Texas League leaders in hits and batter .282. His bat control is impressive, but he may need to show more patience against more advanced pitching. While Callaspo has the tools to handle shortstop, he could be moved back to second base. His size may be better suited for second, and perhaps he and Aybar are meant to play side by side in Anaheim's infield.

Righthanded-hitting outfielder Nick Gorneault (25) has and unorthodox swing that isn't pretty, but he has power potential and a knack for making hard contact. While he also misses and strikes out a lot, he enjoyed a .280-21-81 season at Double-A Arkansas in 2004.

Reggie Willits - N/A

Ryan Langerhans

Ht: 6' 3" Wt: 195

Born: 2/20/80 in San Antoni, TX

The Braves have been patient with Langerhans, ever since the team drafted him in the third round in 1998. That patience is about to reap rewards after he made all the adjustments at the plate and emerged as as solid hitter who has the potential to hit for power and average. Still, Langerhans' strength is his defense. He can play all three outfield positions with aplomb, and owns one of the strongest arms among outfielders in the Atlanta system. He not only covers a large amount of ground in the garden, but also is a smart and aggressive baserunner. He should be a fourth outfielder with the Braves in 2005, and could emerge as a starter.

That will probably be all for tonight. I'll check back tomorrow when I get home from school and do a couple, but then I'll be off to baseball tryouts. I hope I'm helping! :)

If they're in the book, I'd appreciate any information on Catcher Nate Griffen, Pitcher Buddy Carlyle, Pitcher Charlie Manning, First Baseman Erold Andrus, Third Baseman Hector Zamora and Pitcher Mike Martinez. All are in the Yankees organisation.

Bruins,

How about LHP Mark Phillips (Yankees or Royals - I've lost track)? I knew and played with him in High School and am wondering what happened to him. He was a Hot Prospect for the Padres for a while before being sent to NY in part of the Bubba Trammell deal I think... once in NY I think he started to struggle and haven't heard much since.

Thanks

Grady Sizemore

Ht: 6' 2" Wt: 200

Born: 8/2/82 in Seattle, WA

Another top prospect aquired from Montreal for Bartolo Colon in June 2002, Sizemore has hit .289 in the minors and developed a power stroke since the deal. He has what it takes to be a star--from work ethic and make up, to instincts, speed, play discipline and a terrific swing. Last spring, Sizemore dropped 15 pounds to a stomach virus and started slowly at Triple-A Buffalo. Despite the setback, Sizemore, though just 21, excelled at the Triple-A level and reached Cleveland in late July. He hit .304 with 11 RBI in his first 19 games before a 2-for-33 slide landed him back in Buffalo. He was recalled again in September, possibly for good, as he could take over center field for the Indians in 2005.

Jeff Francoeur

Bats: R Throws: R

Ht: 6' 4" Wt: 205

Born: 1/8/84 in Atlanta, GA

Atlanta's first-round draft pick in 2002, Francoeur showed his desire and toughness last season when he suffered a broken cheekbone upon fouling a bunt attempt in July. Expected to miss the rest of the year after undergoing surgery, he returned a month later and earned a promotion to Double-A. An aggressive hitter with a line-drive stroke, Francoeur has plus power and is expected to hit for a high average in the majors. He possesses exceptional speed and is an intelligent baserunner. He has the speed and range to play center field and the arm to man right, with his ultimate destination to be determined by the needs of the parent club.

Andy Marte

Position: 3B

Bats: R Throws: R

Ht: 6' 1" Wt: 185

Born: 10/21/83 in Villa Tapia, DR

Chipper Jones returned to his old home at the hot corner in 2004 and never looked better with the leather. Marte, meanwhile, continued his rapid ascent through the Atlanta organization by ranking as the top prospect in the Double-A Southern League, despite missing nearly a month with a sprained ankle. Balls jump off his bat, and he is capable of clearing walls in any part of the ballpark. Defensively, Marte has steady hands, a strong arm and good range at the hot corner. Most impressive, according to Atlanta officials, is his unwavering, even demeanor on the diamond, a trait that serves as yet another indicator of how mature Marte is at 21 years old.

Eric Duncan

Position: 3B

Bats: L Throws: R

Ht: 6' 1" Wt: 205

Born: 12/7/84 in Florham, NJ

Duncan is a third baseman in an organization whose major league third baseman happens to be Alex Rodriguez. Drafted out of high school in the first round in 2003, Duncan hit for excellent power in two levels of Class-A ball in 2004. He projects as a power-hitting lefthander, which for 80 has been a recipe for success in Yankee Stadium. He figures to start 2005 at Double-A Trenton, where he'll try to cut down on strikeouts. Even if he remains a Yankee, it's not clear that Duncan can be an adequate defensive third baseman. If he's not traded, he should arrive in the major leagues--probably as a DH or first baseman--no later than 2007.

. . . High school righthander Philip Hughes ( 18 ) was the Yankees' selection as the 23rd overall choice in the 2004 draft. Hughes has an excellent fastball, and a good slider and changeup. He will start 2005 at Class-A Charleston . . .

Marcos Vechionacci - N/A

That will be all for right now. I have to be at tryouts at 5:30 (EST), and that will last until around 7:30.

...After missing 2003 with a torn rotator cuff and labrum that was rehabbed without surgery, southpaw Joe Saunders ( 23 ) returned, made 27 starts at two stops and reached Double-A Arkansas. He was 13-10 (4.04) while regaining his velocity during the season. He attacks hitters with a late-moving low-90s two-seamer, an improving curve and a changeup with good fade...

...Lefty Jake Woods ( 23 ) works with a moving fastball and big-breaking curve. His changeup isn't as far along, but he went 9-2 (2.60) in 14 starts at Double-A Arkansas before a 6-4 finish at Triple-A Salt Lake. He needs more time to learn how to take off or add on to his fastball...

...Acquired in the Steve Finley trade from Los Angeles--which had just got him from Florida in the Paul Lo Duca deal--Bill Murphy ( 23 ) projects as a bottom-of-the rotation starter. His best pitch is a changeup, and he also throws a curve, but he tends to leave pitches up. He has a soft body but above-average mental makeup and pitches with no fear...

Royce Ring - N/A

Archived