Player Progression Mod V2 Uploaded

billharris44

Bill - So you can change the ages in the .csv files to whatever you wanted? You have 18,28,and 45. But in theory you could have 18, 30, and 45? And could you have different ages for pitchers and batters. I see the different files for batters and pitchers, but do the ages all have to lineup?

Backdraft,

Yes, with some qualifications. 18 is used for the rookie tier, and you probably need 44/45 because I don't know what happens if a player is playing beyond the last age tier. So the key one is peak performance age. EA had it at 31 for default and I changed it to 28, so you can definitely change it.

Your question about different peak ages for pitchers and batters is interesting, and I assume it's possible, but I didn't try that. I also didn't try different peak ages for different ratings. That's also a possibility. Getting the stats to balance at the right level over time was so difficult that I didn't want to introduce another variable, and having a different peak age for each rating would have been very complex.

If you extract the files using EAGraph from progress.big, I think the files that have the pitcher and batter ratings (working from memory here) are:

pitchers--pitches.csv, pitcher.csv

batters--ovrbat.csv, lrbat.csv

I actually wanted to try different peak ages for different skills. We spent so much time balancing with one peak age, though, that I just couldn't commit to another 500+ seasons of testing to balance it again. :banghead: However, I did influence it through the progress.big file by min/max adjustment. For example, the min/max for the 18 tier for speed is not very different from the min/max at age 28. Plate discipline, however, has a hugely different min/max at age 28 than at age 18.

I'm glad some of you guys are interested in this, because I think it can be taken further. I'm just burned out at this point, though, and would rather answer your questionsand help you than bang out hundreds of more simmed seasons in testing.

I forgot to mention this. After 60 seasons, MVP league totals with the player progression mod are pretty much a draw in terms of accuracy with OOTP after 60 seasons, believe it or not (somebody sent me league totals from a 60-season OOTP save to compare). If MVP produced runs as efficiently, it would actually be quite a bit MORE accurate at the league total level. So this engine is really remarkable for a graphics-based game. That's why I'm sure that more complex simulation could be squeezed out of it.

They'll definitely change something if they don't crash the game. If you try to start a dynasty and get kicked out to the desktop, you know it's related to the last thing you changed (which is why you should always keep a backup of progress.big handy).

Archived