PRETTY GAME BUT.......

BGRIMM

MVP 2004 IS A GORGOUS GAME, BUT ITS STILL LEAVES ME WITH THE GLASS IS HALF EMPTY FEELING. MY BIGGEST BEEF IS ITS WAAAAY TO EASY TO HIT HOMERUNS!!! I EVEN TURNED THE SLIDER TO -50 AND STILL HIT TOO MANY. MY OTHER BEEF IS THAT THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH WALKS. THE PITCHER SLIDER IS GREAT, BUT ITS STILL WAY TO EASY TO THROW STRIKES. THE ONLY WAY TO GIVE UP A WALK IS TO GIVE THE OPPOSITION ONE ON PURPOSE. I HAVE A FIX FOR THIS. THEY SHOULD MAKE THE RED AREA IN THE SLIDER BAR MUCH MORE SMALLER WHEN YOU AIM FOR THE OUTER EDGES OF THE STRIKE ZONE, SO ITS HARDER TO HIT THE STRIKE ZONE IF YOU WANT TO NIP THE CORNERS. ALSO THE RED ZONE IN THE SLIDER BAR SHOULD GET SMALLER WITH EVERY BALL YOU HAVE IN THE BATTERS COUNT. THIS WOULD REPRESENT A PITCHER HAVING CONTROL PROBLEMS. I STILL THINK HIGH HEAT BASEBALL WAS A BETTER GAME. YES IT WAS NOT AS PRETTY TO LOOK AT, BUT YOU GOT A MORE REALISTIC GAME. ANYBODY ELSE FEEL ITS WAY TO EASY TO HIT HOMERUNS?? I USE THE CUBS IN ALL-STAR LEVEL. MAYBE IF I USE MVP LEVEL THERE WILL BE LESS BUT I BET THERE WILL STILL BE WAY TO MANY. I HEARD SOME OF YOU GUYS COMPLAING ABOUT "WHERE ARE THE HOMERUNS?" THESE GUYS MUST NOT BE USING A ANALOG STICK.

Guest Deznuts

First, I suggest you turn your Caps Lock off. It's a lot easier to read that way. Second, I suggest you download Ron Rodkey's Modified DataFile v.004 here...

http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.p...file&id=231

I have been using it and it makes games more realistic. There aren't homers every at bat and many games come down to low scoring pitcher's duels. I also suggest you turn off your hot/cold zones and possibly even the strike zone box. This makes pitching harder and more realistic for you.

yes, it's easy to hit homers all day with my team.. da Cubs: Sosa, Patterson, Alou, Lee, Ramirez, and heck even Walker, Barret and AlexG chimes in here and there.

Anyways, I'm having a blast and there's no way for me to tell if it's too easy or if my team is just powerful at this point... but damn, it's fun!!!!!

Guest Deznuts

yes, it's easy to hit homers all day with my team.. da Cubs: Sosa, Patterson, Alou, Lee, Ramirez, and heck even Walker, Barret and AlexG chimes in here and there.

Anyways, I'm having a blast and there's no way for me to tell if it's too easy or if my team is just powerful at this point... but damn, it's fun!!!!!

I did the same with the White Sox and Ordonez, Thomas, Lee, Konerko, Crede, Rowand, and Uribe. You should definately try roddata4. It makes the game much more realistic and you don't get a homer every at bat.

I get very realistic #s from everyone except the top of the line hitters with RodData4. I still hit too many homeruns with them(I had a RedSox dyanasty and Pujols had like 28 homers through the first two months) but everyone else is accurate, so if I try to change sliders I get accurate #s with Pujols and the like, but lesser #s with everyone else. So I just try to hit less homers with Pujols, like trying to hit singles through the hole and stuff to balance out the #s and it works fine and I've raised his average like 30 points in doing so. I even get those odd days, like one game I hit three homers with Scott Podsednik in the Skydome, yet those are the only 3 homers I hit in like 3 months wih him. And that game also proved to me that the lefty glitch is gone. :)

I have a fix for the too many homeruns glitch. I turned up the slider for batter power to +30 and never use the anolog stick for batting unless i need a sacrafice fly. This still gives me the occasional homerun with any batter when the pitcher throws a mistake pitch. This makes the game a whole lot more fun since now i get a lot more ground balls and im not hitting 5 home runs a game. when u use the analog stick for hitting its too easy to get in the habbit of swinging for the fences at every bat.

Couple of minor problems with v5, though. First, some of the stretch out catches look like they were fastforworded (probably because preceding animations were slowed down) while the slower animations have resulted in three CPU players being picked off while walking back to first/second through a total of six or seven games played using it, though.

BTW, any thoughts as to wich version of Rodkey's file (3, 4, or 5) is best/most realitic?

Archived