New York Yankees dynasty

MarkB

OK, I'm not finished my rosters yet and I'm not really starting my dynasty until my rosters are complete, but I'm going to start playing the Spring Training games later tonight.

Will update with results and notes. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, oly! :)

I finished my first ST game about an hour and a half ago, but haven't had a chance to update the thread.

Well, here goes. Welcome to Yankees baseball 005. :D

First game of Spring Training, New York Yankees host the Pittsburg Pirates.

Spring Training stadium one is the Yankees home for March.

Randy Johnson starts for the Yankees and Oliver Perez starts for the Pirates.

Tyke Redman homers in the 2nd after Ward singled and Ty Wigginton walked.

Randy Johnson is pulled after 5 1/3 innings and 73 pitches and is replaced by Mike Stanton.

No-hitter for Perez through 7 1/3 innings when Bernie Williams lined a hit to right field, to which the announcer said "And that'll fall in for a base hit". Due to the shallowness of right field, the right fielder threw the ball to first and the umpire ruled Bernie out. Joe Torre charges out of the dugout to argue the call and is ejected. Gary Sheffield got exactly the same treatment in the 8th, but this time the call wasn't close and he was out. Hideki Matsui doubled to center field and made it safely to 2nd, then Jorge Posada singled to move Hideki to 3rd base with 1 out and Tino Martinez singled to the right of 2nd base which the 2nd baseman couldn't field, scoring Hideki. Ruben Sierra then stepped in and singled, loading the bases for Tony Womack who then grounded out and scored Posada to make it 5-2 while moving the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Derek Jeter took a 4 pitch walk Pirates brought in Salomon Torres to face Bernie Williams with the bases loaded and 2 out. Bernie flied out and ended the inning with the score at 5-2.

Felix Rodriguez replaces Mike Stanton in the 9th and allows a double on his first pitch, then a home run to left field by Ty Wigginton. He closed the 9th out with no trouble. Jorge Posada doubled in the bottom of the 9th, but he stayed there as Torres closed the book on the first game of Spring Training.

Oliver Perez takes the win and Randy Johnson takes the loss.

Pittsburgh scored 7 runs on 9 hits and no errors, the Yankees scored 2 runs on 4 hits and no errors.

FINAL - 7-2 win for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Wow, you gotta love those shallow outfields - ouch! How many Spring Training games are you going to play? I played a handful waiting for a more comprehensive roster release, and it was fun at first, but at some point I got tired of "exhibition" games (patience....not my strongest asset) and just started a real dynasty with what I had.

Looking forward to your next update!

I was planning to play them all and I started the second game a few days ago, but I had to keep alt-tabbing in and out of the game to take notes in notepad and the game crashed in the 4th inning. :p

I'm starting my roster work again in a few minutes, hoping for a final release tonight, so I'll probably just be starting the dynasty in a day or 2.

I don't know how you can say they're anemic...Through 25 games, ARod has 14 HR's and Matsui has 9. Sheffield just hit 2 more for me vs TBay. This is playing in All-Star mode with no strike zone showing. Personally, I think it's the human who causes the hitters not to hit well. Not enough patience on our part

I still hate the no-load umpires...what'd they do, hire them off the streets??? such crappy calls...

finally figured out how to bunt...not just drag bunt either.

As someone who watches every Yankee game religiously....trust me when I say the state of their offense (not their offensive potential) is horrific at the moment.

Actually...with a 10-14 record....their bullpen is superb, their starting pitching is All Star calibre, and their offense resembles the 1927 Yankees ;)

Mike

The season starts well!

First off, here are my sliders:

All-Star difficulty

User pitcch meter difficulty = -40

CPU pitcher ball rate = 5

User pitch control = -50

CPU pitch control = -20

User foul ball frequency = 50

CPU foul ball frequency = 50

CPU swing frequency = -20

User runner steal speed = 10

User runner steal delay = -15

CPU steal rate = 10

Runner injury freq. = 5

Pitcher injury freq. = 5

Batter injury freq. = 5

Fielder injury freq. = 5

If it'snot mentioned, it's at 0.

Now, first game. Red Sox @ Yankees, Opening Day 2005.

Randy Johnson pitches for the Yankees and David Wells takes the mound for the Red Sox.

All quite uneventful until the 6th inning. A bit of a pitchers duel. In the 6th, Randy starts to struggle and allows a couple of singles advancing runners to 1st and 3rd, and scoring on a sacrifice fly. Middle of the 6th, 1-0 Red Sox. Going into the bottom of the inning, Bernie singled and brought Alex Rodriguez to the plate who deposited the 3-2 pitch into the left field stands for a 2-run homer.

Tanyon Sturtze got up in the bullpen, but a successful mound visit meant Randy stayed in the game and struck out 2 batters in the top of the 7th. Tanyon came in to face Johnny Damon and struck him out, then, in the top of the 8th, had a 9 pitch battle with David Ortiz who worked the count to 3-2 before striking out looking at a splitter right down the pipe.

Mariano Rivera came into the game in the 9th and allowed a single before inducing a ground out and 2 strikeouts.

The game finished 2-1 in favour of the Yankees with Randy Johnson getting the win, David Wells taking the loss and Mariano Rivera getting the save.

Randy went 6.2 innings on 6 hits, 1 run, 1 walk and 7 strikeouts.

David went 8 innings on 6 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks and 4 strikeouts.

Bernie Williams had a 2 for 4 day and Tony Womack went 2 for 3.

Here goes, the first transactions of the year.

Traded Jaret Wright to the Houston Astros for Andy Pettitte.

Traded Carl Pavano to the Chicago White Sox for Orlando Hernandez.

Traded Kevin Brown and Felix Rodriguez to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Duaner Sanchez.

Traded Randy Johnson to the Minnesota Twins for Johan Santana.

Promoted Robinson Cano from MLB Yankees and demoted Rey Sanchez to AAA Columbus.

Promoted Buddy Groom and Chien-Ming Wang to MLB Yankees.

Traded Jason Giambi to Washington Nationals for Nick Johnson.

Starting Yankees roster:

Starter 1: Johan Santana

Starter 2: Andy Pettitte

Starter 3: Mike Mussina

Starter 4: Orlando Hernandez

Starter 5: Chien-Ming Wang

Bullpen:

Long relief: Tanyon Sturtze, Duaner Sanchez

Middle relief: Buddy Groom, Mike Stanton

Set-up: Paul Quantrill, Tom Gordon

Closer: Mariano Rivera

C: Jorge Posada

1B: Tino Martinez/Nick Johnson

2B: Robinson Cano

3B: Alex Rodriguez

SS: Derek Jeter

LF: Hideki Matsui

CF: Bernie Williams

RF: Gary Sheffield

DH: Ruben Sierra/Tino Martinez

Bench: Nick Johnson, Bubba Crosby, Ruben Sierra, Tony Womack, John Flaherty.

Notes: When I started the dynasty, the Yankees payroll was $211 million. It's now $170 million. :)

I was contemplating making the Matsui to center, Bernie to bench, play Tony in left field/get new left fielder, but I'm going to wait to see how Bernie pans out. No point in getting a new left fielder if Bernie is still OK in center and I don't need to move Hideki.

EDIT - Made Giambi/Johnson trade, updated lineup.

Traded Kevin Brown and Felix Rodriguez to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Duaner Sanchez.

Promoted Robinson Cano from MLB Yankees and demoted Rey Sanchez to AAA Columbus.

Starting Yankees roster:

Bullpen:

Notes: When I started the dynasty, the Yankees payroll was $211 million. It's now $170 million. :)

I was contemplating making the Matsui to center, Bernie to bench, play Tony in left field/get new left fielder, but I'm going to wait to see how Bernie pans out. No point in getting a new left fielder if Bernie is still OK in center and I don't need to move Hideki.

Great effort!!! Reducing the Payroll by $40 Million and look what you've got for it!!! Maybe you should have made a deal with the Phillies, to get Billy Wagner into your pen ??? :D Then everything is almost perfect!

Thanks, oly! :)

Randy Johnson starts for the Yankees and Oliver Perez starts for the Pirates.

Its ST! You dont have to use Starters so long in their 1st outings...You can take a look at all your pitching stuff everyday!

I know, that's why I pulled him after 5 1/3. :) Seems like the Pirates manager didn't get that memo. ;)

I'm actually pretty happy with the team I have now. I put my bad feelings for Andy Pettitte to the back of my mind and brought him back to New York. I might make some more changes depending on how the first month or so goes.

$170 million is still a hell of a lot, though. The Yankees payroll is probably "only" around $155-$160 million. The bullpen is probably the next location for some changes, I'm considering shipping out Gordon, Groom, Stanton and Quantrill and bringing in some youngsters (and/or promoting Scott Proctor), because those guys chew up about $10 million themselves.

Starting Yankees roster:

Bullpen:

Talk about some major trading action 8)

Yep, well, I'm not a big fan of how the team is laid out in real life just now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here we go again: Boston Red Sox @ New York Yankees, Opening Day 2005 - take 2.

The Red Sox take a 1-0 lead in the top of the 2nd on a Bill Mueller single to left with men on 1st and 2nd. Johan Santana then forced Mark Bellhorn to ground into a nice double play turned by Robinson Cano on his MLB debut.

In the bottom of the 4th, the Yankees tie the game when Derek Jeter scores on an Alex Rodriguez single after he had singled stolen 2nd and 3rd on David Wells' slow curveball.

Robinson Cano leads off the bottom of the 6th with a single to left and Derek Jeter attempted to bunt him over to 2nd base on the first 2 pitches he saw from David Wells, both unsuccessfully. After a pitchout by Wells, Derek deposits the 4th pitch, a hanging curveball, into the left field bullpen to give the Yankees a 3-1 lead. Cano then drove in Jorge Posada on a sacrifice fly in the 7th to increase the lead to 4-2.

The Yankees pulled Johan Santana in the top of the 7th in favour of Tanyon Sturtze, who pitched a perfect inning and a third before being replaced by Tom Gordon who only faced Jason Varitek, who grounded out. Mariano Rivera then took over for the 9th inning and came in for the save, but after inducing a Kevin Millar pop-out, Trot Nixon hit the 2nd pitch he saw from Rivera into the right field stands, just clearing the foul pole. Bill Mueller and Doug Mirabelli then singled, putting runners at 1st and 3rd with 1 out and Johnny Damon at the plate. Rivera struck out Damon on 6 pitches and Edgar Renteria grounded out to Robinson Cano to end the game.

Notes:

Derek Jeter went 2 for 4 with 2 RBI.

Bernie Williams and Hideki matsui both went 0 for 4 and Tino Martinez went 0 for 3.

Robinson Cano went 1 for 2 with an RBI and a sacrifice fly.

David Wells pitched 7.1 innings, allowing 6 hits, 4 runs, 1 walk and getting 4 strikeouts.

Matt Mantei pitched two thirds of an inning, allowing 1 hit and getting 1 strikeout.

Johan Santana went 6.1 innings, allowing 8 hits, 1 run, 2 walks and getting 3 strikeouts.

Mariano Rivera went 1 inning, allowing 3 hits, 1 run and getting 1 strikeout.

The Red Sox @ Yankees game on the 5th of April was rained out, so the game was scheduled as part of a day-night double-header on the 6th.

Game 1: Andy Pettitte vs. Matt Clement.

Top of the 1st: Edgar Renteria flies the ball to right field and ends up at 3rd base when Gary Sheffield failed to control the ball. It bounces into his glove, out his glove, off his head and onto the ground, where he then lost it. By the time he found it, Renteria was at 3rd base with 1 out. Robinson Cano saved a run by making a nice diving play to his left to prevent a line drive by Manny Ramirez scoring Renteria. David Ortiz flied out to end the inning.

In the 4th, David Ortiz made up for that run by hitting the 1st pitch he saw in the at-bat from Andy Pettitte into right field for a solo home run.

Andy Pettitte pitched effectively, but when David Ortiz led off the 7th inning with a single and Varitek walked, it was time to go. Paul Quantrill replaced him and allowed a single to Trot Nixon. David Ortiz tried to score from second but was tagged out at the plate by Jorge Posada. Jason Varitek advanced to 3rd on the throw and Nixon went to 2nd. Bill Mueller popped out to end the inning.

In the bottom of the 8th, Robinson Cano led off the inning with a single up the middle before Jeter did the same and advanced Robinson to 3rd base with no outs. Bernie Williams stepped in looking for a fly ball and instead grounded into a 4-6-3 double play and Cano stayed at 3rd, now with 2 outs. Alex Rodriguez then stepped in and singled up the middle to score Cano and tie the game at 1. Mike Timlin replaced Matt Clement and Gary Sheffield grounded out to end the inning.

Top of the 9th, game tied at 1. Buddy Groom replaces Paul Quantrill and immediately gives up a walk to Manny Ramirez. Jay Payton pinch runs for him and David Ortiz bloops a single over the infield with Payton heading home. Matsui's throw is off-line and Payton scores easily with Ortiz taking 2nd base. Jason Varitek then digs in and after a 6 pitch at-bat, he homers to right field to make it a 4-1 game. Kevin Millar and Trot Nixon keep the inning going with 2 straight singles, then Bill Mueller lines out and Mike Stanton takes the mound, giving up a single to Mark Bellhorn, a sacrifice fly to Johnny Damon and a single to Edgar Renteria before getting Jay Payton to line out to end the inning. 6-1 Red Sox.

In the bottom of the 9th, Hideki Matsui and Tino Martinez single to put runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 out. Kevin Foulke then comes in to face Robinson Cano who pops out to end the game.

Notes:

David Ortiz went 3 for 4 with 2 runs and 2 RBI.

Trot Nixon went 2 for 3.

Hideki Matsui, Tino Martinez and Robinson Cano all went 2 for 4. Cano's average remains at a solid .500.

Bernie went 0 for 4, hitless on the season.

Matt Clement pitched 7.2 innings, allowing 8 hits, 1 run, no walks and 4 strikeouts.

Mike Timlin pitched 1 inning, allowed 2 hits and got the win.

Keith Foulke pitched a third of an inning.

Andy Pettitte pitched 6 innings and allowed 3 hits, 1 run, 2 walks and got 5 strikeouts.

Paul Quantrill pitched 2 innings and allowed 1 hit and got 1 strikeout.

Buddy Groom pitched a third of an inning, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits and 1 walk. He takes the loss and increases his ERA to a compact 135.00. :lol:

Mike Stanton pitched 2 thirds of an inning, allowing 2 hits.

Series tied at 1.

More trades, less players, less payroll!

I just sent Tony Womack and Buddy Groom to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of southern California of U.S.A. of northern America of Earth in exchange for Francisco Rodriguez, and Ramiro Mendoza, Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill to Minnesota in exchange for Joe Nathan and J.C. Romero.

I sent J.C Romero and Duaner Sanchez to AAA Columbus and promoted Rey Sanchez to the Yankees. I now have 23 players on the Yankees, 24 on the Clippers and 25 in Trenton and Tampa. There are only 10 pitchers in New York now, 6 starters and 4 relievers (Rivera, Gordon, Rodriguez and Nathan).

By making these moves, I sliced another $7 million off the payroll and am now down to $163, with $68.8 million in the bank.

The way it is now, I don't have guys in the bullpen that I won't use that often, and if a starter goes down early, I have 2 guys who can replace him as well as play in the late innings as relief/set-up men.

I like. :D

More trades, less players, less payroll!

I just sent Tony Womack and Buddy Groom to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of southern California of U.S.A. of northern America of Earth in exchange for Francisco Rodriguez, and Ramiro Mendoza, Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill to Minnesota in exchange for Joe Nathan and J.C. Romero.

I sent J.C Romero and Duaner Sanchez to AAA Columbus and promoted Rey Sanchez to the Yankees. I now have 23 players on the Yankees, 24 on the Clippers and 25 in Trenton and Tampa. There are only 10 pitchers in New York now, 6 starters and 4 relievers (Rivera, Gordon, Rodriguez and Nathan).

By making these moves, I sliced another $7 million off the payroll and am now down to $163, with $68.8 million in the bank.

The way it is now, I don't have guys in the bullpen that I won't use that often, and if a starter goes down early, I have 2 guys who can replace him as well as play in the late innings as relief/set-up men.

I like. :D

Well...Great business!!! But to go with 10 Pitchers is in REAL Baseball absurd. Look at the giants...they usually use the whole Bullpen every 2nd game :lol:

With nearly 70 Millions at the Bank, you are ready for some BLOCK-Buster-Trades :?:

Yep, the team would be dead half-way through the season in real life, but of the 4 relievers I've got, 2 can go deep and I've also got Sturtze. I've got plenty of loot in the bank, but I don't think I'll be using it. If I manage to finish this season and start another, I'll probably use it then to replace some retirements or whatever. But I'll need to wait and see.

Pity you can't gain interest in the game. :D

Before I post my next game, I made some changes to my sliders. I played a couple of exhibition games and noticed that I had to try just a little too hard to get my pitch in the zone. Also, the pitch counts were still on the low side (this had been bothering me for a while, I just forgot to deal with it) and the CPU pitchers weren't tiring very quickly. For example, David Wells pitched a complete game on me the other day. So, I made these changes.

I decreased the user pitch meter to -35.

I increased the CPU pitcher ball rate to 25.

I increased the CPU pitcher fatigue to 10.

Well, armed with these changes, I went on to game 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before starting the game, I was reminded that the Major League roster needed a total of 25 players, and when I had sent J.C. Romero and Duaner Sanchez to the minors, I had reduced it to 23, so I called them back up.

Gametime!

--------

Game 3, series tied at 1.

Mike Mussina vs. Wade Miller in game 2 of a day-night doubleheader in Yankee Stadium. Coming into the game, Johnny Damon was batting an anemic .111 while David Ortiz wore out Yankees pitching, batting a square .500. Robinson Cano was also batting .500 going into the game and Derek Jeter was hitting well at .375 while Jorge Posada was down at .175.

In the 2nd inning, Hideki Matsui walked and brought Tino Martinez to the plate. Tino grounded out sharply to the first baseman who scooped the ball and tapped the bag, then threw to second base to try to get Hideki. The throw was a little off-line and Hideki made it in safely. This brought Terry Francona out of the dugout and as he argued the call, the umpire decided he had seen enough and threw Francona out of the game. The Red Sox didn't look happy.

The very next pitch, an inside fastball to Jorge Posada, ended up in 347ft away in right field as Jorge turned around on it and shot it down the right field line to give the Yankees a 2-0 lead.

Moving on to the 3rd inning, Mike Mussina hadn't had his best stuff and hadn't gone above 89mph on the radar gun when Edgar Renteria singled to left to bring up Manny Ramirez who grounded out and advanced Edgar to second base. Mussina got to 2-2 to David Ortiz before he hit a 2-run shot of his own to left field, tying the game at 2.

In Ortiz's next at-bat in the 5th, he seemed to like the feeling of home runs as he cracked another one to center field to give the Red Sox a 3-2 lead. Joe Nathan replaced Mike Mussina and closed out the inning.

The Yankees started chinking at the Red Sox' armour in the 6th inning as Wade Miller loaded the bases when Hideki Matsui reached on an error by Bill Mueller, a walk to Tino Martinez and an infield single to Jorge Posada who chopped the ball off the plate and beat the throw at first. Tino Martinez then came to bat with 2 outs, but Miller got him to swing and miss on a high 2-2 fastball.

The Yankees again had their chances in the 8th inning and loaded the bases once more on 2 singles and a fielding error by Edgar Renteria, but, once again, Tino was at the plate with the bases loaded and 2 outs, and this time he popped out.

The Yankees go into the bottom of the 9th trailing 3-2 with Robinson Cano up, who struck out. This brought up Derek Jeter who, despite being angered by the 0-1 pitch which was clearly outside, deposited the 0-2 pitch into the left field stands for a game tying, 9th inning home run. The Yankees went down after this, but the game went to the 10th inning.

Derek's 0-1 "strike":

snap024.jpg

Tom Gordon had replaced Joe Nathan in the top of the 8th and had held the Red Sox down well. With David Ortiz coming up in the 10th, Tom Gordon hung his first pitch of the night, a clothesline curveball, and Ortiz happily put it into the Yankees bullpen for his 3rd home run of the night. With Doug Mirabelli due up next, Tanyon Sturtze started warming up in the bullpen and the Yankees had a mound visit which didn't have any effect on Tom Gordon. Doug Mirabelli worked the count to 3-2 before Tom made his second, and last, mistake pitch of the night - a fastball right down the middle. Mirabelli put it to left field and gave the Red Sox a 5-3 lead which the Yankees couldn't come back on. Tanyon Sturtze came in for Tom Gordon and retired the next batter on a strikeout, and Keith Foulke closed out the 10th for the Red Sox, going 1-2-3.

Notes:

Johnny Damon continued his inactivity at the plate, only grabbing a single up the middle in his last at-bat of the night, going 1 for 5 and raising his average to .143.

Edgar Renteria went 4 for 5 with 2 runs and 1 RBI, only making an out on his last at-bat.

Derek Jeter increased his average to .385, going 2 for 5.

Bernie Williams was hitless in his 2 at-bats and was pinch-hit for by Nick Johnson and replaced in the field by Bubba Crosby who also went 0 for 2. Bernie hasn't had a hit so far this season.

Hideki Matsui went 2 for 4 with a walk and a run scored, setting his average to .333, while Jorge turned his hitting around, going 2 for 3 with 2 RBI and a walk, increasing his average to .300.

The final lines were 5 runs on 14 hits and 2 errors for the Red Sox and 3 runs on 10 hits for the Yankees.

Wade Miller pitched 7 innings, allowing 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks and getting 4 strikeouts.

Mike Timlin pitched 1 inning, allowing 2 hits but no runs.

Keith Foulke pitched 2 innings and allowed 1 run on 2 hits, but got 3 strikeouts and the win.

Mike Mussina pitched only 4 innings allowing 8 hits, 3 runs and 1 walk while not getting a strikeout. His ERA closes at 6.75.

Joe Nathan pitched 3 effective innings, allowing only 3 hits and getting 1 strikeout.

Tom Gordon pitched 2 and a third innings, allowing 2 runs on 3 hits and getting 2 strikeouts while taking the loss.

Tanyon Sturtze faced only 1 batter, striking him out.

The Red Sox take the series 2-1.

Couple things:

1) We both know some of those trades wouldn't of been made in real life, but you made all of the moves I would have if I was the GM of the team.

2) Did you get J.C. Romero, or Juan Rincon?? In one post you said you got Romero, but in another Rincon. Which is it??

3) Depending on your style of play, you could probably move on of your 3 closers!! to some other teams for maybe some good Top 100 Minor Leaguer's and some guys to get that bench deeper.

4) How in hell did you get Joe Nathan to pitch 3 innings for you??? Thats INSANE!!

Other than that, great stuff man, keep it up. I may not be a supporter of what the Yankees do in real life, but I am a supporter of what you are doing!!

If the Yankees continue to struggle in real life, and by the grace of God, Steinbrenner sees your Dynasty, Cashman may be out, and you may be flying into the Bronx for an interview!! :p :p

1) Thanks. The rotation as it is is pretty hoirrible, IMO.

2) It was J.C. Romero. I have no idea why I typed Juan Rincon. :lol:

3) Yeah, I could, but I kind of like the Yankees minor leagues. They aren't the best in the league, but with my months of work on the rosters, I feel as if I know them.

4) Joe was pretty tired when I took him out, he was at 38%. He had only given up one hit until just before I took him out when he allowed 2 straight singles. I almost took him out after the first, but for some reason, I didn't. Tom got out of the inning, though.

That was a tough loss to swallow in the last game. Just came back and I was behind again.

Thanks for the comments. Made a slightly p'd off guy pretty happy. :D

Archived