Workout Routines

NYM

What workout routines do you use to keep in shape during the season? I do this on a saily basis in order:

1- I lift eight pound weights (nothing serious only about 20 lifts per arm) (i dont belive in lifting weights seriously until sophmore year)

2- I do 200 crunches on the AB LOUNGE.

2- I run for a mile on the tredmill.

I do this to keep in shape during the season. When it gets hot out (spring and summer) I run outside with my friends about a mile or two. Once I get into sophmore year in HS ill start lifting some realy weights to build up some arm strength.

I don't have a season as such because I just pitch a game when I'm needed (and am actually able to), but I've been trying to work out my upper body a little recently, especially my stomach. I dropped 3 pounds last week by just switching from soft drinks (Coke, mainly) to more milk instead, and this week I've been drinking more milk and less Coke. Workout wise, I try to get in at least 30 sit ups a day, usually split morning and night. When I get my physio started for my knee, I'll probably end up on a more solid regime and hopefully I'll get back into running, which tones the legs up a lot.

Check with the high school football coach. They usually have regular workout schedules.

That's what we did when I played baseball in high school. And we started lifting when I was in middle school, I made the team during my 8th grade year.

I don't remember a lot about specifics, but each day of the week focused on a separate part of the body. Mon / Wed / Fri were usually weight days and Tues / Thurs were cardio workouts.

I usually do plyometrics (power) and heavy weights (strength) 2 to 3 times a week when time permits.....and running or cycling or lite weights (cardio) after a game or a workout..........for the heavy stuff, I've bought into the idea to do a set to complete failure...this helps cut down on time....don't know if would recommend this just yet, because I haven't been doing it that long...but I have seen big gains and I have plenty of time to recover.......I'm also on a tight nutrition schedule, I can say this has helped a lot......if I was anybody, that's where I would start....the nutrition

• 4 weeks later...

As a pitcher, back when I played we were always instructed to do lighter weights many times to build stamina and also to not hinder our flexibility with bulk. A lot of time was spent on the lower body and midsection, since it delivers the most strength when pitching. Lots of running, stair drills, a think we called "pick-ups", poles, crunches, with weights, we did a lot of leg lifts, calf raises, and for the upper body we did rips, curls, and tricep extensions and pretty much left it at that.

There are certain lifts you dont want to do like bench and clings...but there is nothing wrong with bulking the bi/triceps up. I do a lot of rubber band stuff, lift heavily for legs, and bi/triceps. I run 3 miles a day 4 days a week. Lots of pushups. Situps and crunches arent really super for you...its mostly proper dieting and nutrition. I stopped drinking all sodas and only drink water and milk etc. Also started using some GNC stuff to keep in shape. Medicine balls= awesome. 3 years ago, i was 200 lbs with a big flabby stomach and man boobies...i started working out hardcore using this philosophy w/ my pitching coach. I'm in much MUCH better shape.

Well well, looks like Ill be doing a new workout routine. Im going to be playng football. Im not even in the school and the assistant athletic director of football came to my house. He wants me to try out for football (which wont interfere with baseball). My Uncle (Sam Deluca) used to play for the New York Jets and was telling me the other day I got to start lifting some weights and run and run and run. And with all this muscle I build up Ill be smacking HR when I go to Cooperstown this summer in the HR Derby.....which the coach recruted me also.

Arms:

1.Bench 175 20 reps (Warm-Up)

2. Bench 215-230 with 5-10 reps

3. Try to max out (usually around 235-240)

4. Dumbells (65-75 pounds)

We do arms usually on Monday Wednesday and Fridays.

Legs:

1. Jog about a mile or two for warm up on the track outside

2. Squat (200 warm up)

3. Squat 300 about 10-15 times

4. Max out (usually around 375)

5. Leg Press about 350-400

most people on our team take the weekends off, for a break... but i like to say thats what sleeping is for. I usually go to planet fitness and do the same thing on the weekends if i have time. During the baseball season we do the same thing, but more arms than legs.

Wieght lifting is horrible for baseball players. It will build mass. You need to stay flexible.

Best things to do are resistance and running. Believe it or not the more you stretch the harder you will throw.

Untrue. A certain amount of weight training is necessary. Certain players at certain positions shouldnt do certain lifts...but everyone should lift. Pitchers should work on their legs, torso and forearms/upper arms. They just shouldnt build muscle in the shoulders.

Position players should build muscle everywhere since it helps with power and speed. IE: BONDS OR MAGUIRE or Pujols

Yeah, don't pull a Richard Hidalgo or anything.

After he signed his big deal, he wanted to prove he was worth it, so he spent all winter in the weight room and lost all his flexibility.

That's exactly like a guy that I know. He was a very good baseball player until he started wrestling. And when he started, he lifted a lot of weights and lost almost all his flexiblity. But, he's one heck of a wrestler. :wink:

Let me make this simple, if you play sports, LIFT WEIGHTS!! There are many ways to workout, some aren't so good for athletes, but resistance training is the only way you can improve your speed of movement and agility (ability to change directions efficiently). It also has positive effects on reaction time and coordination by activating all muscle fibers. Swinging a 32 oz bat only activates the fibers needed to move 32 oz. If you train antagonist muscles the same amount (hamstrings with quads, biceps with triceps, etc.) and go through the full range of movement, you actually GAIN FLEXIBILTY. Look at male gymnasts if you think that's bs. Trust me, I'm a human performance major and know for a fact that the a lot of DIV 1 schools (UVA for example) do the same workout for all sports, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, Swimming, Lacrosse, Soccer, etc.

By the way, if your high school coach doesn't have a mandatory in season and out of season strength training program, then he should be fired. And if he hasn't ever had one, then his supervisor should be fired too. Its absoulutely ridiculous for any hs or above athlete to not be lifting weights. Nowdays, even marathon runners lift. Sorry, but this is obviously a sensitive subject for me.

Wieght lifting is horrible for baseball players. It will build mass. You need to stay flexible.

Best things to do are resistance and running. Believe it or not the more you stretch the harder you will throw.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but that is one of the most ignorant statements that has been around since the 50's. The truth of the matter is that no matter what type of muscle you build or how much you have, flexibility is only determined by how much/often you stretch and do flexibility exercises. Muscles will be flexbile no matter their size.

PLEASE, do not give advice if you are not educated or knowledgeable on a subject. Or at least preface your advice saying that you have no educational expertise to back up your statements.

Do I? yes, a Certified Trainer by AFAA and ACE, have been coaching and training athletes for 15 years, and have a degree in kinesiology and excercise science.

also, for the original poster, DO NOT follow the training routine that your HS FOOTBALL coaches use for their FOOTBALL players. There is a HUGE difference in the sport specific training a baseball player should use and that of a football player. their are certain exercises (overhead shoulder press for one) that a baseball player should never do. Whereas for a football player "push" strength is vital. It puts too much stress on the rotator cuff and labrum (shoulder joint) for a baseball player's repetitive use of his arm.

Now, if "arm strength" or speed is your main goal, then nothing will be more benficial than long toss, rest, and more long toss.

Utilize weight training on baseball specific areas such as torso/core strength, legs, back, triceps and forearms.

hope this helps....

Doing shoulder press exercises in front of the shoulder with dumbells do not put any pressure on the rotator cuff. Behind the head military press should not be done by any athlete, football or baseball because of rotator cuff stress. Excellent advice about long toss. If your football coach is at all up to date, he will be using olympic style lifts that focus on whole body strength and joint stabilization, not exercises that encourage development of slow twitch fibers which have no real positive effect on atleticism.

Archived