WIP: LA Coliseum

Sean O

Hey all-

So, I started working on this last week, working very long hours and trying every possible thing I could think of to get this the way I wanted. It didn't happen.

I managed to make some great changes, but unfortunately a 100% accurate LA Coliseum is well beyond our means at this time. It is a very complex, difficult park to create in this game, completely different from anything else seen in the major leagues. So, with that said, I just wanted to make sure people realize how rough and somewhat inaccurate and unpolished this will be.

For those who don't know about the LA Coliseum:

An overhead view:

lamem4.jpg

The left field net:

lacol901.jpg

The 1959 World Series against the Chicago White Sox:

lamemcolis.jpg

The left field fence is the shortest in MLB history at just 25', with an incredibly high left field fence. Right and Center field, however, were very deep, with the farthest point measuring 440'. You can see what a strange place this was to play in, until Chavez Ravine was finished.

My mvp version-

The left field net:

lalf.jpg

The deep right field:

larf.jpg

The view from the batter's box:

bat.jpg

A deep triple to right field:

latriple.jpg

A hit from the White Sox in the series:

soxhit.jpg

And just for reference, the original view from the source park:

cleveleft.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys when it's released. Please leave any comments you'd like, I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure how much this is going to be modified to this point, but if someone wants to add the arches and touch things up I'd be much obliged, post with any interest.

Sean O

Looks, nice if you release the OEdited version, I am sure someone will go ahead and edit the textures in the stadium, such as the ads and the net texture and stuff. You do good work with the collision data, good job.

Yeah, the wall doesn't back up to the stands in RF

It isn't. What happens is it connects with the stands for a little bit, then it juts out. While it is closer than I'd like, that picture isn't all that indicative of what's really going on.

rf2.jpg

This is right against the pole, and in reality the LA coliseum hit the crowd right at the foul line back for a bit before jutting out free of the crowd. To be honest, moving the crowd is so annoying that what I have is pretty much close enough, so I will probably just keep it as it is since it gives a good enough approximation of what the park was like.

At the point in this picture where the taller 8' wall actually hits the crowd, it juts away from the shorter wall (very slightly, at first) but it gradually increases as it goes closer towards the turn.

The other side of it:

rf3.jpg

It's pretty fun to play, overall. I'm happy with it, and would love someone to polish it really nicely.

edit:

Also, I should note that the crowd hasn't been moved up to the fence in left field, since that's an insane amount of work and as far as I can tell, would end up with the disappearing image problems, which happens occasionally because of the existing wall system. I guess if anyone wants to edit that, it'd be great, but after all the other time I put into it, that's quite a bit of additional work. It could be worth it though.

Ok, it's up. Hope everyone enjoys, I know I've been enjoying ricochets off the fence.

Also, there are some wall issues that remain and I'm not sure how to fix them, with players not managing to get to the ball despite being like 2' away from it, in the right field turn. Not sure if anyone else will have this problem.

I found some bugs, there is a giant hole behind the wall in left, there no net behind home home plate so when someting goes back there it goes in the tunnel, and when there is a shot of the manager in the dugout and stuff he is like in quicksand the dirt is up to his head so you just see a head on top of dirt, but overall its a whole lot fun to play at and you get a ridiculous amount of runs for both teams

I found some bugs, there is a giant hole behind the wall in left

Yeah, another one of those things to get fixed up by anyone who wants to mod this.

there no net behind home home plate so when someting goes back there it goes in the tunnel

I took that out on purpose, just because the net that was there was pretty minimal, and I couldn't get a good image of what its exact shape was.

and when there is a shot of the manager in the dugout and stuff he is like in quicksand the dirt is up to his head so you just see a head on top of dirt

Unfortunately, the geniuses at EA decided that the .exe file contains the bullpen locations for each park and the grating in front to keep balls from launching into the dugout, so this is one thing that can't be changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived