Baseball Cards: Donruss And Fleer are gone

Tidalwav90

Is it a good thing that Donruss and Fleer is gone?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

(09-02) 15:37 PDT , (AP) --

Lineup changes in the baseball card industry:

_ DONRUSS — Founded in 1954, the Arlington, Texas-based company began producing baseball cards in 1981 and has changed hands several times. Can't make baseball cards in 2006 because it was not granted a license by the Major League Baseball Players Association.

_ FLEER — Started in 1849 as a bubble gum business. Issued its first set of baseball cards in 1959. Along with Donruss, helped break Topps' monopoly in the industry. Fleer, based in Mount Laurel, N.J., announced in May it will no longer produce cards after falling more than $30 million in debt.

_ TOPPS — The publicly traded company issued its first series of baseball cards in 1951 and now has exclusive contracts with such superstars as Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds. Based in New York City, Topps has made baseball cards longer than any other company still in operation.

_ UPPER DECK — The Carlsbad, Calif., company came onto the scene in 1988 and was credited with sprucing up photography and featuring a hologram on the back of cards to ensure authenticity. Bought Fleer's name and toy car business earlier this year.

I do not like Monologies however Topps shows the whole career of a player when Donruss does not (just five yrs at a time) this is dumb! You or a kid buys a card they should see the whole of a player that is the right thing to have on a card.. I have seen a few Fleer cards in my life and they are not that good either. Fleer sometimes comes out with the whole career and sometimes they do not. Cards and anyting else will go up in price no matter if TOPPS the only the company or one of ten.

Archived