Van Halen: David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar

Tidalwav90

David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Gary Cherone (should this even be an option?)

was i around for the beatles? no. does that mean i can't listen to them? no. that was one bullheaded statement.

I agree with you. I grew up in a time when Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith were the popular groups. The Beatles were old, and not around anymore. But what group was my favorite? What group did I like to listen to? The Beatles. Just because a group is before your time doesn't mean that you can't or don't know much about them.

moose is just trying to fit in

BTW how is that working out for you moose

Kraw. he doesn't have to try and fit in, he's been here a long time and he's fit in quite well in here. You got to admit what he said was right though. Even though he was too young to see Roth with Van Halen, he still could appreciate it. I can say the same thing for myself. I am a big Doors fan and I appreciate their music a lot. Jim Morrison was one of my favorites. But I was a very small kid when they were around. I have all of their albums even though I never was aware of them when they played.

Kraw. he doesn't have to try and fit in, he's been here a long time and he's fit in quite well in here. You got to admit what he said was right though. Even though he was too young to see Roth with Van Halen, he still could appreciate it. I can say the same thing for myself. I am a big Doors fan and I appreciate their music a lot. Jim Morrison was one of my favorites. But I was a very small kid when they were around. I have all of their albums even though I never was aware of them when they played.

I wouldn't stick up for me with the general population. it's a quite a death wish i say.

sorry guys no offense but anyone who claims roth was van halen is nuts. not to diminish his showmanship but, eddie van halen spawned millions of wanna be guitar afficianados. after roth left he had a couple of novelty hits and basically disappeared to the vegas circuits. van halen kept selling millions of albums.

there are two things i think of when i hear Van Halen, yes one is eddie's monster licks but i also think of david lee roth. After roth i felt that the songs got mellower and slower. Van Halen became less rock and more pop. Van Halen as a pop band was ok but Van halen as a rock was legendary. Thats why i think roth is and will always be the face of van halen.

OK, I have both the bootleg CD and bootleg video of their performance at the US Festival...

I have every Van Halen CD that they put out...

I have seen both Dave (1984 Tour) and Sammy (2004 Summer Tour) live...

For me, I would much rather have Sammy up there, here's why...

1. As good as they were with Dave, Sammy made them much better and allowed Eddie to grow as a musician, allowing him to explore other ways to make music. There was a huge bone of contention between Dave and Eddie about Ed's playing keyboards on "1984". Dave didn't want Ed to do it telling him "Aw man, nobody wants to see you standing behind keyboards maaaaaaaaannnnn!" With the addition of Sammy as a second guitarist, it made their live shows that much more exciting as both of them would duel every once in a while.

2. Dave's ego would have destroyed the band within a couple of years had he stayed. When people say that he was the face of Van Halen, there's a reason for that. It's because Dave was doing all of the interviews, Dave was doing all of the photo ops, Dave was the one going on the Tonight Show, etc. It got to the point that Ed, Mike and Alex were just his backing group. It got even worse after "Crazy from the Heat" came out. Then Dave's star really began to rise and he was more interested in being a celebrity than in working in Van Halen.

It finally came to a head one day with Ed trying to get him to commit to returning to work on their next album and Dave continually blowing him off. Finally Ed asked him if he wanted to be in Van Halen anymore and Dave answered that it was time for him to be on his own. So Ed went looking for a new lead singer and even toyed with the idea of hiring Patty Smyth for a time. But eventually he settled on the guy that Warner Brothers (VH's record label) wanted to replace Dave with many years before - Sammy Hagar.

3. When Sammy came in the music took off in another direction. Some people call it pop, I like to think of it as mature. With Sammy in the band there was pleanty of room for some introspective stuff (When it's Love) and some hard rockers (Big Money) along with the old-style DLR slap 'n tickle (Finish what ya Started).

4. When given a chance to work again with Van Halen, Dave let his ego get in the way again. After they had laid down a couple of tracks for their Best of Vol 1 CD, they made an appearence at the VMA's. They got a standing ovation and, picking up where he left off, Dave started mugging for the crowd and cameras like nothing had ever happened. Like he was back in the fold and that he was going out on tour again and would have to renew his $1,000,000.00 Paternaty Insurance policy with Lloyds of London.

However, Ed, Mike and Alex were clearly not comfortable with what was going on and it showed. It got even worse backstage when the guys were being interviewed by MTV and they were asked about the future. Ed announced that he was having hip replacement surgery and that any work would have to commence after he had recovered.

When the camera's went off, Dave went ballistic and told Ed that he shouldn't tell anyone that.

Only one problem...Ed couldn't be pushed around by Dave anymore because Ed was sober this time around and was of his right mind. Ed went off on Dave, they had another fight and it was over...again.

Fast forward to when Sammy was offered the gig again. Sammy and Ed were not only to kiss and make up and get in the studio again, but they were able to get out on the road again, and even talk about getting back in the studio again after taking a nice, long rest.

5. Apparently Sammy took a lesson from Gary 's time with the band. When Gary was performing live with the boys, he not only did the songs on his album, but he also did some songs from Sammy's and Dave's tenure with the band. The fans really got off on the fact that they were able to hear "Unchained", "Mean Street", "Romeo Delight" and "Dance the Night Away" in concert again.

Apparently Sammy learned from this because he too took some turns at "Unchained" this tour, and they still had Mike sing lead on "Somebody get me a Doctor". When the the last time Mike sang lead on anything during Dave's time onstage?

6 and last. Sammy shows up sober and ready to rock every single night. There were times during Dave's shows when he was so plastered that he could barely get the words of the songs out. Hell during the US Festival show, he was so hammered that he forgot the words to "Romeo Delight", and that was their opening number!

So that is my case for Sammy over Dave. Now don't get me wrong I liked Van Halen with dave, but I love Van Halen with Sammy.

Archived