Hmmm...TC3 crashes...Thoughts?

tks

I may be the only one that cannot seem to run TC3. I have not read any messages from others saying they are having a problem.

First of all, my machine specs.

...Win98SE

...512MB memory

...Radeon 9600XT card

...DirectX 9.0c

...72GB HD

At first (about 3 weeks ago) I added TC3 on top of the game I was currently playing but it kept crashing when I went to play with TC3 teams, so I decided to wait until I had finished my season (dynasty).

So yesterday, I did a complete uninstall of MVP '05 to eliminate any TC3 conflict with mods, cyberfaces, uniforms, stadiums, etc. that I had loaded into MVP '05.

Then did a brand new installation and did not add any mods or cyberfaces, unis, or any other download for MVP '05....except for the MVP Patch1.

I even ran "End It All" to remove anything running in the background.

I then opened TC3 and installation worked perfectly....Went into the game, selected the TC3 teams and advanced to begin playing.....and Whamoo!...crashed to the desk top.

Message on the desktop said..."Dd help....illegal operation"....Hit the start game icon to try again and message came on..."Requires Directx9 and graphics acceleration".

So had to re-boot in order to try to play the game.....I have uninstalled/installed now 3 times and the game continues to crash everytime I go to play the game.

I can make out the lineups...select the pitcher...approve the ballpark, etc. and move to the next screen, until the actual game is to start....Then..Crash!

Have not heard that anyone else is having this problem.....So I sure would appreciate any thought any of you might have.....Sure would hate to be the only one that can't play this game after all the great work that has gone into making TC3.

The only time this happens to me is when:

1) There is a cyberface missing

2) the lineups got screwed up somehow (no pitcher in lineup, etc...)

3) I play in a modded ballpark that added high res images and I have other apps running and not enough memory available.

#1 is the most common reason...but usually only happnes when the player with the missing face appears on the screen weither coming to bat or making a play in the field.

#2 crashes at the same point in the game you described.

#3 crashes usually after a few plays...not immediately upon entering the game after lineups, etc...

C

C

UPDATE!

Game still crashes...so here's what I'm gonna do.....

Manually install each segment of TC3 to see exactly what might be causing the game to crash.

Would really appreciate an answer to 2 questions....

1....There are two ".xls" files (one "audio" and one "portraits"). Do they go into the main "MVP Baseball 2005" directory?

2...There are two ".exe" files (gfxpak and nfshtool). Do they also go into the main directory and will it effect anything if I manually drag and drop them into the game directory?

If anyone can answer these, then I'll be on my way with a great big thank you!

UPDATE!

Game still crashes...so here's what I'm gonna do.....

Manually install each segment of TC3 to see exactly what might be causing the game to crash.

Would really appreciate an answer to 2 questions....

1....There are two ".xls" files (one "audio" and one "portraits"). Do they go into the main "MVP Baseball 2005" directory?

2...There are two ".exe" files (gfxpak and nfshtool). Do they also go into the main directory and will it effect anything if I manually drag and drop them into the game directory?

If anyone can answer these, then I'll be on my way with a great big thank you!

1. The .XLS files are not used by the game at all. They are there for reference in case anyone wants to be able to find out what audio or portrait ID is assigned to any player in the TC3 rosters. For example, if you want to find out what Graig Nettle's portrait ID is on the 1978 Yankees roster, look in the portrait ID spreadsheet.

When I put the spreadsheet together, I ordered it chronologically by team and then each team is ordered alphabetically. So to find Nettles' portrait ID, you would simply scroll down to the '78 Yankees and find his name. You'd see that he is assigned ID #9317. AlexTony did the same thing with the audio spreadsheet he put together.

The idea behind these two spreadsheets is that if people wanted to create their own classic rosters (e.g. all-time teams or specific teams not included with TC3), they could still use the audio and portraits from from TC3.

2. gfxpak and nfshtool are not used by the game itself, but are utilities used to update some of the game files. I'm not positive on this, but I believe the tools are used to import your CTS screen as well as the stadium select screens for Ebbets Field and Memorial Stadium. These images are the .fsh files listed in the TC3 lib / misc folder.

I'm not sure what the proper procedure is to install these manually. For your testing purposes, to isolate your problem, you could probably get away with skipping this step.

Good luck.

Jim825...

Thanks for the reply on the information regarding the "xls" and "exe" files.

After 6 tries to install Tc3, I'm going to do a manual installation...I really don't think it will be any different but maybe, just maybe, I may discover what is causing the game to crash.

If nothing else, I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with playing another dynasty in the "regular" game...

However, I'll really be disappointed not to be able to play Tc3, especailly after seeing the rosters/teams and reading all the great comments about the game and all the hard work that everyone involved has done.

The only bright side to all this (and it isn't much) is that I have now been able to memorize the code on the back cover of the CD! :lmao:

Anyway....Thanks again.....and now off to trying to do a manual and see what happens. Just wish I felt more optimistic about this!

if a manual install does not work, maybe try downloading TC3 again

something has to give, either the installer is having somekind of conflict with your system or the files are corrupt

; Generated by WIN-SFV32 v1.0

; (Compatible: Total Commander 6.53)

logos.big CBB8B30A

models.big 7E267125

portrait.big 9503D254

uniforms.big 49247307

FEENG.LOC E26EDC9B

IGENG.LOC 0E7C9944

58bd.fsh E9104BCA

aa01.fsh 837DC28C

aaa1.fsh 7E0E8D47

l0a.fsh ABADD470

l0b.fsh FF110B52

l0c.fsh 1F3B543A

l0d.fsh 4F7D288C

l0e.fsh FE539C0C

l0f.fsh 20CC35E4

l0g.fsh EEB9B895

l0h.fsh 20F7D090

l0i.fsh 7CEE665A

l0j.fsh D6E0CC9F

l0k.fsh E9104BCA

l0l.fsh 37C9D93E

l0m.fsh 35736656

l0n.fsh 9BB6B281

l0o.fsh 6E6FFA1F

l0p.fsh 49217A58

l0q.fsh 81760BC2

l0r.fsh 47ADB290

l0s.fsh 4808B9A0

l0t.fsh 8E1B973D

l0u.fsh 387823AF

l994.fsh 2593D2D0

l997.fsh D874827F

l998.fsh AEF183A7

cooplay.big 63CDB2EB

ingame.big 63CDB2EB

coopov.big 39F98995

igonly.big 39F98995

fbstats.dat A77B5668

hist.dat E5C1E4F9

lhbstats.dat B2E8A839

manager.dat 0A396EFF

org.dat A8FF59EB

rhbstats.dat FCAB97E8

roster.dat A6136D6A

bstats.dat 75E3BD43

career.dat 0A6AD23C

careerp.dat 3FC0A9C8

lhpstats.dat 9CABE4C4

pstats.dat C2E611C4

rhattrib.dat DAB3C530

rhpstats.dat E45DD943

attrib.dat FFD61FAC

lhattrib.dat 02F59EA3

pitcher.dat 151D726F

team.dat 4992D289

tstat.dat 4EC308EF

aa01nite.big AFBCB821

aaa1nite.big 4F5E33C7

aaa1nite.txt 2E34C138

yankday.big 93583E76

tigrnite.big 44C5A9A5

spotday.big B4A233F5

clevday.big F59AE4D5

poloday.big AA4EC37A

krawhitham...(and anyone else that might be interested)

I downloaded "SFX checker" so I could compare the codes I downloaded to the ones you listed.....I did find one corrupt file.

In the "misc" folder the "58db.fsh" file had a code of 81760BC2, not the E9104BCA which you indicated. The 81760BC2 code was identical to "10q.fsh".

As a result, I downloaded TC3 again and then compared all file codes once again and everything checked A-OK!

That's the good news...Bad news is the game still crashes after installing with the correct code files!!!

I am getting to be one frustrated potential TC3 player.....and now more determined than ever to get this thing straightened out.....I know there is an answer and (as of now) I'm too stubborn to quit.....So...

Now I'm going to try a manual install. I'm pretty sure of the following:

#1...It appears that the following files go into the "frontend" folder..

...logos.big

...portrait.big

...uniforms.big

...and the 4 files in the "olay" folder

#2...The 2 files in the "loc" folder to the main "data" folder...

#3...The"stadium" files (with the exception of aaa1nite.txt) to the "stadium" folder.

#4..."models.big" to the main "MVP" directory

#5...Files in the "Roster" folder to the "database" folder

#6....The one mystery I haven't figured out are all the ".fsh" files in the "misc" folder....I used "Big Gui" to look at all the game folders and I didn't see any .fsh files that are similar to the ones in the "misc" folder.....Maybe they just are added to the main "MVP" directory and are dispersed from there??

Anyway....manual install is just about my final option.

It can be done....I know it...I know it...I know it!

I develop soundscripts for another PC software game....and man that seems a lot easier than trying to get this to work. I refuse to believe I am the only one that is unable play this great game.

Signed.....Frustrations R Us! :hmph:

The .fsh files are used for the CTS screens and also, I believe, for the preview screens for Ebbets Field and Baltimore Memorial Stadium. You should be able to do your manual install and ignore these files. Other than some small cosmetic issues (you'll see the default AAA and AA stadium preview screen for Ebbets Field and Memorial Stadium), there will be no effect on the game if you don't install them.

Thanks for the info. Jim825....appreciate it.

And the saga continues....I am going more or less by process of elimination

I now realize the game crashes anytime I go to edit a player, regardless of the player and/or team.....as soon as I select the player and hit "advance", the game crashes which leads me to believe there could be a conflict with the uniform file or with assigned (non-generic) cyberfaces.

Question (for anyone)....

#1....Can a player have 2 different designed faces? EXAMPLE:...Jim Rice ('75 RedSox) and Rich Allen ('74 WhiteSox) both, according to MVPEdit, have face number #873.

#2....Can a player have a designed face on one team and a generic face on another team? EXAMPLE:...Ron Santo has face #401 with the '74 WhiteSox and face #903 with the '69 Cubs.

Could either situation cause the game to crash?....(I kind of expect the answer in both examples to be "no", or other users would have the same problem.)

Anyway, the search for success continues!

#1....Can a player have 2 different designed faces? EXAMPLE:...Jim Rice ('75 RedSox) and Rich Allen ('74 WhiteSox) both, according to MVPEdit, have face number #873.

This is fine. Each player has his own "identity" and entry in the roster files, and using the same face for multiple players, is fine. There are plenty of players using the generic faces (901 - 915), and these don't cause any problems. It's the same situation as when a player appears on multiple teams and he uses the same portrait for each team.

#2....Can a player have a designed face on one team and a generic face on another team? EXAMPLE:...Ron Santo has face #401 with the '74 WhiteSox and face #903 with the '69 Cubs.

Same answer as #1. Each player on each roster has his own individual entry within the roster files. Those players that appear on multiple rosters have multiple entries (one for each team they appear on). Therefore there is no conflict or problem. This is a similar situation where a player appears on multiple teams and he has a different portrait on each team. In this situation, he is assigned a different portrait ID for each team.

Could either situation cause the game to crash?....(I kind of expect the answer in both examples to be "no", or other users would have the same problem.)

Neither one of these situations should cause the game to crash.

I'm another Win98 user who gets similar errors from TC3. I think it has to be something that my system doesn't like about something in the models.big, since it gets all the way to the start of a game before it crashes. I also got those errors when I tried using uMachines' 2xLite uniforms. I never bothered to look at the models.big to see if the uniforms were 1x, 2x, or 2xLite, though.

I'm another Win98 user who gets similar errors from TC3. I think it has to be something that my system doesn't like about something in the models.big, since it gets all the way to the start of a game before it crashes. I also got those errors when I tried using uMachines' 2xLite uniforms. I never bothered to look at the models.big to see if the uniforms were 1x, 2x, or 2xLite, though.

fizzjob...

You may well be right. I know little to nothing about systems but the problem may relate to having Win98. I sure can't determine any other reason.

Just for your information....I am now in the middle of installing manually (copy/paste) and have determined what does and doesn't work.

Proceedure......After manually installing each Classics file I would start the game to see if it crashed or not.

Results...

...Uniforms. big....game did not crash.

...Logos.big....game did not crash.

...portrait.big....game did not crash.

...Audio folder....game did not crash.

...loc folder (contained feeng.loc & igeng.loc files)....game did not crash.

...olay folder (contained 4 .big files)....game did not crash

...stadium folder....game did not crash.

...rosters folder (contained database data)....game crashed!

............re-installed original database folder....game did not crash.

...models big....game crashed!

............re-installed original models. big file....game did not crash.

...misc. folder (.fsh files)....not needed to run Tc3..not installed.

I'm getting closer to figuring this out but still sooooo far away...However, my problem is definitely in the models.big file and/or the database files.

It might be that one is dependant on the other...I don't know enough to determine but so far....I feel like I just built a beautiful automobile but can't get the ^%&&$ engine to run! :shrug:

I will keep trying to see what else I can learn.....I may even try (assuming I have nothing better to do) going into MVPedit and changing every designer cyberface to a generic face (900 series) since (according to what I have read) designer cyberfaces sometimes seem to cause the game to crash.

I have defintely learned one thing....Either I am the most stubborn blankety-blank on this earth...or...I need to get a life! :lmao:

Archived