how are you connected to the MLB?

awesome

A friend of the family played ball in the Dodgers system, I think.

He played a few years, got married, and his wife made him choose between baseball and her.

He chose her.

She left him a year later.

His name's Ray Calhoun if you wanted to know.

I've played church league softball with the guy.

Dude is HUGE.

We never quite had enough yard to keep the ball in when he hit.

I know it's just softball... but those were some good looking shots.

Another guy I know was my aunt's old high school boyfriend.

I don't know the whole story, but I was told he got drafted by somebody and was in signing talks when all of a sudden he just changed his mind.

I can't remember his last name, so I'll get back to you on that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i keep realizing some connections...

my uncle is a 6'8'' 250 lb bouncer, he used to own his own bar and is now a bodyguard. he was derek jeters bodyguard on his b-day and knows david wells and michael strahan through clubs that they own. it isnt MLB related but my uncle is good friends with strahan and gets season tickets for the giants.

Ed Siever

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sieveed01.shtml

Related directly somehow. I beleive from my great great grandfather was his brother, as our family moved east to west and sort of scattered all over canada and the US.

Also, reading about Ed Siever, he once got into a fight with Ty Cobb (as did most of his teammates)

Also my roomate at University was good friends with Jimmy Rollins. Jimmy sent him some mlb bats with his name stamped onto them. Roomy wouldn't let me buy one of the five he sent over.

I played with Brian McCann, Kyle Davies, Blaine Boyer, and Jeff Francoeur growing up til about 16 years old. Played with Brandon Phillips and Jemel Spearman (2B in the Cubs Farm) on a summer team one year. Faced Macay McBride one time (K'd). Played a few games against Corey Patterson, Jeremy Hermida

I got to play with Andruw Jones' cousin during a summer.

Played against Nick Markakis when he was at Young Harris JC. That series he was like 10-13 with 4 HR's. Threw a 2-hit, 15K shutout in the series opener. Sad that he's not a pitcher in the big leagues either.

Actually got to face Mark Texieria in an AB while he was at Ga. Tech (walked him of course) and Matt Murton hit a double off me into the right center field gap that hit the wall, but would have also hit the 2nd baseman in the chest it was hit so hard, haha.

There's a few more guys that I played with who are in the minors right now who probably won't make it. I guess if you can't tell, I'm a Georgian. Still have many connections within MLB, especially with the Braves. =)

Archived