how are you connected to the MLB?

awesome

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No relatives, but I once hit a home run off Steve Farr, who played for the Indians, Royals, and Yankees. He was in the majors for 11 years (1984-1994).

Before he was signed by Pittsburgh in 1976, he played several years in our local sandlot/industrial league. I batted against him a number of times. He mainly threw fastballs, 85-88 mph.

After the pros got him, they taught him a curve ball. The curve became his out pitch, along with great control. He was a pretty good relief pitcher for a number of years. He had a decent pro career.

• 3 weeks later...

I played with or against several major leaguers. Ho-hum...

Keith Foulke

Mike Sirotka

Phil Nevin

Adam Dunn

Paul Byrd

Kelly Wunsch

I happy for some of them, but other's making it just pi$$es me off. Not all good things happen to nice people...some good things happen to jerks. Yes, a bit of sour grapes here. Of all that I was teammates with that made it, Sirotka was my favorite...great guy. :)

• 1 month later...

I played with or against several major leaguers. Ho-hum...

Keith Foulke

Mike Sirotka

Phil Nevin

Adam Dunn

Paul Byrd

Kelly Wunsch

I happy for some of them, but other's making it just pi$$es me off. Not all good things happen to nice people...some good things happen to jerks. Yes, a bit of sour grapes here. Of all that I was teammates with that made it, Sirotka was my favorite...great guy. :)

What's your opinion on Nevin? He gets a bad rap sometimes, but I was wondering what a former teammate thinks about the guy,

My baseball coach in high school was Don August, who played for the Brewers from 1988-91. He had the best stories especially about his time in Vietnam when he played. I also tripled off him during a practice game once.

As for Don, he still pitches on a local club. He has the biggest rubber-arm I've ever seen. He pitched 14 innings (give or take 2) once, and I believe he pitched again the next day.

Here's my cousin.

He's been the color guy on radio for the Chicago White Sox since 1992 with John Rooney. Rooney just left this past off season so my cousin will be doing play by play this year.

• 1 month later...

I dont know if this counts, but I think it was my great great grandfathers brother was signed by the Brooklyn Dodgers, but he died the day before he was to leave on a train in a mining accident. Thats the closest that I am to being related to a MLB player.

Clint Barmes is from my home town in Indiana. I know his family very well and played some basketball with him when he was in his early teens. Scott Rolen is from about 20 minutes away from my hometown, and I know alot of people that went to High School with him, but I don't know him personally.

I've eaten at Don Mattingly's restaraunt in Evansville, Indiana many times, and have gotten to speak to him once.

Does that count? :)

My boss played for both the Sox and the Cubs, he was named double AA mvp for the Sox beating out Mags Ordonez and then was traded to the Cubs and made it to triple AAA in Des Moines and went to spring training three years in a row with the Cubs and his last year was the last player cut ( brant Brown mad it instead ) I love sitting around listening to his story's.

I was looking at his plaque for mvp and the guy hit .304 with 27 homeruns and 107 rbi's...Im thinking what are you doing sitting here as my boss... his name is Harold Williams

I played catch a couple of times as a kid with Kevin Millwood after church, where his uncle was our preacher.

I went to the same high school as Wes Helms.

And when I worked for the newspaper, I had this great interview with Buddy Lewis, a multiple All-Star for the Washington Senators before and after WWII. He's one of the guys standing behind Lou Gehrig on the day he gave his "Today I consider myself...." speech.

--Eric

my dad played semi-pro baseball in florida, and he was good friends with jose rijo. they tried out at the yankees complex in fort lauderdale, thats when they first signed rijo. my dad was a decent pitcher, his fastball hit high 80's and had a good sinker (still has it lol).

hmm, what else...my dad also went to the same high schoool as willie randolph. whenever his high school team played the scouts were all over willie.

No relations. What can you expect? I live in Norway.

Since we're kind of on the subject, my wife is from Voss, Norway. The same town as Knute Rockne. (old time NFL player)

I'm planning to visit your beautiful country very soon, Emil. As a matter of fact, she's giving me a tour of Oslo too. What's the best beer in Norway?? :D

Archived