on occaison.

in this photo,,he is the third guy from your right side edge of the photo

http://the-light.com/mens/samson/4/hod1.jpg

not sure about the date of this photo,,sometime in the late 1920s or early

1930s

this shot is from 1931,,in this one he is the second guy from your left

http://the-light.com/mens/samson/4/houseof5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok. My cousin i used to play baseball against John Francos Oldest son and My cousin palyed basketball with him. But the more famous encounter would be my friend eric whos cousin is jason marquis. I met him when they were playing at shea and it was an off day. We spent about 20 min. talking baseball.

My gradparents grew up with Phil Rizzuto. Went to the same high school as Rob Dibble. Played American Legion Ball against Scott Burrel.

You went to the same high school as Rob Dibble (Southington, CT)? So did I. I graduated in 1979, a year before Dibble did. Carl Pavano also went to Southington High.

I went to the same college as Tim Wakefield (Florida Institute of Technology). I graduated in 1983. Wakefield played at F.I.T. from 1986 - 88 and is the first and only F.I.T. player to make it to the major leagues.

My (2nd) cousin was Dan Quisenberry, former submarine-style reliever for the Royals and Cardinals.

When I was in little league, we went and had a pitching clinic at Busch Stadium with John Frascatore and ... some other dude I can't remember now. We got to throw in the bullpen, which was cool.

Oh, and when I used to work at Target (long ago), Dmitri Young and his girlfriend (at the time) used to come in and have me look through the new shipments of Hot Wheels for ones he didn't have. He was a collector. In return, he left pretty-good tickets to the Cards home games for me at the Will Call Window. Then he was replaced at 1st base by some dude named Mark McGwire. So Young was off to Cincinnati and then Detroit... and then, apparently, prison. lol.

• 3 weeks later...

A guy on my dad's baseball team was supposedly the first draft pick evr by the Cardinals. His name is Cy. I can't find any records of him though. He played in the Cardinals Minor League system, but never made it to the big leagues. He said he was drafted in the '50s, but the first draft was in '65, so I don't know. He's 70 or 80 now, and he's still really good for a man his age. he doesn't play anymore, he's a bench coach, but he knows more about baseball than I'd ever hope to know.

I know I bumped the thread :)

• 2 weeks later...

I knew this guy whos Grandpa struck out Ralph Kiner in the army, he hit a home run off him the next AB though. My grandfather also got an offer to play baseball but went to war instead. My great uncle or something (I'm Swiss I have a lot family members) went to play with Detroits farm team but got homesick and came back.

• 2 weeks later...

My police officer cousin gets me anywhere in Yankee Stadium for free.

(Dugout, field, "Yankee Wives Seats", Box Seats, etc.)

Last time I went underground, watched the game with the Yank Wives, and then played baseball on the field after the game with my family.

My entire family was born Yankees fans. So I guess there was no second thoughts when my cousin took the police job at Yankee Stadium. So even though I live in Queens we're all Yankees fans.

Except for my mother, she's always the oddball at everything we do. When I was little she tried to get me to wear a Mets t-shirt.

Yeah when I was little, my uncle tried to put a Mets shirt on me. I was only four and I told him no, and that "The Mets stink."

My cousin's friend is in charge of the food department at the stadium, so I can get free food. But playing on the field is better lol.

I played little league with Chet Lemon's son Chad. Chet coaches a team called Chet Lemon's Juice in a town called Sanford, which is really close to Orlando, FL where I live. But I never played with his other son Marcus who just got drafted. And I met Ken Griffey Jr. once at Borders Books in Orlando. Other than that, I got nothin.

I had Jeff Francouer as a substitue teacher back when I was in 7th grade. It was right before or after his rookie year in minor league ball. It was only a one time thing though. His mom is a math teacher at Parkview's middle school.

Archived