Today's POTD (3-3-06)

Yankee4Life

Here it is again, so you can see it here:

A lot of you were asking if he was safe or out. Well, I decided to see for myself. Based on what I saw from this picture, it told me a few things right away: that this was the 1972 World Series, because this is when Gene Tenace, the Oakland catcher, and Dave Concepcion, the runner who was sliding into home, played against each other. Also, that the game was played in Oakland because Concepcion has on his road uniform. The 1972 World Series went seven games and the Reds were the home team in games 1,2, 6 and 7. So this had to happen in games 3, 4 or 5. Here's what I found:

Game 3: The Reds beat Oakland 1 - 0. The only run was scored by Tony Perez. Concepcion did not even play this game. Shortstop Darell Chaney did. That takes care of this game.

Game 4: Oakland beat Cincinnati 3 - 2. Concepcion played this game and got a hit and he scored a run, but the run he scored was on a two run double by Bobby Tolan in the eighth inning that also scored Joe Morgan. Concepcion did not slide home on this hit because he was on third base at the time of Tolan's double.

Game 5: Cincinnati beat Oakland 5 - 4. This is the game where this picture took place. Chaney again started the game but Concepcion came in as a pinch hitter and got two at bats. This happened in the ninth inning after the Reds took a 5-4 lead. Joe Morgan hit in a double play to end the inning as he hit a fly ball to right field and this is how the inning was finished as Concepcion was thrown out trying to score.

So, he was OUT!, as Kraw said.

Archived